• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recessed staples in graded slab. Defect or damage?

8 posts in this topic

Sorry if this question had been asked before. I'm not sure if "recessed" is the correct descriptive word for my question. However, I recently purchased a graded book, X-Men #94 (CGC 9.2) which has recessed staples. Is this a "normal" manufacturing defect or is it damage? 

IMG_4914.jpg

IMG_4916.jpg

IMG_4918.jpg

Though I don't agree with them, CGC is usually pretty lenient on recessed staples.  You really need to get the notes to see if they downgraded for it. Personally, I hate the look of recessed staples. I think it sometimes can be bindery, not sure if this book is famous for it ? In this case, that top staple is pretty severe. I suspect damage.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Though I don't agree with them, CGC is usually pretty lenient on recessed staples.  You really need to get the notes to see if they downgraded for it. Personally, I hate the look of recessed staples. I think it sometimes can be bindery, not sure if this book is famous for it ? In this case, that top staple is pretty severe. 

Unfortunately, this book has no grader notes. I’m assuming that’s because all the flaws are obvious. 

1 minute ago, finalfan7asy said:

Unfortunately, this book has no grader notes. I’m assuming that’s because all the flaws are obvious. 

Well, in that case, any opinions offered would be speculation. I see enough spine creases that makes me think, for a 9.2, they gave the staples a pass.

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Well, in that case, any opinions offered would be speculation. I see enough spine creases that makes me think, for a 9.2, they gave the staples a pass.

I found a 9.2 on eBay which appears to have the same issue. I wonder if this is a common occurrence with this book. If so, it would make me feel better knowing that I didn’t just purchase a damaged book.

EDA9A7D2-F43F-4A9B-A133-A9FFD163042E.png

Recessed (or sometimes referred to as impacted) staples  are a common  printing defect. Books stapled with too much force. At it's worst the staple can cut right through the paper off cover.  It can also be a defect caused by poor pressing

CGC - for the most part - gives printing defects a pass. 

As Bomber-Bob notes, given the number of color breaking spine creases visible, it certainly appears as though the impacted top staple had no effect on the grade assigned. 

11 hours ago, finalfan7asy said:

I found a 9.2 on eBay which appears to have the same issue. I wonder if this is a common occurrence with this book. If so, it would make me feel better knowing that I didn’t just purchase a damaged book.

EDA9A7D2-F43F-4A9B-A133-A9FFD163042E.png

Your book looks much better than this 9.2 example !

15 hours ago, Tony S said:

Recessed (or sometimes referred to as impacted) staples  are a common  printing defect. Books stapled with too much force. At it's worst the staple can cut right through the paper off cover.  It can also be a defect caused by poor pressing

CGC - for the most part - gives printing defects a pass. 

As Bomber-Bob notes, given the number of color breaking spine creases visible, it certainly appears as though the impacted top staple had no effect on the grade assigned. 

+1   

Review online listings for Amazing Spider-,man #23 (Silver age). Recessed (indented) staples are a very common manufacturing feature on this issue more than any other Marvel issue I've seen. Some can have so little spine wear, almost a complete absence of stresses, and yet, the staples look like they're about to pull through the cover!  FF 67 is another Silver age Marvel that seems to have this common trait.