• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Share your STEVE DITKO OA

65 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Timely said:

So I did a breakdown of all the Ditko Spider-Man art.  I'm sharing this because some might find it useful or at least interesting.

There are 42 comic books total with Ditko Spider-Man art: Amazing Fantasy #15, ASM #1-38, ASM Annual #1 & 2 & Strange Tales Annual #2

Total number of Spider-Man Ditko pieces: 897

Total number of Spider-Man Ditko covers: 42

Total number of Spider-Man Ditko pages: 826

Total number of Spider-Man Ditko pin-ups: 29

Total number of Spider-Man Ditko pages without Spider-Man on it: 223

Total number of Spider-Man Ditko pages with Spider-Man on it: 674

Total number of Spider-Man Ditko pages with Spider-Man on it in action or in battle: 531

Total number of Spider-Man Ditko full splash pages with Spider-Man on it: 45

Total number of Spider-Man Ditko 1/3 splash pages with Spider-Man on it: 87

Total number of Spider-Man Ditko 1/4, 1/2 & 2/3 splash pages with Spider-Man on it: 13

This is a cool breakdown. Counting on my fingers, 22 of those books are known to be Out There, most of them broken up, and one is at the LoC.  I'm sure the rest also exist. 

7 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Not all of those 42 covers are pure Ditko.  AF 15 Kirby pencils; SM 1 Kirby pencils; SM 10 has a Kirby Spider-Man; Strange Tales Annual 2 has no Ditko at all if I'm not mistaken...

Ditko inks! (thumbsu

2 hours ago, glendgold said:

I've always wondered what the story behind this cover is. You'd think it would have Dr Strange on it. I think it was repurposed from a pin up -- maybe Steve was working full speed and didn't have time for a cover? 

asm annual 2.jpg

Kinda like the ASM 38 cover.

On 9/5/2019 at 3:45 PM, hippiecop said:

Yeah.  I've always been certain that it's just a stat "mash-up" of images from the previous issues' panels, but always been too lazy to look 'em up...

Regarding ASM Annual 2 cover: I don't recall the large standing figure in previous issues.  I figure that was drawn by Ditko as the start of the cover or maybe for a pin-up.  The smaller figures look like paste-ups and seem familiar from previous issues..

The standing figure was reversed and used for the cover corner box later on in the series.

Edited by Unca Ben

You know, you're right.  I just assumed it was taken from the corner box, but the "head" corner box was used into the early 40s issues.  That image wasn't used in the corner until after Ditko left the book.  I guess the mystery will remain.  (Unless the currently unknown Annual #2 cover ever surfaces...)

Question for the masses. 

Who drew this ad page from Amazing Spider-Man #1? 

Considering it is housed within Spidey's 2nd book, only Ditko & Kirby had drawn Spider-Man up to this point... & it doesn't look like either one of them drew it!

Thoughts?

asm1Adpage.jpg

Edited by Timely

57 minutes ago, Timely said:

Question for the masses. 

Considering it is housed within Spidey's 2nd book, only Ditko & Kirby had drawn Spider-Man up to this point... & it doesn't look like either one of them drew it!

Thoughts?

asm1Adpage.jpg

Sol Brodsky?

1 hour ago, Timely said:

Question for the masses. 

Thoughts?

asm1Adpage.jpg

Looks like I drew it at age 11

I'd forgotten about this thread.  Since my last OA contribution, with thanks to the Grape Ape, I very happily acquired the splash page to ASM # 32.  Yeah, no Spidey, but the middle chapter from the absolutely classic Master Planner storyline - so I couldn't be happier.

dRSm0Mxq_2912190556571sbpi.thumb.jpg.36aa784a1a666d209e0aa15de59a8c54.jpg

My old Captain Atom # 80 cover (1966) recently sold on Comic-Link and I've now consigned my Nukla # 4 cover (1966) to their next big auction.

5KL4PxBm_281119081340lola.thumb.jpg.f7969e943900aea96134ea663fc267eb.jpg

2 hours ago, The Voord said:

I'd forgotten about this thread.  Since my last OA contribution, with thanks to the Grape Ape, I very happily acquired the splash page to ASM # 32.  Yeah, no Spidey, but the middle chapter from the absolutely classic Master Planner storyline - so I couldn't be happier.

dRSm0Mxq_2912190556571sbpi.thumb.jpg.36aa784a1a666d209e0aa15de59a8c54.jpg

My old Captain Atom # 80 cover (1966) recently sold on Comic-Link and I've now consigned my Nukla # 4 cover (1966) to their next big auction.

5KL4PxBm_281119081340lola.thumb.jpg.f7969e943900aea96134ea663fc267eb.jpg

At first glance, on the bottom edge I thought it said "PUNCH STEVE DITKO". lol