• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA Color Touch or Ink Bleed from printing?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Bought a GA book recently that has a lot of spots of ink bleed on the front cover. They appear to mostly be on the outlines of shapes, however I am having trouble figuring out if this is color touch or just some ink bleeding through from the manufacturing process. The book is lower grade and there are plenty of other defects that were not touched up. In addition there doesn't seem to be any loss of gloss or discoloration on the front cover, so I am having trouble deciding what this is. Is it possible that this was caused in production? (The book doesnt not appear to have had moisture damage.)

20181001_171240.jpg

20181001_171235.jpg

20181001_171230.jpg

My first instinct would be to say bleed through from ct (on the inside cover) but the middle pic of the bc (I'm guessing) just looks like a stray ink smudge.

Ok, nevermind I can't read very well, apparently (C-3)...all pics are of the inside of the fc I'm now comprehending.

Edited by Mystafo

36 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

My first instinct would be to say bleed through from ct (on the inside cover) but the middle pic of the bc (I'm guessing) just looks like a stray ink smudge.

Ok, nevermind I can't read very well, apparently (C-3)...all pics are of the inside of the fc I'm now comprehending.

Yes all pictures are of the inside FC. I will try to take some better pictures later, but it doesnt really look like a smudge in person.

Really need some shots of the front. Can’t really tell what’s going on in the first picture (were the outlines traced on the front cover?) or the second, but the third sure like like CT to me. It’s right on a crease that may be color breaking but without pictures of the front it’s impossible to tell.

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:16 PM, OdinsSecrets said:

20181001_171235.jpg

20181001_171230.jpg

This looks to me like wheat paste/glue reinforcing a deep crease to prevent it from tearing off altogether. There's also small tears on the left edge of the pic that look like they've been sealed with the same adhesive element.

It would also be a miracle for the black ink of the toe of that shoe not to have flaked out of that crease/tear, so that in itself is highly suspect for color-touch, even if nowhere else (going by these pictures) but that toe.

On 10/19/2018 at 11:17 PM, James J Johnson said:

This looks to me like wheat paste/glue reinforcing a deep crease to prevent it from tearing off altogether. There's also small tears on the left edge of the pic that look like they've been sealed with the same adhesive element.

It would also be a miracle for the black ink of the toe of that shoe not to have flaked out of that crease/tear, so that in itself is highly suspect for color-touch, even if nowhere else (going by these pictures) but that toe.

I would disagree that wheat paste, or CT was applied to this interior cover.  FC photos would certainly help, but I've seen a lot of GA books that have bleed through for assorted reasons during production.  More(better) photos would help a lot because guessing at what were seeing wont the OP much.

Edited by Ze-man

1 hour ago, Ze-man said:

I would disagree that wheat paste, or CT was applied to this interior cover.  FC photos would certainly help, but I've seen a lot of GA books that have bleed through for assorted reasons during production.  More(better) photos would help a lot because guessing at what were seeing wont the OP much.

Why is there a "shoreline" on each side of that crease? It looks like stray paste, or glue, on each side of that furrow, because the instrument to apply it, brush, nozzle, q-tip, et.al. was wider than the fracture? And if that's a crease, deep enough to have completely affected the texture of the paper, i.e. a flaked crease (sure looks like a surface fracturing crease to me) in the white area, why hasn't the black ink at the top of the shoe flaked out of that fracture, as it should? Matter of fact, the black looks darker, not flaked or lighter, as should be expected when printer's ink meets and descends into a fracture/stress/crease, at the tip through that shoe.

57 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

hm  hm  hm  

Looks to me like when you spackle a wall,, trying to fill fissures and cracks, and none too meticulously. Looks like some type of paste was slathered on then most of the excess wiped off, again, not deftly. The texture appears to be matte areas within the glossy areas.

Where's out resident wizard? He'll know for sure if it's just lousy pics, light and image playing tricks on the eyes, or a sloppy spackling.

Wiz.gif

Edited by James J Johnson

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Why is there a "shoreline" on each side of that crease? It looks like stray paste, or glue, on each side of that furrow, because the instrument to apply it, brush, nozzle, q-tip, et.al. was wider than the fracture? And if that's a crease, deep enough to have completely affected the texture of the paper, i.e. a flaked crease (sure looks like a surface fracturing crease to me) in the white area, why hasn't the black ink at the top of the shoe flaked out of that fracture, as it should? Matter of fact, the black looks darker, not flaked or lighter, as should be expected when printer's ink meets and descends into a fracture/stress/crease, at the tip through that shoe.

What would take 10 seconds to spot in person, can take 25 photos online.   But since the OP hasn't been back in 3 weeks, I think we're spending way too much time trying to figure out what this is, based on what we have because we're comic dorks!    That said, I've removed glue from hundreds of GA books, and it doesn't ever look like this.  Doesn't mean there isn't anything here,  There's simply too much gloss, glare, wrinkles, peaks and valleys to really say what's going on here without more info.  And with GA coverstock being so thick?...all kinds of things are possible with creases and bends.

Here's the photo edited to better show what may or may not be there.

light tricks.jpg

Edited by Ze-man

Hey didn't mean to ignore this thread, but the book is now in storage so I can't take more pics at the moment unfortunately. 

This is the cover (not from the same book obviously) 

lf?set=path%5B3%2F1%2F4%2F9%2F3149457%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

The color did mostly follow outlines of images on the front (the bump shapes on the third image match the hookah?? looking pipe thing on the FC), but I didn't notice any tear seals at the time.