• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sales Tax on Signatures acquired at shows

13 posts in this topic

To the Facilitators and board members here - Are signatures by artists on your own property you get signed at conventions a sales taxable item or are they considered labor or a non-taxable thing?

I bring this up because a friend was charged sales tax on his signatures by an artist or artist rep this past weekend at Baltimore Comic Con and he had never heard of it before.

Edited by BeachBum

3 hours ago, AlphaRaptor said:

I paid tax on a comic I bought there, but not on any signatures. Thanks again for everything @BeachBum

Yeah, just looking for info in general on sales tax on signatures.

It was great meeting you and your son at Baltimore Comic Con this past weekend.

At the Star Trek Celebration in Las Vegas all autographs bought through the convention were charged sales tax. Cash or charge. Some of the celebrities did charge tax at their booth most did not.

At the Phoenix comic con I do believe if you bought through the convention they charged tax. 

On 10/3/2018 at 12:42 PM, rogue14 said:

Sounds about right.

Unless someone has insider information as to why this taxing seems to now be a thing.

This issue might depend on the State, some States feel sales tax should apply for all services/material used or involved in producing the product to be sold,  but you don't have to pay if you are a state end seller vendor.  If you charge sales tax on the "product/service" than you can supply a ST -121 or what ever form your state uses to a Artist/supplier/vendor if they are part of the process in making the product you are selling that is taxed. Is the Artist the end seller? If so they might have to charge sales tax( if they live in the state and are a vendor they would have to). Hard to enforce over state lines like ebay. But I am not a lawyer or a tax person so I might be wrong. 

Sorry if this was wordy or wrong.

23 hours ago, Grib said:

This issue might depend on the State, some States feel sales tax should apply for all services/material used or involved in producing the product to be sold,  but you don't have to pay if you are a state end seller vendor.  If you charge sales tax on the "product/service" than you can supply a ST -121 or what ever form your state uses to a Artist/supplier/vendor if they are part of the process in making the product you are selling that is taxed. Is the Artist the end seller? If so they might have to charge sales tax( if they live in the state and are a vendor they would have to). Hard to enforce over state lines like ebay. But I am not a lawyer or a tax person so I might be wrong. 

Sorry if this was wordy or wrong.

Makes sense, but why all the sudden is my issue. It’s  one thing if it’s been a thing for a while but now out of no where there’s a charge. Maybe a gradual tax, or a notice or some form of an FYI would help.

Guess that’s what this thread is for...its our disclaimer for future cons.

17 hours ago, rogue14 said:

Makes sense, but why all the sudden is my issue. It’s  one thing if it’s been a thing for a while but now out of no where there’s a charge. Maybe a gradual tax, or a notice or some form of an FYI would help.

Guess that’s what this thread is for...its our disclaimer for future cons.

States are always looking for new tax rev so they turned this stone over to see if it has worth. I feel it will take to many people hours to collect too few dollars and they will move on.

16 hours ago, RadiantGraphix said:

16 hours ago, RadiantGraphix said:

"So how much taxable revenue is changing hands under the table at conventions? And as a practical matter, are autographs services (e.g., taxable as income) or goods (taxable via the sales tax)?"

I feel this is the real issue as far as state taxes go. They are looking for a tax revenue but I feel they will find it to labour intensive for to little money. 

On 10/1/2018 at 8:16 AM, BeachBum said:

To the Facilitators and board members here - Are signatures by artists on your own property you get signed at conventions a sales taxable item or are they considered labor or a non-taxable thing?

I bring this up because a friend was charged sales tax on his signatures by an artist or artist rep this past weekend at Baltimore Comic Con and he had never heard of it before.

It will vary based on the municipality.  Signatures are a service and some places tax services.  Also, I have noticed ramped up enforcement at many cons.  It's becoming more difficult to fly under the radar.