• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL #2

14 posts in this topic

Since I had the book in hand I'll add my 2c

I'd give the book a 9.0 as well. Just making 9.0 without a press, but a solid 9.0 with the press and an upside of possibly 9.2 depending on the dust shadow. It looks much nicer in hand, the pictures kind of do it no justice.

I can't see it grading more than 7.5 as it lays. Way too many fractured spine stresses for a 9.0 (and a few other things), not even close to that in my estimation, though the book does have exceptional paper quality. A press isn't going to help a few dozen fractured (color-breaking) spine stresses transversing the black line, but it will smooth out some of the impressions, thus 7.5 now, an exceptional 8.0 after a press, and with enough eye appeal, especially in the slab, if very clear, large scans are used that show the quality, to sell for an 8.5 to 9.0 price.

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:03 PM, James J Johnson said:

I can't see it grading more than 7.5 as it lays. Way too many fractured spine stresses for a 9.0 (and a few other things), not even close to that in my estimation, though the book does have exceptional paper quality. A press isn't going to help a few dozen fractured (color-breaking) spine stresses transversing the black line, but it will smooth out some of the impressions, thus 7.5 now, an exceptional 8.0 after a press, and with enough eye appeal, especially in the slab, if very clear, large scans are used that show the quality, to sell for an 8.5 to 9.0 price.

Hi JJ! Yes, that wear along the spine edge is what got my attention, and I was originally thinking an 8.0 because of that and the corner wear. I do wish the best of luck to Philreal, though...   :wishluck:

Wow, this is a super-nice survivor of 53 years. From my experience and observations, some leeway is given to these square-bound spines just because of how they were made. I do see some other issues with the cover that will probably hold this to an 8.5 at best, especially the defect just below the price box in the black. 

Stunning colours, lovely clean back cover but structurally I'm in the 7.5 to 8.0 range. One of those books that looks so much better than the sum of its flaws. I'd be happy to own it.