• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the best auction venue for comic book art?
2 2

33 posts in this topic

Having dealt with most major auction sites and dozens of dealers I’d say it really just comes down to preference and what you plan to move.  A 25k plus Frank Miller cover - Heritage, a 5k Frank Miller cover - ComicLink.  A Frank Miller sketch - eBay.  I prefer dealing with ComicLink though because they have always been very accommodating to my requests and I always get prompt responses.  

9 minutes ago, Yorick said:

It seemed that someone already said it, but if you list on feebay then you better be selling art with a STRONG artist following (at least CAF has links to general feebay listings).  If it's fantastic art without a VERY popular artist following, it may be better to sell through Heritage or Comiclink (because there's never so-much art that I can't just scroll through to find what interests me).  Does anyone ever just scroll through feebay listings of "comic art" (who has the HOURS to do that)?  On the other hand, if the expected value is lower (say less than $300), maybe it would be better to list where there are lower fees.  If you can post here or CAF and find a buyer, that's your best bet for a win.

Great feedback! Thanks!

Some questions- 

So is $300 or less a "kind of standard" for low-end?

How do I find out who is a "Strong" artist?

Thanks again for replying! 

I consider lower end art to be 1k and below (market value-wise) and will take selling venue/fees into consideration.  I would try to move that art on CAF through collectors I know that have other or similar pieces from that artist.  You can also enter the artist of your piece and search the CAF want lists as well. For me, if that fails, 1k pieces end up on eBay

11 minutes ago, Oddball said:

Having dealt with most major auction sites and dozens of dealers I’d say it really just comes down to preference and what you plan to move.  A 25k plus Frank Miller cover - Heritage, a 5k Frank Miller cover - ComicLink.  A Frank Miller sketch - eBay.  I prefer dealing with ComicLink though because they have always been very accommodating to my requests and I always get prompt responses.  

Thank you for replying! I think you're the first one who has mentioned price-points in multiple venues! I know everything is relative and subjective, and I very much appreciate your input!

Anyone else? Thank you, My Friends!

12 minutes ago, captain_em said:

You can look at Heritage's "auction archives".  It's pretty extensive.  Do a search based on the artist's name.  Check out the prices (hammer price plus bidder's premium) and when the auction occurred. 

As mentioned in other threads (but not in this one, so far), the HA bidder may determine their maximum bid by taking into account HA's bidder premium (and sales tax).  And you have to factor in your net (hammer price minus taking account HA's commission).  Basically HA is burning the candle at both ends.  As mentioned in other threads, the other auction sites only charge a commission to the seller.  So... now you also have to factor in whether HA's ability to market your art is worth them taking $$$ on both sides of the transaction.

Re: your question about Heritage being the only one auction site that closes lots one at a time

Of the 4 that I mentioned, I think so.  HA truly has enough staff when they use live auctioneers.  And their automated auction system is a monster.  Although it doesn't have long delays to close lots.  They'll probably find a way to automate that as well.

Someone mentioned Hake's but I don't have any experience with them.

18 hours ago, captain_em said:

So is $300 or less a "kind of standard" for low-end?

That's my "low-end".  I've picked up AMAZING art for less than $300.  Standards are subjective.

Who is a "strong" artist at any given time is the million dollar question.  I should have said "popular".  You have to follow the trends.  Right now: Frank Cho, Gary Frank, Adam Hughes, Mike Mignola, Stanley Lau, Frank Quitely, and many more that don't immediately spring to mind.  Basically, current artists.  Although, if you list several pieces at a time with one "popular" artist piece among them, then you'll pick up a little more traffic for the other pieces.

18 hours ago, Oddball said:

You can also enter the artist of your piece and search the CAF want lists as well.

I did not know of this function.  Thank you!  I'm going to go see if I can make it work!

18 hours ago, Oddball said:

I consider lower end art to be 1k and below (market value-wise) and will take selling venue/fees into consideration.  I would try to move that art on CAF through collectors I know that have other or similar pieces from that artist.  You can also enter the artist of your piece and search the CAF want lists as well. For me, if that fails, 1k pieces end up on eBay

How do you search the want lists?  Is there an easier way than just clicking on each personal gallery link?

On 9/29/2018 at 2:51 PM, dirtymartini1 said:

HA is best in breed but you have to factor in the 19.5% vig they hit people with. If you have good stuff they will waive the 10% sellers fee.

The seller's commission listed on the HA consignment contract is 15%. The first time I consigned to HA, Joe reduced the commission to 10% because of the value of the pages I consigned. Perhaps they automatically reduce it to 10% for everyone. I don't know.

Like you, I had been told that they would waive the seller's commission if you had good stuff. I asked Joe about this and he said that their minimum consignment value is $5K (total estimated value of all the pages in a single consignment), and they only waive the seller's commission for consignments with an estimated value of $100K+ or for "industry professionals".

After I balked, however, he did agree to reduce the seller's commission to 7.5% for me, because at least one page I consigned will do very well for them.

Have any non-professionals here consigned to HA and had the seller's commission waived entirely? Just curious if they have a "fluid" commission policy, depending on who you are.

8 hours ago, drewincanada said:

The seller's commission listed on the HA consignment contract is 15%. The first time I consigned to HA, Joe reduced the commission to 10% because of the value of the pages I consigned. Perhaps they automatically reduce it to 10% for everyone. I don't know.

Like you, I had been told that they would waive the seller's commission if you had good stuff. I asked Joe about this and he said that their minimum consignment value is $5K (total estimated value of all the pages in a single consignment), and they only waive the seller's commission for consignments with an estimated value of $100K+ or for "industry professionals".

After I balked, however, he did agree to reduce the seller's commission to 7.5% for me, because at least one page I consigned will do very well for them.

Have any non-professionals here consigned to HA and had the seller's commission waived entirely? Just curious if they have a "fluid" commission policy, depending on who you are.

A few years ago HA sent me a coupon for one "free" (no commission to me) sale of an item valued at or over $5000.  Probably because I buy a lot from them and don't sell anything! xD

On 10/5/2018 at 9:24 PM, captain_em said:

Another question(s)- You said ComicConnect is "mainly geared for selling comics, not art."  Can you elaborate on this? Is it their format? The way they advertise?   Please remember, I've only been on here a few weeks, so I hope it's not a dumb question(s).

I would have to agree. They don't separate the art from the other stuff they sell which is comic related and I have to wade through too much irrelevant listing information.