• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Milo Manara search

13 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Peter L said:

Does anyone know about buying Milo Manara art or if he does commissions?  Thanks.

I don't think he does commissions anymore. You can be lucky and get a nice sketch or doodle during a con, but not a "real" piece; consider that every piece (unpublished illos) that he did in the last decade have been sold for 10K+ (sometimes even 40K) in public auctions.

Please consider that there is a large part of his early works that you can buy cheap (a couple of hundreds) but you are just paying his name, as he was a teenager and those pieces are not worth the money (jolanda de almaviva et similar).

If you have some other question, don't hesitate to ask.... I am Italian, by the way :-)

Luca

3 hours ago, pestonaccio said:

I don't think he does commissions anymore. You can be lucky and get a nice sketch or doodle during a con, but not a "real" piece

Hi Luca

Do you think his con sketches are worth the money, when purchasing?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

Hi Luca

Do you think his con sketches are worth the money, when purchasing?

Thanks!

I am not a sketch guy, especially if you have to purchase them from someone who got them for free. Anyway prices are not crazy if compared to other masters, if you consider that in a few here Milo's pieces will be in museums; his illustrations are the most expensive, but panel pages/strips are still affordable. So go for published, if you have the funds.

Urania you s organising a huge auction at the end of October and they might have some good stuff for sale.

11 hours ago, pestonaccio said:

Please consider that there is a large part of his early works that you can buy cheap (a couple of hundreds) but you are just paying his name, as he was a teenager and those pieces are not worth the money (jolanda de almaviva et similar).

I disagree and find his Genius quite charming, admittedly a distant cousin in look to his mature 1980s style. That work is just fine, good art value, in the $100-300 range. Wikipedia says he began Genius, his first comics work, in 1969 the same year he turned 24. Not even close to teen-age.

7 hours ago, vodou said:

I disagree and find his Genius quite charming, admittedly a distant cousin in look to his mature 1980s style. That work is just fine, good art value, in the $100-300 range. Wikipedia says he began Genius, his first comics work, in 1969 the same year he turned 24. Not even close to teen-age.

Ohhh well, not his teenage years, but that was at the beginning  of his career, way before he was a professional artist; Genius and then Jolanda (1970, if my memory serves me) are not Manara. I am pretty sure that if you show a piece from one of those books to someone who is not a Manara expert he would have problems recognising who drew that page...

My idea is that you need art from those early works only if you are a huge fan and want every Manara work in your collection or if you want to have his name in your collection but not his style.

My 2 cents.

15 hours ago, pestonaccio said:

Ohhh well, not his teenage years, but that was at the beginning  of his career, way before he was a professional artist; Genius and then Jolanda (1970, if my memory serves me) are not Manara. I am pretty sure that if you show a piece from one of those books to someone who is not a Manara expert he would have problems recognising who drew that page...

My idea is that you need art from those early works only if you are a huge fan and want every Manara work in your collection or if you want to have his name in your collection but not his style.

My 2 cents.

Your 2 cents. Some collectors do wide and deep, and enjoy having representative pieces throughout a favored creator's career...if for no other reason than to trick other collectors in the "who did this?" game! LOL. Clearly this is not you though ;)

10 hours ago, vodou said:

Your 2 cents. Some collectors do wide and deep, and enjoy having representative pieces throughout a favored creator's career...if for no other reason than to trick other collectors in the "who did this?" game! LOL. Clearly this is not you though ;)

English is not my first language, so maybe I didn't make myslef clear, but you wrote down what I meant... Personally I would buy a Genius or a Jolanda page only if I was a big Manara fan and wanted to have pieces throughout all his career, from the beginning to the start. If it was "one piece only" I would never get an early page by him. :)

14 hours ago, pestonaccio said:

English is not my first language, so maybe I didn't make myslef clear, but you wrote down what I meant... Personally I would buy a Genius or a Jolanda page only if I was a big Manara fan and wanted to have pieces throughout all his career, from the beginning to the start. If it was "one piece only" I would never get an early page by him. :)

One. Is. Never. Enough.

It thought that was a given around here lol