• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Photographs from the Frank Hampson exhibition (UK)

38 posts in this topic

Here are scans of four Frank Hampson 'Dan Dare' EAGLE magazine covers from my own personal collection  These ones date from 1957 and 1958.  I'm painfully conscious of the fact that my exhibition photos fall short of showcasing Hampson's delicate line-work and colour effectively. so hopefully these ones will better represent his work.

57-1.jpg

58-1.jpg

58-2.jpg

58-3.jpg

Edited by The Voord

21 hours ago, The Voord said:

Hampson did a one-off illustration of Spidey for one of the Marvel UK magazines a long time ago.

marvHamp_01.jpg

How cool is that! Brilliant thread Voord, thank you :golfclap:

33 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

How cool is that! Brilliant thread Voord, thank you :golfclap:

Thanks!  The original art for the Spidey illustration was auctioned-off several years ago.  The OA displays a delicacy of line-work not too noticeable in the printed copy I uploaded.  The Thing is also featured (along with maybe a few more Marvel characters) but very difficult see in the printed image.

1 minute ago, The Voord said:

Thanks!  The original art for the Spidey illustration was auctioned-off several years ago.  The OA displays a delicacy of line-work not too noticeable in the printed copy I uploaded.  The Thing is also featured (along with maybe a few more Marvel characters) but very difficult see in the printed image.

I can see him. I love the folds in Spidey's baggy suit. A realistic depiction. 

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

I can see him. I love the folds in Spidey's baggy suit. A realistic depiction. 

Hampson liked to depict how clothing is supposed to react with the movements of its wearer.  When I first saw his illustration I thought it went against the stylized version of Spidey in costume that we're used to seeing.  Then, knowing how Hampson strived for realism, I thought, yeah, he got it right.

Edited by The Voord

3 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

Beautiful artwork ‼️‼️❤️ Did he do any comic books Voord..?.

what does Voord mean⁉️

keys-of-marinus-voord.png.0714cea59548c4d119f362e3ecda230c.png

5 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

Beautiful artwork ‼️‼️❤️ Did he do any comic books Voord..?.

what does Voord mean⁉️

Hampson produced comic-strips for EAGLE magazine, not complete books of art.  Dan Dare was a fully-painted weekly two-page strip.  Road of Courage was a fully-painted weekly one-page strip.  EAGLE was an anthology title containing other strips and features by various artists/contributors 

Voord means 'Droov' spelled backwards . . .