• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the best auction venue for comic book art?
2 2

33 posts in this topic

Any opinions/advice on the best auction venue to sell original art? I'm preparing to downsize my collection. I plan on selling the low-end items through ebay and local venues. I figure the higher valued items will do better at places like Heritage or ComicLink or ComicConnect (or another place?). 

Any opinions on price-points for each venue, including ebay?

Thanks in advance for your input!

21 minutes ago, captain_em said:

Any opinions/advice on the best auction venue to sell original art? I'm preparing to downsize my collection. I plan on selling the low-end items through ebay and local venues. I figure the higher valued items will do better at places like Heritage or ComicLink or ComicConnect (or another place?). 

Give them to Hakes so they sell way under full market value and we can snag some great deals! Ha. 

HA is best in breed but you have to factor in the 19.5% vig they hit people with. If you have good stuff they will waive the 10% sellers fee. I do not care for ComicConnect extended bidding. If people get jammed up on prior pieces getting extensions, and your piece comes up maybe it doesnt get full attention.

CL main events bring good money but if your art gets relegated to one of their monthly auctions, kiss strong money returns goodbye.

Don't forget  the market place on here. Always better to deal with  a fellow collector 1 on 1.

Good luck!

3 hours ago, dirtymartini1 said:

Give them to Hakes so they sell way under full market value and we can snag some great deals! Ha. 

HA is best in breed but you have to factor in the 19.5% vig they hit people with. If you have good stuff they will waive the 10% sellers fee. I do not care for ComicConnect extended bidding. If people get jammed up on prior pieces getting extensions, and your piece comes up maybe it doesnt get full attention.

CL main events bring good money but if your art gets relegated to one of their monthly auctions, kiss strong money returns goodbye.

Don't forget  the market place on here. Always better to deal with  a fellow collector 1 on 1.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply!

15 hours ago, captain_em said:

I doubt you will do as well on ebay with the low end items as on Comic Link if only because it's hard to shop on ebay without specifics in mind. Why not list them here first and give other serious collectors a shot?

Edited by Rick2you2

13 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I doubt you will do as well on ebay with the low end items as on Comic Link if only because it's hard to shop on ebay without specifics in mind. Why not list them here first and give other serious collectors a shot?

I've never bought or sold on Comic Link, but your comment made me look closer at it and I think you are right! Thank you for the helpful feedback!

On 9/29/2018 at 2:51 PM, dirtymartini1 said:

Good luck!

it's 20% now with Heritage.........

plus MANY states now charges sales tax ON TOP of that 20% buyers premium and shipping costs..........

I would start online in various forums/groups. Post what you have for sale. If you aren’t sure about prices, post that you are taking offers (some groups don’t allow this so be sure to know rules) to get a sense of value. Better yet, find a friend that will give you unbiased advice for asking prices, etc. If no luck, go to eBay and/or Comic Link and let it fly.  

On 9/29/2018 at 2:24 PM, captain_em said:

What are your definitions of "low-end items" and "higher valued items"?

22 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

I would start online in various forums/groups. Post what you have for sale. If you aren’t sure about prices, post that you are taking offers (some groups don’t allow this so be sure to know rules) to get a sense of value. Better yet, find a friend that will give you unbiased advice for asking prices, etc. If no luck, go to eBay and/or Comic Link and let it fly.  

Great advice. Thank you!

22 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

What are your definitions of "low-end items" and "higher valued items"?

Good question! I probably should have worded the OP differently. I don't actually have a "definition" per se. My collection ranges from $20 convention sketches to OA  worth several thousand. I'm in the process of downsizing and I'm trying to get input from experienced sellers about the different venues. So far I've received some great advice. If anyone else has anything to add, please do so! 

Thanks again!

I'm going to approach this question in a different way.  If I'm bidding on a piece of comic art at auction (the key word) and I really, really want the piece, which auction site would give me the best opportunity to acquire that piece.  To me, that also makes it a good venue for the seller.  I'm talking opportunity not price, every buyer wants a bargain.

To me, it would be Heritage and ComicConnect, mainly because there is no "drop dead" time for the auction.

Heritage, because during the "live" bidding, they roll up the automatic bids and then you can continue bidding on-line (or by phone in some cases).  This keeps the lot alive so if I want to go crazy and maybe bid over my head, I get that chance.  Then they move on to the next lot.  Yes, the buyer's premium sucks.  But you know that going in (or you should). 

ComicConnect for a similar reason.  You can keep bidding until a time limit (3 minutes) passes with no bid increases.  The biggest problem is that other lots are still alive and have their individual 3 minute limits.  If you're bidding on multiple lots, you have to keep you eyes on them.  They don't close lots in the sequence they were listed.  Yes, the website is mainly geared for selling comics, not art.

ComicLink and ebay have set times for closing the auctions.  This also allows for sniping bids.  I think we've all gotten "bidder's remorse" (in hindsight, you wished you bid more) at some point.

7 hours ago, Will_K said:

I'm going to approach this question in a different way.  If I'm bidding on a piece of comic art at auction (the key word) and I really, really want the piece, which auction site would give me the best opportunity to acquire that piece.  To me, that also makes it a good venue for the seller.  I'm talking opportunity not price, every buyer wants a bargain.

To me, it would be Heritage and ComicConnect, mainly because there is no "drop dead" time for the auction.

Heritage, because during the "live" bidding, they roll up the automatic bids and then you can continue bidding on-line (or by phone in some cases).  This keeps the lot alive so if I want to go crazy and maybe bid over my head, I get that chance.  Then they move on to the next lot.  Yes, the buyer's premium sucks.  But you know that going in (or you should). 

ComicConnect for a similar reason.  You can keep bidding until a time limit (3 minutes) passes with no bid increases.  The biggest problem is that other lots are still alive and have their individual 3 minute limits.  If you're bidding on multiple lots, you have to keep you eyes on them.  They don't close lots in the sequence they were listed.  Yes, the website is mainly geared for selling comics, not art.

ComicLink and ebay have set times for closing the auctions.  This also allows for sniping bids.  I think we've all gotten "bidder's remorse" (in hindsight, you wished you bid more) at some point.

If I really, really want a piece then it doesn't matter because I will put in a bid which is sufficiently higher than market price (within my budget of course) that it will win. 

I like a drop dead time because I like to know the most something will cost me.

If you were worried about a sniping bid, it is not a worry if you bid high enough. It will also leave the sniper feeling stupid I expect.

When I get buyer's remorse, it is usually due to buying something I didn't really want at that price. Se la vey.

14 hours ago, Will_K said:

Some great advice. Thank you!

16 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

If I really, really want a piece then it doesn't matter because I will put in a bid which is sufficiently higher than market price (within my budget of course) that it will win. 

I like a drop dead time because I like to know the most something will cost me.

Understood, that is a bidding strategy.  Let's say you're interested in multiple lots in some auction and they close within minutes of each other, you've placed your maximum bids and walk away.  No problem because you'll just wait for your winning bid notification.  Now if you win the 1st lot for significantly less than your max (or you don't win the auction), you might increase your bids on the other lots using the "extra" $$$ from the 1st auction.

But my point is that anything that extends the bidding is good for the seller.  The drop dead is to the bidder's advantage.  When the Heritage auctioneer takes a seemingly long time to hammer the close to bidding on a lot, that's to the seller's and Heritage's advantage.   

Edited by Will_K

On 10/3/2018 at 11:17 PM, Will_K said:

Some great feedback!

I've purchased auction items in the past thru Ebay and Heritage, and I'm pretty familiar with them, but you bring up some great points regarding buyer and seller aspects in each of those venues that I had not really thought about.  Very helpful!

I"ve considered buying a few pieces off some other sites just to get a little more familiar with them, but I made a commitment not to buy anything else through 12/31/19. I will only be selling! (please no one ask for details!:)). Thus the reason for my OP!

Another question(s)- You said ComicConnect is "mainly geared for selling comics, not art."  Can you elaborate on this? Is it their format? The way they advertise?   Please remember, I've only been on here a few weeks, so I hope it's not a dumb question(s).

And please, if any experienced sellers have anything to offer, please do so! 

Thanks again for your time!

22 hours ago, Will_K said:

Understood, that is a bidding strategy.  Let's say you're interested in multiple lots in some auction and they close within minutes of each other, you've placed your maximum bids and walk away.  No problem because you'll just wait for your winning bid notification.  Now if you win the 1st lot for significantly less than your max (or you don't win the auction), you might increase your bids on the other lots using the "extra" $$$ from the 1st auction.

But my point is that anything that extends the bidding is good for the seller.  The drop dead is to the bidder's advantage.  When the Heritage auctioneer takes a seemingly long time to hammer the close to bidding on a lot, that's to the seller's and Heritage's advantage.   

Thanks for your input! You make a very strong point!

I'm not sure how to phrase this question (and I think I agree with you), but- Is Heritage the only one that follows that particular standard...one item at a time, hammer closes bidding? I've got local auctions near me that follow that standard, but is Heritage the only "national" comic book auctioneer that follows that standard?

It seemed that someone already said it, but if you list on feebay then you better be selling art with a STRONG artist following (at least CAF has links to general feebay listings).  If it's fantastic art without a VERY popular artist following, it may be better to sell through Heritage or Comiclink (because there's never so-much art that I can't just scroll through to find what interests me).  Does anyone ever just scroll through feebay listings of "comic art" (who has the HOURS to do that)?  On the other hand, if the expected value is lower (say less than $300), maybe it would be better to list where there are lower fees.  If you can post here or CAF and find a buyer, that's your best bet for a win.

Edited by Yorick
typo