• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spine completely split and completely detached
1 1

30 posts in this topic

Hey guys, so some horrible stuff happened yearserday to me, long story short I bought a copy of strange tales 89 and I’m lookin through it being very careful as o always try to be with older comics, the whole bottom spine was gone but the back cover was still attached by a thread or so to the top staple and the back was attached for eh front... well I guess I opened they book a wrong way and it touched the backboard strange and “RIP” the back cover detached from the top and the from cover... so now it went from a attached cover and not Fully split to a fully split cover and attachment... ? I feel so horrible... the comic is for my PC anyway so o don’t really care about the value as that’s not why I collect but i am so angry at myself because it did not have to happen and I caused it... any insights or anything on what to do... what should I do with it... etc. just wanted to ask you guys... though when I put it in the Mylar and place the front dm back rightfully it looks great... then again I like opening it... ? pictures attached are in the bag (detached and split)

7F816447-13D4-4A88-BB50-BF2D1D1666F9.jpeg

E94B89D3-BD6B-48B9-9BC8-BF262280DD36.jpeg

5FE8D49B-754B-4D80-AB9A-2C3C7418A0B1.jpeg

22713F77-463A-4A8F-9670-E1C0D950FFED.jpeg

That sucks! I wouldn't do anything with it as far as tear sealing or trying to reattach the cover because of the cost and the low upside (plus you're not selling it). Ultimately, however, such work should probably be done for the long-term preservation of the book.

If you do wish to read it again, I would suggest laying the covers aside while you do so to prevent additional damage to them.

As I am one of those rare souls that will probably go to comic book h*** because I have no issue using tape to help prevent a book like that from getting worse than it already is.

Yes, I know you skeptics will say that the tape will destroy the book more than it already is and I disagree.

The acidic properties of the tape will not deteriorate the book anymore than it already is in my lifetime and will prevent the book from falling apart piece by piece each time it is removed from/placed back in its bag or just touched.

My collection has numerous low grade reading copies (ranging from PR 0.5 - GD-2.0) that I have used tape to prevent further damage.

As I have no plans to ever sell any of my books and tape does not lower the grade on these readers...

The choices basically are...

1)Professional Restoration 

2)Tape Repair (Archival Tape)

3)Leave it alone and hope that nothing more happens to it the next time it is touched.

Of course it is your book and the choice is ultimately yours.

Here is my ST 89 FR 1.0 with Tape Repair.

de7b5x.jpg

49 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Oddly enough, is it true that archival tape would be considered restoration and regular Scotch tape wouldn't?

From my understanding, that's CGC's stance.

6 hours ago, Frank Grow said:

Yeah there should be a thread for comic handling disasters. I was holding open the front cover of a 5.5 lb Cole crime book and dropped the camera- right into the seam.      Rip! Tore through the staples and detached the cover. Just a shame but lesson learned. 

My first and only tape pull was an ASM 50.  It always hits the most valuable book you are dealing with in the stack.

The tape will ignore the jimmy olsen and lois lane books but perks up when ASM 50 or Hulk 181 pops up-

1 hour ago, marvelmaniac said:

Without thinking I inadvertently laid the Mylite with tape residue side facing down on top of this book and ripped the cover on the top left when I picked up the Mylite. doh!   :facepalm:

2zt9is6.jpg

One of my favorite 70's error covers. :cloud9:

Spine detached-merely trim the edges and claim rare printing error variant! :flipbait:

Edited by kav

On 9/30/2018 at 5:40 PM, Aliens said:

Hey guys, so some horrible stuff happened yearserday to me, long story short I bought a copy of strange tales 89 and I’m lookin through it being very careful as o always try to be with older comics, the whole bottom spine was gone but the back cover was still attached by a thread or so to the top staple and the back was attached for eh front... well I guess I opened they book a wrong way and it touched the backboard strange and “RIP” the back cover detached from the top and the from cover... so now it went from a attached cover and not Fully split to a fully split cover and attachment... ? I feel so horrible... the comic is for my PC anyway so o don’t really care about the value as that’s not why I collect but i am so angry at myself because it did not have to happen and I caused it... any insights or anything on what to do... what should I do with it... etc. just wanted to ask you guys... though when I put it in the Mylar and place the front dm back rightfully it looks great... then again I like opening it... ? pictures attached are in the bag (detached and split)

7F816447-13D4-4A88-BB50-BF2D1D1666F9.jpeg

E94B89D3-BD6B-48B9-9BC8-BF262280DD36.jpeg

5FE8D49B-754B-4D80-AB9A-2C3C7418A0B1.jpeg

22713F77-463A-4A8F-9670-E1C0D950FFED.jpeg

Don’t feel bad.  Books like that are a ticking time bomb so it was just a matter of time.  Imo it’s better now that it’s clean apart.  Much easier to handle.  I found it easy to damage a book in other ways if you have have to awkwardly hold it to compensate for the fragile area.