• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on Viewing Comics From Dealers at Cons
2 2

63 posts in this topic

So....I have just started getting more into comics, not that I wasn't a fan before but, more of a reader now turned collector. Anyways, I have been going to cons and buying books here and there to start building a small collection, I have run into a few dealers that refuse to let you take the comic out to make sure it is intact. I more recently started asking to do this as I got slightly burned on one purchase, wasn't very expensive about 10-15 bucks, but after I got the comic home I wanted to inspect it and saw that the entire back was torn up. I've also had dealers just start cussing at me because I don't want certain variants that they're selling. Key example, comicpalooza was looking for a Spider-Gwen Venom variant, guy had a issue #1 from Mexico but not what I was looking for, told him I was not interested and he started cussing me out that I couldn't afford it anyways and I wasted his time. So as a newbie, I was curious as to how some of you out there handle dealers like this? It's very aggravating but I don't want to get into a yelling match at a con, so I just tend to step away. Is there certain etiquette to asking someone to see the comic fully? Should I just be automatically worried if someone doesn't want to actually present the item? 

Thanks In Advance 

Buy the book, take out, examine, any problems demand immediate refund.  If they balk, stand there and tell everyone that comes up to booth the rip offs in progress here.

15 minutes ago, kav said:

Buy the book, take out, examine, any problems demand immediate refund.  If they balk, stand there and tell everyone that comes up to booth the rip offs in progress here.

We'll what if the price matches the condition when he takes it out... meaning the book is complete, not resto, no trimming etc. His post implies he bought a book and wasn't happy with the overall condition ???

@ExodusGear what confuses me is that most dealers will take it out for you, but don't likely have too much time to do so....at a con. Most dealers, if they have books bagged and boarded... don't want you taking it out without permission.....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Basically lower grade books still need to sell, if you see a "book" that is 10-15$$ that shouldn't be then the condition is unseen, ask to have it inspected to see if it meets your standards. 

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

We'll what if the price matches the condition when he takes it out... meaning the book is complete, not rest, no trimming etc. His post implies he bought a book and wasn't happy with the overall condition ???

@ExodusGear what confuses me is that most dealers will take it out for you, but don't likely have too much time to do so....at a con. Most dealers, if they have books bagged and boarded... don't want you taking it out without permission.....

Regardless of what the value of the book is, if the dealer says there are no major issues and you buy even an action #1 for $1 and he lied and the back cover has a big weenie drawn on it, he needs to refund!!  

While the condition does matter, just more curious of others had exp things like that and how it was handled. I don't mind waiting for someone to bust the comic out so I can see, more than likely Ill buy it as im already interested to that degree. Just was wondering if it was a somewhat of a common thing to have requests like that refused entirely.

The buyer needs to know what they are buying.  Who cares if the price is fair.  Maybe they only buy bargains and that is their right.

1 minute ago, ExodusGear said:

While the condition does matter, just more curious of others had exp things like that and how it was handled. I don't mind waiting for someone to bust the comic out so I can see, more than likely Ill buy it as im already interested to that degree. Just was wondering if it was a somewhat of a common thing to have requests like that refused entirely.

We'll I spoke up because it's happened to me as well, not so much at a con, but at the comic shop.... there is nothing wrong with having them get it out for you and if they don't be very wary as @kav said. Just don't do it yourself or they'll assumed you've bought it already lol

As for the other portion 

That guy at comicpalooza is just a wanker :p

I know comic people can be eccentric, but one that curses and taunts has not been my experience. 

19 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

We'll what if the price matches the condition when he takes it out... meaning the book is complete, not resto, no trimming etc. His post implies he bought a book and wasn't happy with the overall condition ???

@ExodusGear 

As for this portion of my comment

At a con, dealers don't have a "lot" of time to inspect, keep their eye on the booth etc. This isn't aimed at you, but if they did it for everyone it would complicate things. 

Knowing pricing and condition going into the con might save people from frustrating circumstances etc. Especially if you ask to inspect a lot and don't buy anything etc. 

Not pointing fingers, it's just things that I've heard from dealers after cons. Probably not done intentionally by either party :foryou:

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

As for the other portion 

That guy at comicpalooza is just a wanker :p

I know comic people can be eccentric, but one that curses and taunts has not been my experience. 

To be fair, ive been to several cons and that one time is the only time iv'e really seen it first hand. Which kind of threw me for a loop, new exp, I can only assume maybe he was having a bad day or w/e.

23 minutes ago, kav said:
24 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Welcome to the Boards!

that too!

25 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Welcome to the Boards!

Also thank you for the welcome :D

8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Inspect what you can then maybe come back the next day or in an hour or so... but no set of circumstances should make a dealer curse and taunt:sumo:

if they curse and taunt merely release the silverfish and termites you acquired from @oakman29 into their long boxes!!!!!

Just now, oakman29 said:

What in the hell is the question?

how many termites does it take to eat a longbox full of comics.