• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Comic Covers Lack the "Hook"...

49 posts in this topic

Looking at the DC 100 pages at WalMart really drove home for me that other than the high price driving children away from purchasing comics on their own, Modern covers lack the hook or enticement to get you to buy what's on the inside based on the cover. Almost all the covers now regardless of genre or tone  are geared towards adult buyers (artgerms covers especially getting into a very pinup/comehither look that 8 year olds especially like?). Comparing just a couple of covers from the SA to modern counterparts drives this home even more for me.  I'm not saying the art is not good on some of the Modern covers but they are not "selling" the book. Thoughts?

2677624-ff001.jpg

fantastic-four-2018-1-esad-ribic-cover.jpg

Journey_into_Mystery_Vol_1_83.jpg

664753._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_1.jpg

672700._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Little kids now are a lot different than little kids back then. I think that probably goes without saying. Books back then were most likely presented that way to appeal to kids. Now as you stated they are more “pin-up” like and more focused on just the art in general. No word balloons or anything teasing the story. They are appealing to the overall market. Which I’d say is 18-45 year olds. Maybe even older than 18. Just look at the price of these books. Kids aren’t paying that. Maybe their parents are but still. This conversation comes up a lot and I think the factors are obvious. 

Anyway, I think kids that are interested in reading comics probably like trades and hardcovers. Even adults that really care more about reading focus their collecting that way. It seems single issues are more for the art collector. 

Video games. You tube. That’s where the kids are IMO. 

15 hours ago, Krydel4 said:

Thoughts?

Not that I disagree with your general point, but it seems a bit unfair to use covers of books featuring new characters in your comparison. 9_9 The FF, Thor and Spidey needed those covers to sell them to prospective buyers because they were trying to gain an audience against significant competition rather than being established, popular characters for over 50 years.

Plus, the #1 on the covers of the new issues is the only hook Marvel needs to get insufficiently_thoughtful_persons to purchase them in far greater quantities than any other issue in the series (in the 8 months before another relaunch) could even dream about reaching.

7 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Not that I disagree with your general point, but it seems a bit unfair to use covers of books featuring new characters in your comparison. 9_9 The FF, Thor and Spidey needed those covers to sell them to prospective buyers because they were trying to gain an audience against significant competition rather than being established, popular characters for over 50 years.

Plus, the #1 on the covers of the new issues is the only hook Marvel needs to get insufficiently_thoughtful_persons to purchase them in far greater quantities than any other issue in the series (in the 8 months before another relaunch) could even dream about reaching.

Yeah, I knew I would get called out for choosing #1s but it was just to make a point about the cover being the thing that sells to younger readers. That's why I think DC has purposely made their new 100 pagers have throwback covers. Heck, most of any merchandise that DC or Marvel puts out now rarely features any artwork from post 1990, most of it is stuff from the 50s, 60s and 70s. Also here are some comparison covers from when the characters were more established.

686966._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

X-Men 14~01.jpg

516393._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Avengers 25~01.jpg

Edited by Krydel4
Clarity

2 hours ago, kav said:

I would not have been mesmerized by this whatsoever.  I would have said dad can we leave now?

517nneXMOJL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And that’s nowhere near the worst of examples.  At least that cover has some color contrast, and the main character featured prominently.   Most current covers are a mishmash of neutrally colored images, with poor foreground/background delineation.

Bring back the ‘hook’... an image that compels a desire to read the story behind it. :preach:

Edited by 500Club

1 minute ago, 500Club said:

And that’s nowhere near the worst of examples.  At least that cover has some color contrast, and the main character featured prominently.   Most current covers are a mishmash of neutrally colored images, with poor foreground/background delineation.

Bring back the ‘hook’... an image that compels a desire to read the story behind it. :preach:

Making comics for adults has killed them.  Made the stories dumber, paradoxically.  In the SA comics were made for kids, but adults could also enjoy them.  The stories were better.  

10 hours ago, kav said:

Making comics for adults has killed them.  Made the stories dumber, paradoxically.  In the SA comics were made for kids, but adults could also enjoy them.  The stories were better.  

Agree an it only takes three minutes to read them for $3.99????

3 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

Agree an it only takes three minutes to read them for $3.99????

The more 'clever' writers get the less words they use.  A few wise cracks, some angst and the story's over.  Rinse y repeat.

17 hours ago, kav said:

I find this true with most media today.  When I was growing up there wasn't a YA reader notion.  Stories were geared towards family entertainment.  I am talking about books and movies alike.  I like some of the modern comics out there, but they are tough to filter out the garbage.  Too expensive now to waste money on splash pages only where the hero just grunts alot.

its simple, cover artists know that cover OA can give them a very nice bonus in $$$ beyond just the publishing of the work

More generic OA pieces appeal to a wider audience, beyond just the people reading the comic of the week... so they create dynamic pieces that dont really tie that much back tk the story.

Paradoxically, comics aimed at adults have more pictures less words.  And simpler more repetitive plots.  Wt actual f?

A hook means the reader goes wtf-what is happening?  Most SA books had such covers, especially DC.  That doesnt happen with a mere painted cover of some hero in a dramatic pose, no matter how well executed.  There is absolutely no wtf in a hero with fist clenched.  In fact, modern books have virtually no wtf at all-it's just "here's the hero, doing what they do.  Again.  Look how well it's painted".

Edited by kav

5 minutes ago, kav said:

A hook means the reader goes wtf-what is happening?  Most SA books had such covers, especially DC.  That doesnt happen with a mere painted cover of some hero in a dramatic pose, no matter how well executed.  There is absolutely no wtf in a hero with fist clenched.  In fact, modern books have virtually no wtf at all-it's just "here's the hero, doing what they do.  Again.  Look how well it's painted".

"Dude... wtf???"

I think that should be the title of a silver age reprint series

1 minute ago, Aweandlorder said:

"Dude... wtf???"

I think that should be the title of a silver age reprint series

It used to be "What If" now its "WTF"

14 minutes ago, kav said:

The type of cover you like wouldn’t work these days, kav, such as the very common SA design with arrows pointing all over the place...

’Must-have issue !!!!’

’Next to nothing happens !!!!’

‘Senses-Shattering Decompression !!!! ‘ 

Edited by Ken Aldred

7 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

The type of cover you like wouldn’t work these days, kav, such as the very common SA design with arrows pointing all over the place...

’Must-have issue !!!!’

’Next to nothing happens !!!!’

‘Senses-Shattering Decompression !!!! ‘ 

Come on Jimmy Olsen almost had to marry a gorilla!