• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Top 35
2 2

41 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, podboy66 said:
6 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I own 80,000 books,

Wow! Thanks a lot of comics Karl!!

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

too many

So very true, especially when it comes time to try to sell them.  

As I have always said, especially in today's marketplace........It's so much easier to sell just one $10,000 comic book, as opposed to trying to sell one thousand $10 comic books.  hm

7 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I own 80,000 books, what an adventure it would be to get that down to 50!

Could I pick a top 50 of what I own? I suppose so...but it would not be easy to do.

Thanks for sharing your list.

I bet you could downsize to 1,000!

9 minutes ago, domuhnator said:

Im Surprised to see Tip topper 1 on that list. Theres Quite a few Books I would have thought you would pick over that one.

I think Tip Topper 1 says so much about the nature of men and the irritation that creates for women.  Just a brilliant little statement. 

499A6D0A-4945-4DC2-AD74-80B0A9884716.jpeg

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

7 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I think Tip Topper 1 says so much about the nature of men and the irritation that creates for women.  Just a brilliant little statement. 

499A6D0A-4945-4DC2-AD74-80B0A9884716.jpeg

Oh I Agree with you! its a super cool book I own one. I do love the irony of the cover and one more people should care about. but Im not sure if it would make my list though.

On 10/2/2018 at 5:02 PM, Artboy99 said:

I own 80,000 books, what an adventure it would be to get that down to 50!

Could I pick a top 50 of what I own? I suppose so...but it would not be easy to do.

Thanks for sharing your list.

I can’t imagine how you store them all!

1 hour ago, Spyder! said:

I can’t imagine how you store them all!

I live in a one bedroom condo too! :P

I have a friend that I partner with in our comic selling adventures. He has a house with a basement and a garage. Our stock that we take to shows is in his garage, the rest is stored in his basement. 

My personal collection is about 48 short boxes/ drawer boxes. About 8000 books stored in my small condo. I need to stop buying :) but the disease has quite a hold over me, I am afraid there is no cure.

3 hours ago, domuhnator said:

Oh I Agree with you! its a super cool book I own one. I do love the irony of the cover and one more people should care about. but Im not sure if it would make my list though.

This is definitely not a valuation list or anything.  Just the books that I like having the most in my collection.  

Ideally, I will eventually only have a top 25, maybe someday 10. My favorite thing is to have less things that I like more.  I’m sort of a reverse collector, I guess. 

Back in the early 90’s I had 300 long boxes (really) so this has been a progression towards minimalism.  

24 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

This is definitely not a valuation list or anything.  Just the books that I like having the most in my collection.  

Ideally, I will eventually only have a top 25, maybe someday 10. My favorite thing is to have less things that I like more.  I’m sort of a reverse collector, I guess. 

Back in the early 90’s I had 300 long boxes (really) so this has been a progression towards minimalism.  

That is awesome that you have been able to cull the heard like that ..... a progression towards minimalism is not often seen - well done!

25 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

That is awesome that you have been able to cull the heard like that ..... a progression towards minimalism is not often seen - well done!

I still have like a thousand or two misc books, various Disney, indies I liked in the 80’s and 90’s, Spideys and Hulk, Bonanza, Star Trek, etc. 

This list was just for gold/silver top books I guess and is really pretty cover centric with a few exceptions (four color 178).  If it were a real top 35 I would need a Concrete and Crow in here too probably but that wouldn’t play in the gold forum. I appreciated those stories. 

I think I will Take this over to a journal soon instead of in this forum.  I finally feel contented enough with my collection to slow down the churn and burn (flipping) because the goals have really been achieved. Action 1, Tec 27, heck, even Tec 31 just feel pretty out of reach, so I kept my focus on more eclectic fair, and happily so. 

On 10/1/2018 at 5:21 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

The last week I have been going through my collection to identify the books I really love. The books that I don't want to sell and even if I do I probably will be looking to get them right back. I have a habit of selling books and then buying them back 3-6 months later. :foryou:

My desire has always been to have a small collection but filled with books I really like a lot. 50 books that I keep feels good to me. I made it 35 (originally 51) just to feel like I was giving myself that one extra. If I add one in the future I will take one off. There have to be at least 20 books that are right there behind these and if one of them has to come in one of these will need to go. There are two of the books on this list that I am currently without a copy of but looking to remedy. I would rather not say which two, but one of them would be pretty obvious. It is in bold.

Here they are in alphabetical order:

Airboy Vol 4 # 8

All Top 16

Amazing Spider-Man 50

Archie 35

Baffling Mysteries 7

Betty and Veronica 40

Blue Beetle 52

Blue Beetle 54

Captain Easy 12

Captain Science 6

Famous Funnies 209

Fight 40

Fight 41

Four Color 178

Freckles & Friends 8

House of Secrets 92

Jo-Jo 25

Jumbo 159

Jungle 54

Katy Keene 62

Mystic Vol 2 # 2

Phantom Lady 18

Planet 18

Planet 33

Planet 35

Planet 65

Rangers 26

Speed 35

Startling 49

Strange Worlds 4

Tales of Suspense 8

Teen-age Romances 45

Tip Topper 1

Weird Science 20

Wonder Comics 13

Excellent post. I went through the same process about 5 years ago. I sold more than 400 GGA books and am now down to the last 22 that I consider keepers. I wish I could've kept the top 35 as well, since I do really miss some of those books. I still have a few long boxes filled with modern stuff and another 100 slabs of modern books I buy and sell for fun, depending on which movies are coming out. 

Here's my list:

Amazing Spider-Man #1

Blue Beetle #54

Brenda Starr #14

Fight #33 (Church), #38 (Church), #78

Jo-Jo #11, #25

Jungle Comics #74 (Church), #152 (Church)

Junior #13, #14, #15, #16

Oscar #3 (Church)

Patsy Walker #13 (Church)

Phantom Lady #17

Rusty #14 (Church), #15

Seven Seas #4

Startling Comics #49

Super Mystery Comics Vol. 7 #5 (Church)

Wings Comics #89

6 minutes ago, skybolt said:

Excellent post. I went through the same process about 5 years ago. I sold more than 400 GGA books and am now down to the last 22 that I consider keepers. I wish I could've kept the top 35 as well, since I do really miss some of those books. I still have a few long boxes filled with modern stuff and another 100 slabs of modern books I buy and sell for fun, depending on which movies are coming out. 

Here's my list:

Amazing Spider-Man #1

Blue Beetle #54

Brenda Starr #14

Jo-Jo #11, #25

Oscar #3 (Church)

Phantom Lady #17

Rusty #14 (Church), #15

Seven Seas #4

Startling Comics #49

Wings Comics #89

Great list!

2 minutes ago, skybolt said:

Here's my list:

Amazing Spider-Man #1

Blue Beetle #54

Brenda Starr #14

Jo-Jo #11, #25

Oscar #3 (Church)

Phantom Lady #17

Rusty #14 (Church), #15

Seven Seas #4

Startling Comics #49

Wings Comics #89

Oh my goodness are you a man after my own heart!! Your list are all favorites of mine. Seven Seas 4 really should be on my list too as I think it is a Top 3 Baker cover. 

I am with you big time on the Juniors, which forever has been my favorite of all GGA titles. I made the decision some months back to let them go and I regret it. It was such a painful decision that I have chosen to sort of erase that title from my mind, for the time being. We even have the same 4 favorites. Brenda Starr 14 for whatever reason, never really did it for me. I know that is heresy.