• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Comic Covers Lack the "Hook"...

49 posts in this topic

Just now, D2 said:

That's exactly what scares me.

Hit the nail right on the head

Why do any school work when you can hang out with your friends, skate and play video games and watch worldstar hip hop.

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:46 PM, kav said:

A hook means the reader goes wtf-what is happening?  Most SA books had such covers, especially DC.  That doesnt happen with a mere painted cover of some hero in a dramatic pose, no matter how well executed.  There is absolutely no wtf in a hero with fist clenched.  In fact, modern books have virtually no wtf at all-it's just "here's the hero, doing what they do.  Again.  Look how well it's painted".

I think those covers may have died out partially because a lot of them were misleading.

7 minutes ago, HarrisonJohn said:

I think those covers may have died out partially because a lot of them were misleading.

I dare you to find a SA Jimmy Olsen comic that the cover didnt demonstrate the exact story therein!

There is some merit to this though.  The average comic book does not provide thought provoking entertainment.  However, as video games become more sophisticated there is a leg to stand on when discussing video games vs comics books in regards to value for dollar.  There are kids getting into comic books, that much is certain.  However they are not getting into them the way that we did as kids and really... why should they? 

An entire story arc of six issues can be translated into a movie costing the viewer almost half of what they would spend on the comics. 

An average video game is still $60 providing hours of entertainment.  The average comic book is $4.  This means that you could spend that money on 15 comics instead.  This translates to 15 x 7 minute reads? 15 x 10 minute reads? (105-150 minutes) This does not provide as much entertainment as the kids would get from the video game.  While many video games are mindless entertainment drains, there are many that are engaging and require higher thinking skills.   

But I am starting to see that video games are not the main competitor to comics.  Kids themselves are.  No matter how compelling your story can be, today's social media and video on your iPhone allow the user to become their own compelling story. Why would a kid read someone else's Spider-man story when they can create their own story and act it out or perform for the camera on their iPhone? 

I love a good video game with great graphics, game-play, and stories (Devil May Cry/God of War). I love great physical artwork (comic books, playing cards) more, though. It depends on who you are. People around my age still tend to appreciate a good book. "Millennials" (or whatever the hell you want to call them) definitely receive more calls from video games. It's heavily influenced by parenting. Many parents, including friends of mine, would rather stick their kid in front of a TV than read books with them. When you're used to that kind of environment you're not going to find books that interesting. As a kid, I only really watched TV shows (I'm talking under 10 years old) that were developmental. We had a set amount of time we were allowed to play video games. We played a lot with action figures and read a lot of comics and books (Garfield, Calvin and Hobbs, X-Men).

When kids are on their computers and consoles and phones all day, as opposed to developing physical talents (sports, art, or otherwise) then they lose that appreciation for physical property.

On 9/30/2018 at 2:46 AM, kav said:

I would not have been mesmerized by this whatsoever.  I would have said dad can we leave now?

517nneXMOJL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And if you thought the cover was bad, wait till you saw the insides.

I was really digging DC's covers recently, as they'd gotten a snazzy new trade dress and returned to word bubbles/dialogue on the cover as well. As has been mentioned, it seems like most covers these days are geared towards being slabbed, or turned into posters, or inflating the cost of the original art. I hope DC will give us more of these story-driven covers. This, plus a partial return to newsprint, has me really high on their publishing right now.

1 hour ago, Juswuh said:

And if you thought the cover was bad, wait till you saw the insides.

oh I did-great dialogue like 'holy menstruation!'  

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I was really digging DC's covers recently, as they'd gotten a snazzy new trade dress and returned to word bubbles/dialogue on the cover as well. As has been mentioned, it seems like most covers these days are geared towards being slabbed, or turned into posters, or inflating the cost of the original art. I hope DC will give us more of these story-driven covers. This, plus a partial return to newsprint, has me really high on their publishing right now.

If it gets favorable reviews, Marvel will surely follow, especially if it's cheaper. Same with the story-driven covers.

6 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

I'm not a big fan of contemporary comics art, but there are still a few artists out there who respect the eternal verities, including "the hook".

For example, see below for a modern cover, and its "true vintage" analog...

modern-superman_20181005_0001.jpg

You cannot bust yer way out of the Phantom Zone!!!

11 minutes ago, kav said:

You cannot bust yer way out of the Phantom Zone!!!

Don't just stand there bust a move...

Wait, are you telling me that's not an option? Oh heavens!!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM