• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Baltimore Convention 2018
3 3

129 posts in this topic

On September 29, 2018 at 3:27 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

It's fine to bring books to sell to the dealers. What's frowned upon, is trying to sell to customers. I wouldn't expect much for the books you are offering. Dealers generally like wall book candidates.

It's relative, right? Those books are wall books for smaller vendors. It's the kind of stuff I can sell all day at the cons I attend!

It takes dealers of all sorts and sizes to be able to please every kind of collector/reader. Not everyone is interested in 4 figure books and/or pre-80's books. That's why I love this hobby. Something for everyone!

Edited by KEY ISSUES Comics

2 minutes ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

It's relative, right? Those books are wall books for smaller vendors. It's the kind of stuff I can sell all day at the cons I attend!

It teaks dealers of all sorts and sizes to be able to please every kind of collector/reader. Not everyone is interested in 4 figure books and/or pre-80's books. That's why I love this hobby. Something for everyone!

Of course, totally agree. That little side comment about wall books was not the point of my post at all but it's what everybody has focused on. My point was these are not the types of books dealers will pay near retail for. At the last convention I attended, I brought a few high end slabs and some raw, midgrade Silver. Good stuff but not keys. I had no problem getting my asking prices for the high end slabs. I went back home with all but one of the midgrade raws.

10 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Of course, totally agree. That little side comment about wall books was not the point of my post at all but it's what everybody has focused on. My point was these are not the types of books dealers will pay near retail for. At the last convention I attended, I brought a few high end slabs and some raw, midgrade Silver. Good stuff but not keys. I had no problem getting my asking prices for the high end slabs. I went back home with all but one of the midgrade raws.

This works for someone like you because you've had those books for 600 years..... typically that 10K book is going to cost 9500 where as the 10 dollar book may have been 4, so the margins are much nicer. It is more work involved, but the reward can be greater. I learned that the hard way a while back. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

5 hours ago, lotemo said:

I finally had the pleasure of meeting Andrew Pepoy in person. I've bought some of his Afterlife with Archie covers from him in the past but have only communicated with him via email.

I purchased these pieces of original art from him at the show.  His covers are 15x22 in size and are always beautiful in their detail.

pepoy best of 70s 4.jpg

pepoy-predator.jpg

pepoy-transformers.jpg

Oooh, jealous, love his stuff. I have a GL cover that he inked, but it's not his style, so it doesn't really count. That Archive v Predator cover is especially drool worthy. :x