• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Baltimore Convention 2018
3 3

129 posts in this topic

Just now, oakman29 said:

Nice chasing the skirts.:cool:

it's like a who's who of the best GGA books!!!! :flipbait:

Just now, FlyingDonut said:

Just back. We moved a lot of books.

To anyone who says there wasn't any Golden Age at the Baltimore Comic Con, I'm not sure if you were at the Baltimore Comic Con in Maryland this weekend.

Thanks for selling me my first book of the show on Friday Dan. A beautiful Fight 41, that book alone would make anyone’s day. :foryou:

2 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

Thanks for selling me my first book of the show on Friday Dan. A beautiful Fight 41, that book alone would make anyone’s day. :foryou:

it makes my day just hearing about it!

GA/SA/BA...High Grade, Low Grade, Keys, Cr@p...who cares?  These days damn near everything is almost instantly available to everyone in the know who has the dough and an iPhone.

What I really want to know is the ONLY thing that might have got me out of my basement this year, but didn't: did anyone interact with Frank Miller, and, if so, does he still look like he's on death's door?

3 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

GA/SA/BA...High Grade, Low Grade, Keys, Cr@p...who cares?  These days damn near everything is almost instantly available to everyone in the know who has the dough and an iPhone.

What I really want to know is the ONLY thing that might have got me out of my basement this year, but didn't: did anyone interact with Frank Miller, and, if so, does he still look like he's on death's door?

Lots of people did. He looked better. He had to bail unexpectedly on Sunday, so had YOU SHOWN UP THIS YEAR (!) you wouldn't have seen him. BTW Kevin, Tom, and I were sad that we didn't see you.

1 minute ago, FlyingDonut said:

He had to bail unexpectedly on Sunday...

So yeah, that's not good, is it?

BTW Kevin, Tom, and I were sad that we didn't see you.

Thanks man! :cloud9:

Unfortunately, I have finally aged into the cranky, drunken old recluse I have always been...

21 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

So yeah, that's not good, is it?

Thanks man! :cloud9:

Unfortunately, I have finally aged into the cranky, drunken old recluse I have always been...

Next year you're coming If I have to go to your house and get you. Moved to late October so there's no excuse.

8 hours ago, snitzer said:

That’s great! My son is 11 and was all-in on Spidey so I took him by @G.A.tor‘s booth and was like, “Look, this guy has like 100 AF 15s!” My son was stunned! lol 

Fun!

Had multiple dealers and artists engage and chat with my daughter, showing her stuff that they thought she would find interesting and asking her about what she got at the show... 

Its a very nicely rounded show with enough dealers to keep you busy hunting, enough artists to make you  go "wow" repeatedly and enough mix of pop culture/toys/legos and such that it makes for a good family event. Show handled the crowds very well, and we were able to walk right up, get our wrist bands and walk in. Concessions was overpriced like everywhere else, but at least it was fast and no real line ever that I saw.

There's what I would call just the right amount of cos-playing. There were a few dealers who seemed to specialize in props, and there were the annual costume contests/shows, and some cosplay posing, but it wasn't to excess and wasn't "in the way" Also again, lots of full family cos-playing which was nice to see. Only problem we ran into was when there were three creepy dressed cos-players hanging out by the bathrooms, which made it pretty tough for parents to convince kids to walk past a 1/2 naked danny divito version of The Pengiun, a Mr Freeze/Zombie and a predator standing in the shadows....

The Deadpool/Mariokart mashup guy running around was pretty funny though. 

I though CGC went well. I dropped off books around 11:30 on Friday and they were ready with about 5 minutes to spare (4:55) on Sunday. Im betting that might have meant some people had to hang out past 5 to get their books? But Im not sure. The CGC folks both at drop off and pick up were friendly, efficient, and got everything right, so kudos to them working what Im sure was a busy onsite grading weekend. 

The only time I saw any congestion was around the CGC booth on Friday as the line started to extend down the next "block" of dealers. But the BCC staff did a good job of play traffic cops to make sure there were no line cuts, and other people could still pass thru no problem. Did hear a little complaining from CGC booth that some of the BCC staff mis-directed customers to the wrong line. The person from BCC I ran into as I was getting in line pled ignorance (which was fine) when I checked if I was in the right line. Fellow line goers confirmed I was in the right place. Got to have some fun chatting with the couple behind us. Heard one argument start up in front of me (political) but it didnt last long (nothing ends an argument like it being your turn to submit books). 

My personal favorite moment was getting to reconnect with the Michgan Mafia: David Petersen (Mouse Guard) and Jeremy Bastian (Cursed Pirate Girl) who I've been chatting with ever since I first went to MotorCity Comicon back in the mid 2000s. great guys, great art, and always a pleasure to reconnect with (and buy their latest stuff!)

My girl asked when the next comic show was (I told her BCC was once a year, but there were other smaller shows, I dont think her mom would buy in on NYCC yet!), so all in all a  rousing success. 

An old buddy of mine took his young son and a friend to the show on Saturday.  Not surprisingly, they all had a fantastic time, and the kids are already talking about the costumes they want to wear next year.

It really is an amazing and VERY family-friendly Con, with a little something for everyone and A WHOLE LOTTA comic books.  My daughter and I went to four or five Balt shows in a row starting in '08 or '09, and always had a grand time there together. 

Kudos to Marc and Co. again for giving Baltimore something to cheer about for a change!  Bravo...

12 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

Some pick ups. My sweetest was on Saturday after tossing and turning over night since the day before, thinking one would need a time machine to find such a pretty book. Pep 35. I don’t know how Ted from Superworld finds these or where his time portal is, but my hats off to him and glad I could bring this one home. A lovely Harry Sahle bondage cover. Shown in the raw. 

image.jpg

Just beautiful!  One of my favorite MLJ covers.

38 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Sitting at the airport waiting, so have a moment to chime in. 

As always I find the people the most enjoyable part of these cons. From baseball games and dinners to just chatting with friends old and new, that’s more important to me. Selling books is necessary of course, but while I don’t sell online etc, one easily could. 

The dealers that set up spend a tremendous amount of time and resources doing so, in hopes of providing a good shopping experience for the attendees. Sometimes we have books priced great, sometimes books priced rediculously for whatever reason. Sometimes have books we can discount and other times we have books that are in high demand that the price is firm! Sometimes we have just the book in just the right grade at just the right price and others we are miles away on. 

But as long as we can smile and have a good time , count me in!

Any dealer info floating around?  Smaller guys do ok?

2 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Had multiple dealers and artists engage and chat with my daughter, showing her stuff that they thought she would find interesting and asking her about what she got at the show... 

Its a very nicely rounded show with enough dealers to keep you busy hunting, enough artists to make you  go "wow" repeatedly and enough mix of pop culture/toys/legos and such that it makes for a good family event. Show handled the crowds very well, and we were able to walk right up, get our wrist bands and walk in. Concessions was overpriced like everywhere else, but at least it was fast and no real line ever that I saw.

There's what I would call just the right amount of cos-playing. There were a few dealers who seemed to specialize in props, and there were the annual costume contests/shows, and some cosplay posing, but it wasn't to excess and wasn't "in the way" Also again, lots of full family cos-playing which was nice to see. Only problem we ran into was when there were three creepy dressed cos-players hanging out by the bathrooms, which made it pretty tough for parents to convince kids to walk past a 1/2 naked danny divito version of The Pengiun, a Mr Freeze/Zombie and a predator standing in the shadows....

The Deadpool/Mariokart mashup guy running around was pretty funny though. 

I though CGC went well. I dropped off books around 11:30 on Friday and they were ready with about 5 minutes to spare (4:55) on Sunday. Im betting that might have meant some people had to hang out past 5 to get their books? But Im not sure. The CGC folks both at drop off and pick up were friendly, efficient, and got everything right, so kudos to them working what Im sure was a busy onsite grading weekend. 

The only time I saw any congestion was around the CGC booth on Friday as the line started to extend down the next "block" of dealers. But the BCC staff did a good job of play traffic cops to make sure there were no line cuts, and other people could still pass thru no problem. Did hear a little complaining from CGC booth that some of the BCC staff mis-directed customers to the wrong line. The person from BCC I ran into as I was getting in line pled ignorance (which was fine) when I checked if I was in the right line. Fellow line goers confirmed I was in the right place. Got to have some fun chatting with the couple behind us. Heard one argument start up in front of me (political) but it didnt last long (nothing ends an argument like it being your turn to submit books). 

My personal favorite moment was getting to reconnect with the Michgan Mafia: David Petersen (Mouse Guard) and Jeremy Bastian (Cursed Pirate Girl) who I've been chatting with ever since I first went to MotorCity Comicon back in the mid 2000s. great guys, great art, and always a pleasure to reconnect with (and buy their latest stuff!)

My girl asked when the next comic show was (I told her BCC was once a year, but there were other smaller shows, I dont think her mom would buy in on NYCC yet!), so all in all a  rousing success. 

Jeremy Bastian is awesome.... I met him there last year and thought his stuff looked like something Judy would like. I bought a book and he made it out to her AND drew a great sketch inside …. it was her  favorite thing from the show. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu