• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Baltimore Convention 2018
3 3

129 posts in this topic

Hey Hudson, it was nice to run into you today! I think it was at nickelspots booth, he was having some trouble with his pvc displays...

I only had a little time at the show today, mostly just to stand in line for the on-site Cgc submissions and then a once around the main dealer booths. I'm with you, there was a smattering of GA at the show, most of the stuff in slabs was as you said too nice (and thus too rich) for my blood. Picked up a Joe Paloka swimsuit cover from I think Hedgehog comics who sold a real nice Mister Mystery 7 as I was walking up. Also got to eavesdrop on some sort of drama over among the Oa dealers, which was salaciously entertaining. 

I'll be back on Sunday with my kid to let her do some exploring, and I'll swing back thru and see if the few items that looked interesting are still there. Sundays usually good for a discount, but with NYCC next weekend, I don't think there's much incentive to drop prices!

If anyone's around Sunday let me know!

Edited by miraclemet

5 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Hey Hudson, it was nice to run into you today! I think it was at nickelspots booth, he was having some trouble with his pvc displays...

I only had a little time at the show today, mostly just to stand in line for the on-site Cgc submissions and then a once around the main dealer booths. I'm with you, there was a smattering of GA at the show, most of the stuff in slabs was as you said too nice (and thus too rich) for my blood. Picked up a Joe Paloka swimsuit cover from I think Hedgehog comics who sold a real nice Mister Mystery 7 as I was walking up. Also got to eavesdrop on some sort of drama over among the Oa dealers, which was salaciously entertaining. 

I'll be back on Sunday with my kid to let her do some exploring, and I'll swing back thru and see if the few items that looked interesting are still there. Sundays usually good for a discount, but with NYCC next weekend, I don't think there's much incentive to drop prices!

If anyone's around Sunday let me know!

It was good meeting you as well.

Sorry we did not get to chat more.

I was hoping to meet nickle, however, he was walking away as I walked up.

Hope you get to pick up some stuff on Sunday.

7 hours ago, Hudson said:

I don't know if anyone is interested, however, I thought I would share my thoughts on this year's Baltimore Convention.

As a collector primarily of GA, I did not find the selection of books I would have liked.  This is NOT to say that there were not GA books there, as there were several big dealers, including New Force (Gator), Bedrock (Rich), High Grade (Bob), Reese (Greg), and several others.  There was a decent amount of GA, just nothing I was REALLY looking for.  I found a few books that I was marginally interested in, however, the grade was either REALLY low or the price REALLY high.

I took a number of photos, with my phone.  I am NOT a great photo taker, so I don't know if anyone wants to see these or not.

The highlight of the show, for me, was seeing and talking with a few fellow board members.

I was happy to see my friend @zolnerowich for the second year in a row.

I met @comicjack who is perhaps one of the most knowledgeable people on comics, that I have ever met.  He took time to tell me about many different comics spanning numerous genres.  I really appreciate the time he took to do this.

Let me post at least one photo of the IMO most awesome collection of GA in the room.  New Force (Gator), had a Superman 1, Captain America 1, Sensation 1, Two Wonder Woman 1(s), Three Batman 1(s), at least Six AF15(s).  As well as a host of other impressive books.  Please forgive the poor photography....582129028_NewForce1Baltimore2018.thumb.jpeg.ae0c72f2cbbbdf5693fddf4c32f8f492.jpeg

Thanks for the report and the pics.

Curious, what you were looking for that you didn't find?

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

Thanks for the report and the pics.

Curious, what you were looking for that you didn't find?

I saw very little early Superhero, outside of Gator's booth.  I was looking for early Action or Sensation.

There appeared to me to be much less GGA than in previous years.   There was some, but I didn't see any of the "must have" books.  At least not on my "must have" list.

I should add that Bedrock did have a nice selection of books overall (as did Gator), just not what I was currently looking for. 

Edited by Hudson

Ok gang, I'm breaking out my con newbie reveal in grand fashion. Is it considered bad form to bring some books to a con to attempt to sell?? I wasn't thinking anything GA unless maybe a low grade reader or two (Superman, Cap) and some very decent Bronze/Coppers in grade that I don't really care about anymore.  Funding art is the point.  Stuff like ASM ann 1 VG, Swamp Thing 1 - 10 from f-nm (true), # 1 signed by Berni.  Dark Knight 1 - 4 never read extra set.  Conan 23 nm-/nm stuff like that.  Nothing high end, just popular items that seem easier to move for dealers.  My 4th con ever, only Sunday and enroute to NYCC.  Just wanting to know if this is a bad idea, frowned on, etc.

I would say it was great but lacking the wow factor with books that attract me.The best stocked was Gator and Bedrock along with Bob Storms always find something with him.Last year i walked in the door and instantly landed a book not so much this year.I found a complete book that is not common in lower grade so that made me happy.At this stage of the game i'm not looking for much so i have slowed it down in collecting but one or two does make me smile even after all these years.I love Friday here because even NYCC early on can be challenging with lots of people.I love the inner harbor so pretty with lots of walking and food choices to be had this is what brings me back.A time for us like minds to gather and leave the rest of the world outside.I like to give a shout out to all the good people in this hobby who stand on their feet all day to help us and listen.:headbang:

22 minutes ago, williamhlawson said:

Ok gang, I'm breaking out my con newbie reveal in grand fashion. Is it considered bad form to bring some books to a con to attempt to sell?? I wasn't thinking anything GA unless maybe a low grade reader or two (Superman, Cap) and some very decent Bronze/Coppers in grade that I don't really care about anymore.  Funding art is the point.  Stuff like ASM ann 1 VG, Swamp Thing 1 - 10 from f-nm (true), # 1 signed by Berni.  Dark Knight 1 - 4 never read extra set.  Conan 23 nm-/nm stuff like that.  Nothing high end, just popular items that seem easier to move for dealers.  My 4th con ever, only Sunday and enroute to NYCC.  Just wanting to know if this is a bad idea, frowned on, etc.

It's fine to bring books to sell to the dealers. What's frowned upon, is trying to sell to customers. I wouldn't expect much for the books you are offering. Dealers generally like wall book candidates.

1 hour ago, williamhlawson said:

I attended the Baltimore Con a few years back and brought books with me, made trade with Superworld.  That was first Con for me since I used to attend what I guess were more like swap meets back in the late 70's.  In those days, I always came in with and left with books so I just assumed that was what it was all about.

Have to admit, between those days and now it's now more cos-play, and in the 70's I recall spending hours going through long boxes after long boxes of GA books.  Today for sure GA is much lower percentage of what is going on.

Anyway, for me bring books - that's part of the fun.

Wife just came in and said, let's go.  So guess I'll be milling around Sunday.

Edited by path4play

20 hours ago, Hudson said:

I don't know if anyone is interested, however, I thought I would share my thoughts on this year's Baltimore Convention.

As a collector primarily of GA, I did not find the selection of books I would have liked.  This is NOT to say that there were not GA books there, as there were several big dealers, including New Force (Gator), Bedrock (Rich), High Grade (Bob), Reese (Greg), and several others.  There was a decent amount of GA, just nothing I was REALLY looking for.  I found a few books that I was marginally interested in, however, the grade was either REALLY low or the price REALLY high.

I took a number of photos, with my phone.  I am NOT a great photo taker, so I don't know if anyone wants to see these or not.

The highlight of the show, for me, was seeing and talking with a few fellow board members.

I was happy to see my friend @zolnerowich for the second year in a row.

I met @comicjack who is perhaps one of the most knowledgeable people on comics, that I have ever met.  He took time to tell me about many different comics spanning numerous genres.  I really appreciate the time he took to do this.

Let me post at least one photo of the IMO most awesome collection of GA in the room.  New Force (Gator), had a Superman 1, Captain America 1, Sensation 1, Two Wonder Woman 1(s), Three Batman 1(s), at least Six AF15(s).  As well as a host of other impressive books.  Please forgive the poor photography....582129028_NewForce1Baltimore2018.thumb.jpeg.ae0c72f2cbbbdf5693fddf4c32f8f492.jpeg

You left all the Actions at the front of the line :makepoint: