• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cursed Pirate Girl - No Hand Stamped Logo

12 posts in this topic

I have an issue number three with no hand stamped logo that I'm getting sent back to me very soon, a 9.8 grade. However, it seems, at least according to the current census that it was put in a Quality grade. I've seen other number ones not only get there own separate section as a "Virgin cover", but in a Universal slab. My question is why this issue number three is being treated completely different, ...if indeed it turns out to be true.

If you're going by the census alone, that might not be your book. The census is typically updated several days after books have shipped and wouldn't reflect any books that have yet to ship from CGC. Is the book Qualified when you view the submission invoice online?

On 9/28/2018 at 10:28 PM, MarkFaust said:

I have an issue number three with no hand stamped logo that I'm getting sent back to me very soon, a 9.8 grade. However, it seems, at least according to the current census that it was put in a Quality grade. 

Do you mean qualified grade?

If so, it appears some of these were hand numbered. If yours is, that will get a qualified grade. You can request a universal label but they will ding you down a grade. Most likely a 9.6.

It came back a 9.8 Universal. However, it just reads 'no hand stamp'. Unlike the #1 which also wasn't hand stamped, but got a different "category" as a Virgin Edition. ......so, what's the difference between them besides the issue number? Why isn't my #3 also a Virgin Edition??? Disappointed.

Hi. Newbie here. I was going to start a thread about my copy of Cursed Pirate Girl, but I figured that I might start here to see if any of you guys might know. I have a copy of CPG #1 but it’s missing the red price logo. I’ve attempted to look it up a couple of different times over the years, but haven’t found anything yet. All images that I’ve seen have the red logo on the cover. The closest that I’ve gotten to anything is a website that makes brief mention that there may be only 10 printed this way. Since it is a 9.8 candidate I wanted to get it graded, but also wanted the label to read accordingly. I also reached out to Jeremy Bastian a couple of times, but no reply. Do any of you guys know of any information on this variant?  Thanks!

9EEF96D8-82C6-4994-B34C-5B9AD3F1C5B1.jpeg

On 8/31/2020 at 3:37 PM, matarat said:

Hi. Newbie here. I was going to start a thread about my copy of Cursed Pirate Girl, but I figured that I might start here to see if any of you guys might know. I have a copy of CPG #1 but it’s missing the red price logo. I’ve attempted to look it up a couple of different times over the years, but haven’t found anything yet. All images that I’ve seen have the red logo on the cover. The closest that I’ve gotten to anything is a website that makes brief mention that there may be only 10 printed this way. Since it is a 9.8 candidate I wanted to get it graded, but also wanted the label to read accordingly. I also reached out to Jeremy Bastian a couple of times, but no reply. Do any of you guys know of any information on this variant?  Thanks!

9EEF96D8-82C6-4994-B34C-5B9AD3F1C5B1.jpeg

JB had custom hand stamps for the logo and the price.  This is a copy that didn't get hand stamped for the price. Are you certain it is a first print?

2 hours ago, seanfingh said:

JB had custom hand stamps for the logo and the price.  This is a copy that didn't get hand stamped for the price. Are you certain it is a first print?

I don't see anything to suggest this is not a first print. Second prints have a copper title and a second print stamp (and are themselves very rare, since most copies were inadvertently destroyed). Third prints and later have entirely different covers.

There are other copies of CPD1 known that didn't get the red stamp. I'm not sure how CGC would indicate this. Technically, it's a production error rather than an intentional variant, but that hasn't prevented some errors from receiving full registry callouts. You may wish to inquire of CGC directly before submission. Also, either way, very nice book.

On 9/2/2020 at 2:16 PM, seanfingh said:

I believe that it’s a first print.  I haven’t seen anything to say otherwise, but I’m not that knowledgeable with the printings. 

On 9/2/2020 at 4:31 PM, Qalyar said:

I don't see anything to suggest this is not a first print. Second prints have a copper title and a second print stamp (and are themselves very rare, since most copies were inadvertently destroyed). Third prints and later have entirely different covers.

There are other copies of CPD1 known that didn't get the red stamp. I'm not sure how CGC would indicate this. Technically, it's a production error rather than an intentional variant, but that hasn't prevented some errors from receiving full registry callouts. You may wish to inquire of CGC directly before submission. Also, either way, very nice book.

Right, I’m not sure how they would call it out. I did email CGC as a general question,  the guy that answered said he’s not sure how they would refer to it. He did say to include a note on it with the details if/when I submit it.  May wait to try to speak with JB at a con about it for more info.