• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Comic Covers Lack the "Hook"...

49 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Don't just stand there bust a move...

Wait, are you telling me that's not an option? Oh heavens!!

pretty sure the phantom zone is not some album cover thing that floats around the universe-RICHARD DONNER!

3 minutes ago, kav said:

pretty sure the phantom zone is not some album cover thing that floats around the universe-RICHARD DONNER!

As a kid in the 80s that was my favorite superman movie though...

23 minutes ago, kav said:

Yeah, you're probably right...I'll remember to check my imagination at the door the next time I pay it a visit... :baiting:

1 minute ago, jools&jim said:

Yeah, you're probably right...I'll remember to check my imagination at the door the next time I pay it a visit... :baiting:

look a phantom zone perjecter is believable and like another dimension and stuff.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

look a phantom zone perjecter is believable and like another dimension and stuff.

Uh...yeah man.  Sure.  Whatever you say...    :screwy:   :grin:   :foryou:

Still, we're probably the only two "outed" and outspoken Curt Swan fans here on the Boards, so it's all good!

I know you're an artist, and from what I've seen a damn good one -- so can you give us, for example, a rough idea of what a cool "retro-but-also-modern" cover with a "hook" might look like?

1 minute ago, jools&jim said:

Uh...yeah man.  Sure.  Whatever you say...    :screwy:   :grin:   :foryou:

Still, we're probably the only two "outed" and outspoken Curt Swan fans here on the Boards, so it's all good!

I know you're an artist, and from what I've seen a damn good one -- so can you give us, for example, a rough idea of what a cool "retro-but-also-modern" cover with a "hook" might look like?

Maybe like a walking dead cover where a zombie is talking and saying 'I'm here to help-I can stop this outbreak'.  So the reader goes WTF how can a zombie talk and why would he help and how can he stop the outbreak omg I need to buy this issue and FIND OUT!!   Or a wolferine cover where he cuts himself shaving and OMG THE BLEEDING ISNT STOPPING-WH-WHATS HAPPENED TO ME!!!!  Then the reader goes omg has wolferine lost his powers omg now what-I better buy the book-

Or a cover where harley quinn rips off her mask and its ALFRED!  and he goes 'thats right batman me-your WORST ENEMY!!  Hey everyone-Batman is BRUCE WAYNE!!!"  and the reader goes omg wtf how-what-where-why-I HAVE TO BUY THIS BOOK!!!  Or an archie cover where-

Certainly not a book showing the hero.............dead!  thats no hook at all.

In fact there's no better sign that a hero is just fine than a cover like that-

Edited by kav

13 hours ago, jools&jim said:

I’ve done quite a bit of enthusing about his Silver Age work, especially the material inked by George Klein, and Kurt Schaffenberger’s art as well.