• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ruined by a signature
2 2

55 posts in this topic

I typically don't have a problem with signatures from artist or writer, even inside the art area.  But this is just horrible.

It makes me wonder if the owner is selling because s/he feels the same. Perhaps it was set in front of the actor for a signature and before you know it Iron Fist is the Flash and it's done. The current owner just needs it gone because of the trauma. I can't imagine them asking for the signature there. 

How much did this disaster cost?  Art costs + signing fees = :facepalm:

9 hours ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

I typically don't have a problem with signatures from artist or writer, even inside the art area.  But this is just horrible.

It makes me wonder if the owner is selling because s/he feels the same. Perhaps it was set in front of the actor for a signature and before you know it Iron Fist is the Flash and it's done. The current owner just needs it gone because of the trauma. I can't imagine them asking for the signature there. 

How much did this disaster cost?  Art costs + signing fees = :facepalm:

Most times I agree. In this case, however, if an artist (and I can't imagine who'd destroy their own work like that) signed across a main part of the artwork like that I'd have a pretty big problem with it. 

Edited by comix4fun

1 hour ago, NelsonAI said:

Unfortunately, this happens more than people realize.  When asking for autographs, you have to specify exactly where you want them to sign.  Even from the artists themselves.

The actor, in his defense, may have thought it was a print and not original art.

:sick: 

N.

Agreed. The actor was probably on auto-pilot and signed it like they sign everything else. Lesson learned, hopefully not too expensive of a lesson

15 hours ago, Will_K said:

Based on the topic alone, only one thing came to mind... "Stan Lee"

For me, and probably Brian Peck as well, the only thing that comes to mind can be Frank Thorne and the Marvel Feature v. 2 featuring Red Sonja #2 cover.  We were both at the Frank Thorne show at Illustration House a few years ago when the MF v. 2 #2 cover OA owner puts it in front of Frank to sign.  Frank (whose eyesight is not so good these days) immediately picks up a thick red marker and proceeds to sign the cover right over the artwork before anyone can stop him, as me and Brian look on in abject horror. :eek: 

Edited by delekkerste
corrected title to Marvel Feature v. 2 feat. Red Sonja

29 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

For me, and probably Brian Peck as well, the only thing that comes to mind can be Frank Thorne and the Red Sonja #2 cover.  We were both at the Frank Thorne show at Illustration House a few years ago when the RS #2 cover OA owner puts it front of Frank to sign.  Frank immediately picks up a thick red marker and proceeds to sign the cover right over the artwork before anyone can stop him, as me and Brian look on in abject horror. :eek: 

Wow, I did *not* know this. 

56 minutes ago, MagnusX said:

For me, it feels the same when the brothers
add the fake stats to any OA.

Destroy, gone forever…

:sorry:

Aren't those on an overlay or removable? 

I mean, them possessing OA at all makes it destroyed and gone forever for me, but I don't think that removable stats make much of a difference. 

I have covers the artist didn’t sign and I wouldn’t think of having it signed since the art goes from edge to edge.  Even if it didn’t, I prefer to keep the art exactly as it was when it left the artists hands and went through the production process.  It boggles my mind that people even get covers signed again after the artist had already signed it when he created it.  I remember a McFarlane cover where he signed three times for whatever reason, probably over a long period of time.  Looks ridiculous to me. But whatever floats your boat.

3 hours ago, dirtymartini1 said:

A ton of Sal B work is signed like this as well. Not as blatant crossing over art lines but there are plenty of examples of his big signatures going across an arm or panel page. I always cringe and stare sadly even though I dont own them.

Yep. I got one, although the signature isn’t in a that bad a spot. I now ask artists to please sign in the margin or on the back. 

A957E075-2EE3-489F-907C-2C8EA8A0C0B9.jpeg

Edited by PhilipB2k17

On 10/2/2018 at 8:32 AM, NelsonAI said:

Unfortunately, this happens more than people realize.  When asking for autographs, you have to specify exactly where you want them to sign.  Even from the artists themselves.

The actor, in his defense, may have thought it was a print and not original art.

:sick: 

N.

My first thought was that this happened at one of those quick signing sessions and the actor just signed everything quickly. I've seen comic art signed in the artwork before and not in a clever or hidden way and it makes me wonder what the artist is thinking? Not that the artist's name is bad but most people are getting original artwork and prints framed. I assume artists buy artwork as well and wouldn't want something signed in that matter. So I just think why are they so rushed that we see stuff like that example and others in the beginning of the topic.

Usually when I buy artwork or the occasional signed picture I always tell the person I'm going to have it framed. That usually gets to where the signature will go and how I obviously want the art and signature viewable without overlapping anything.

On 10/2/2018 at 10:26 AM, Oddball said:

I have covers the artist didn’t sign and I wouldn’t think of having it signed since the art goes from edge to edge.  Even if it didn’t, I prefer to keep the art exactly as it was when it left the artists hands and went through the production process.  It boggles my mind that people even get covers signed again after the artist had already signed it when he created it.  I remember a McFarlane cover where he signed three times for whatever reason, probably over a long period of time.  Looks ridiculous to me. But whatever floats your boat.

I have done it to be sure that what I have is really done by the artist. I had Adam Hughes resign a preliminary for a WW cover I bought as I wanted to be sure it was really made by him. I also like to get the writers to sign the artwork too just never like the defaced that Anacleto piece!