• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on Viewing Comics From Dealers at Cons
2 2

63 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

There's a simple answer this question.

Just don't buy from anyone that won't let you inspect the book.

Or you could buy from someone who is reputable,  from a chosen few on the boards.

If some dealer does this merely smirk and nod your head like you know something he doesnt, say 'nice books you got there.  be a shame if-' then walk off chuckling.

1 minute ago, oakman29 said:

Or how long would take! Let's just say not long.:devil:

yes I had it happen-not long at all-

10 minutes ago, kav said:

yes I had it happen-not long at all-

-they really like the taste of GA books, I can attest to that-

it's aged like a fine wine or brie, to them.

Edited by kav

I ask the dealer if I can take it out or should he/she. If it is an expensive book with tape on the bag I ask them to. If it is in a Mylar sleeve or bag that doesn't leave much room I ask them to put it back in. I now inspect even $2 books outside the bag because I have come home too many times to find a chunk out of the back or a big water stain. I usually check for the centerfold, but not every page except marvel stamp era comics I check for that.

But where is the break point?  $1 books?  A busy dealer can’t unbag everyone’s books for them and it’s a huge risk to have people unbag books in a busy Con.  I don’t see a good solution done I agree people should be able to check over a book but there has to be limits.

Sellers that don't show an interest in listening to a customer is an immediate walk off for me no matter how good the deals are.  I'd rather spend a bit more with someone who is friendly than get a deal from someone who's grumpy and has an outright or even subtle attitude.  I've seen this time and time again at cons where sellers carry a certain attitude (usually only a small percentage of sellers, maybe 1 or 2 per show) and personally for me, I avoid them and would suggest you do the same if you feel a certain way about your experience with them.  I'll spend up to a few books on a book without taking it out of the plastic but anything more than $10+ requires an inspection or else the $10 book becomes a dollar book and i'm just wasting my money.  A seller should understand this and be OK with it as long as they aren't asking to see 100 books and not actually buying anything.  

ive never experienced what you said. as long as you know the situation I cant imagine you would run into a problem.  if the booth is packed with 10 people trying to buy don't bother the guy asking to open and inspect books.  if its a small local show and hes sitting there by himself or maybe one other guy is going through boxes than ask away.

I also don't ask on any book under $50.  I guess I just don't imagine being "ripped" off for that cost.  over that I really need to know what im getting.  just always ask them to open it so any possible damage to the book would be on them and not you and they will respect that.

also don't be that guy asking to open 10 books and then not buy a single one.  I would be mad as a dealer in that same situation and thank you for wasting my time.

I spent a half hour talking to one of the 2 owners at my LCS yesterday. I'm hoping that I run into him (forgot to catch his name, like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person) every time I walk in, because I've interacted with the other gentleman, and he doesn't really improve the atmosphere. I totally understand the pull of a good personality and vibe in attracting customers.

I will say that if the show is busy and I'm the only one there (which I usually am), if you ask me to open up a dozen $3 books, I'll tell you that a) I can put them aside and when it's less busy, they can come back and look at them, or b) I can sell them to you now and you can bring them back if you find anything wrong with them.

2 minutes ago, RCheli said:

I will say that if the show is busy and I'm the only one there (which I usually am), if you ask me to open up a dozen $3 books, I'll tell you that a) I can put them aside and when it's less busy, they can come back and look at them, or b) I can sell them to you now and you can bring them back if you find anything wrong with them.

This is a very fair approach.