• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Photographing art with a cell phone (tips)
3 3

9 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

Here's a tip. Use an app like CamScanner to take the picture. Among other things, it can eliminate the distortion caused by taking the pictures at an angle. Pretty handy.

What other ideas do you have?

Started a thread on this back in July.  Several comments were made in this.

I've used CamScanner a bunch and really like it,  but I just found a new one today.  Microsoft Office Lens.  What I like is it allows me to take a picture with my normal camera phone, then import that picture into the program to adjust distortion and borders and finally save it back into my phone gallery.  That way the photos are at full camera resolution vs. some scaling with CamScanner (unless you pay for the upgrade).  I can also use the photo editor on my phone vs. what's available in CamScanner.

thanks for the advice guys....i just downloaded this app and just practiced on some older art....

what setting is best for comic art? and older painted art?

i can clean it up in adobe photoshop as needed to fine tune it....but I was curious what is the best settings are?

...any help is appreciated as i have so so much older very large pieces of art and this would be AMAZING for me as a 1 man show to have a great app for oversized art so I dont have to scan halves and stitch together in photoshop.

also curious as to the setting that can still show the super detailed lines in artwork without losing any detail (or color for paintings)

Mike.

On 9/30/2018 at 10:52 PM, romitaman said:

thanks for the advice guys....i just downloaded this app and just practiced on some older art....

what setting is best for comic art? and older painted art?

i can clean it up in adobe photoshop as needed to fine tune it....but I was curious what is the best settings are?

...any help is appreciated as i have so so much older very large pieces of art and this would be AMAZING for me as a 1 man show to have a great app for oversized art so I dont have to scan halves and stitch together in photoshop.

also curious as to the setting that can still show the super detailed lines in artwork without losing any detail (or color for paintings)

Mike.

Mike

I just use CamScanner.  No settings needed and I have had good luck.  Photoshop or iphone photo editing features can adjust for white balance.  

BTW saw photos of the New York Avengers exhibit and saw your Ross Hulk.  Is the title and words part of the art or some kind of translucent stat that you put in?  How did you do that.  It looks great.

On 9/30/2018 at 10:28 PM, Sooners151 said:

I've used CamScanner a bunch and really like it,  but I just found a new one today.  Microsoft Office Lens.  What I like is it allows me to take a picture with my normal camera phone, then import that picture into the program to adjust distortion and borders and finally save it back into my phone gallery.  That way the photos are at full camera resolution vs. some scaling with CamScanner (unless you pay for the upgrade).  I can also use the photo editor on my phone vs. what's available in CamScanner.

I like Camscanner better than office lens as Office lens erased some lines from some art I scanned but CamScanner made it perfect

2 hours ago, timguerrero said:

I like Camscanner better than office lens as Office lens erased some lines from some art I scanned but CamScanner made it perfect

Yeah camscanner is a good app. I will say, make sure to select the photo category with MS Lens.  It's a picture using your cell phones camera, so the program itself is not doing any editing except for squaring the picture.  

CamScanner is good, but it has two problems... First, the free version only provides low res. Second, the default setting monkeys with the brightness and contrast too much. I've gotten better results by using its warping feature, but dialing in the brightness and contrast manually.

I will try Office lens.

My sister just got me this funny little device called a PopSocket--

https://www.popsockets.com.au/pages/what-is-a-popsocket

I think this might help me at NYCC take pictures with just one hand on my phone. I am using ProCamera to lock the focus. We'll see how it goes.