• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

11 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Silver said:

Been collecting this title for years, have had a complete for probably 25 years now, but always snag an upgrade when I find one. It’s quite a test of patience to try to get a nice set, but I came one issue closer today:

CFF0FE17-F7E2-458A-B97A-078CAA346763.jpeg

Tough run for sure as these rarely come up. And isn't Rube Grossman the artist on the infamous Pete Panda vegetable cover?

1 hour ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Tough run for sure as these rarely come up. And isn't Rube Grossman the artist on the infamous Pete Panda vegetable cover?

I'm happy to have a run in any grade, they are NOT easy to find at all.   Silver has some amazing copies.

Grossman did the main feature on all the original run, I think the reference to Martin Naydel on one of the slabs is talking about the puzzle pages in the back.

Sheldon Mayer did the art on the 70's revival once they started doing new stories; the early treasuries featured reprints (despite saying "all new" on the covers).

The 7.5 I thought would be my keeper for life has been quickly replaced:

I’m now on the hunt to replace four lower grade copies of the run to have a very solid fine or better set of the whole series.

An interesting fact I learned along the way. CGC has the first two issue totally messed up in their database. In the census they had the 1950 issue (#1) listed in the 1951 slot (#2). My #2 says first issue on the label...and Heritage kept referring to #2 in the previous sales of number 1. Maybe it’s a coincidence that both companies had them reveresed, but it makes me think that Heritage has a direct data feed to CGC’s census. Either way I think I was able to point it out to get fixed now. :ohnoez:

853D5662-2896-4339-B5D6-54C07DA294EF.jpeg