• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 100-Page DC Giants at Wal-Mart
1 1

18 posts in this topic

I remember hearing about these several months ago, but haven't been near a Wal-Mart until earlier this afternoon, so it looks like I missed the first two issues of each.

They're pretty cool -- mostly modern reprints, but there is new material in all of them, including a really nice-looking new Superman story by Tom King and Andy Kubert in the Supes Giant. 

The trade dress is colorful and dynamic, and the matte interior paper stock is instantly likeable. 

Not bad at all for 5 bucks each, and NOT available at your LCS as far as I know.

So, here they are...

DC-100-PAGERS.JPG

22 minutes ago, kav said:

This could be the saving of future generations of collectors-comics where kids can find them.

Agreed.

Unfortunately, it is my sad duty to report that I found these copies in a small DC point-of-sale cardboard bin at the far end of the trading card aisle at the front of the store, on the top shelf about 2-3 feet taller than the average kid, roughly 10 feet or so from the nearest checkout lane, and about half-a-mile away from the toys and video games at the back of the store, which is where, y'know, you might reasonably expect to find actual...kids.

So...great idea...poorly executed, at least in my local WM...

Edited by jools&jim

On 9/28/2018 at 6:29 PM, jools&jim said:

I remember hearing about these several months ago, but haven't been near a Wal-Mart until earlier this afternoon, so it looks like I missed the first two issues of each.

They're pretty cool -- mostly modern reprints, but there is new material in all of them, including a really nice-looking new Superman story by Tom King and Andy Kubert in the Supes Giant. 

The trade dress is colorful and dynamic, and the matte interior paper stock is instantly likeable. 

Not bad at all for 5 bucks each, and NOT available at your LCS as far as I know.

So, here they are...

I just found out about these 100 pagers a few weeks back.  Unfortunately my Walmart closed early August so oh well.   Brian Michael Bendis will be writing a 12 part Batman story in them.  I am hoping that DC collects it in a trade later on.  I never read Bendis work as I don't read Marvel.  So I am interested in sampling it.  I know he is writing Superman but I am more of a Bat fan. 

On 9/28/2018 at 6:25 PM, jools&jim said:

Agreed.

Unfortunately, it is my sad duty to report that I found these copies in a small DC point-of-sale cardboard bin at the far end of the trading card aisle at the front of the store, on the top shelf about 2-3 feet taller than the average kid, roughly 10 feet or so from the nearest checkout lane, and about half-a-mile away from the toys and video games at the back of the store, which is where, y'know, you might reasonably expect to find actual...kids.

So...great idea...poorly executed, at least in my local WM...

OK first things first. What were you doing at a Walmart to begin with? ;)  Second........ Guess there is no second which brings us back to the first question.  j/k

Seriously, why wouldn't these be near the check out? Do people really buy the trashy celebrity gossip magazines? These seems like an easy "mommy mommy I want it" item and at $4.99, will only bankrupt half the people (I'm not saying $4.99 is too much for 100 pages, it is probably the right number, but someone making $7.25 at a minimum wage job with their kid may still have their budget stretched.