• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please someone help me in NOT buying ROM #1 !!

36 posts in this topic

Im the only odd one here. I love books like Dazzler 1, Alpha Flight 1, X-Factor 1... Been buying tons of NM copies when they came my way for dirt cheap (yup, I bought 300 copies of Dazzler 1 from Koch Warehouse some 4 years ago for $100, they all ended up being error editions). If you have the patience youd sub the best ones, or simply list them for $10-20 and sell them slowly, theres a great market for those books, and although most gave up on specing on them, just look how well New Mutants #1, Punisher #1 (solo), and Spawn #1 did while they were selling for equal prices years ago.

I shy away from specing on books that have already broke the 20+ barrier which are over printed. You simply dont know where they will go and at $20+ a pop thats kinda risky for me. 

Wanna laugh? just look how much Alpha Flight #1 9.8 closed a couple of days ago

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpha-Flight-1-CGC-9-8-White-pgs-1st-app-Puck-and-Marrina-Byrne-c-20681/362440680029?epid=85470705&hash=item546325e25d:g:jKUAAOSwK9lbpRk4

And on an average youd get 80-130 for it. Now thats a book I love to invest in!

18 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Im the only odd one here. I love books like Dazzler 1, Alpha Flight 1, X-Factor 1... Been buying tons of NM copies when they came my way for dirt cheap (yup, I bought 300 copies of Dazzler 1 from Koch Warehouse some 4 years ago for $100, they all ended up being error editions). If you have the patience youd sub the best ones, or simply list them for $10-20 and sell them slowly, theres a great market for those books, and although most gave up on specing on them, just look how well New Mutants #1, Punisher #1 (solo), and Spawn #1 did while they were selling for equal prices years ago.

I shy away from specing on books that have already broke the 20+ barrier which are over printed. You simply dont know where they will go and at $20+ a pop thats kinda risky for me. 

Wanna laugh? just look how much Alpha Flight #1 9.8 closed a couple of days ago

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpha-Flight-1-CGC-9-8-White-pgs-1st-app-Puck-and-Marrina-Byrne-c-20681/362440680029?epid=85470705&hash=item546325e25d:g:jKUAAOSwK9lbpRk4

And on an average youd get 80-130 for it. Now thats a book I love to invest in!

What you're doing makes total sense. You're the smart one here. 

As was mentioned earlier, I just recall so many copies of Rom 1 sitting in 25 cent bins for so many years, I just can't justify paying more than a buck for it. Even if a movie comes out and ROM is suddenly a household name, I don't care. I just can't do it. Rom is right there alongside US 1, Team America, and all of the New Universe books in the discount bin of my mind.

9 hours ago, divad said:

Btw, I think the last issue is much more desirable . . .  :grin:

AUgaJZ.jpg

Well that is certainly a nice PCR cover! You're probably on to something there. I saw two Rom #'1 at my LCS just this weekend, but I don't know if I've ever actually seen a 75.

On October 16, 2018 at 10:59 AM, F For Fake said:

Well that is certainly a nice PCR cover! You're probably on to something there. I saw two Rom #'1 at my LCS just this weekend, but I don't know if I've ever actually seen a 75.

I come across #75 much more often than #1 in my neck of the woods for what it's worth.

On 9/28/2018 at 11:44 AM, NoMan said:

I see it there on the wall, it's calling my name as a sure fire way to make some bread in, oh, 20 years or so when I cash out . Like the guy that wants to sell you an oil well that "can't lose." I just get that feeling with ROM #1; You can't lose!

Now I never read ROM so it's not something I much care about.  Some say the story line is pretty ok, the Dire Wriths are a super cool villains.  I believe 'em. Just not my thing. 

There's gonna be a movie, probably several dozen in 20 years times. Reboot after reboot after reimagining or whatever non-word the (un)creative types in Hollywood use . A whole cinematic universe of Hasbro toys or Meco or whatever the heck the company that made it was. Parker Brothers? There's the nostalgia from the kids with that grew up with it that in 20 years will want to buy their youth back. So, you know, I think there's something there.

Of course I collect what I like and I'm perfectly aware there's more to this hobby than money, so no need for that lecture. Please?  Pretty Please? 

However I'm also a human living in a world of buying and selling and money and it just seems like a sure fire 20 year investment. Hell it's only 40$ or so decent shape. 

But I just can't seem to pull the trigger. Like She Hulk #1. Man we threw that stuff across the room back in the day it was so bad and now look at it.

Anybody else know the feeling or have had it with what I'm going through with this ROM #1 

Let's see Rom was one of the most underrated comics of the 1980s. Will be part of the Transformers cinematic universe and is owned by Hasbro the biggest toy company in the world.

All huge upsides.

Hasbro putting Rom in the Transformers movie universe basically will give Rom new life and exposure to millions of new fans kind of like Groot and Rocket Raccoon.

So the odds are good Rom comics will get a price bump do to movie hype. Really not a bad speculative gamble.

Hasbro is a pretty savy company that own two huge ips GI Joe and Transformers so I could see them trying to make Rom a hit. Another one would be Micronauts.

Btw Rom was a decent comic book. 

It might not have been Frank Miller's Daredevil or Byrne's X-MEN, but I put it against most comic books that are coming out today. 

It lasted 75 issues. Not to shabby.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 10/17/2018 at 8:10 PM, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

I come across #75 much more often than #1 in my neck of the woods for what it's worth.

That’s interesting... here in the Toronto area, ROM #1’s are plentiful, but #75 is quite difficult to find, perhaps it’s simply a matter of regional distribution variances back in the day.

8 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

That’s interesting... here in the Toronto area, ROM #1’s are plentiful, but #75 is quite difficult to find, perhaps it’s simply a matter of regional distribution variances back in the day.

I could just be coincidence on my end, or that people are hoarding the #1. I cannot recall the last time I came across a #1 in a collection. Frankly, no one seems to have a ROM collection, but there's often a #75 in a person's collection for some reason...