• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you ever choose to NOT sell to a specific customer?
2 2

55 posts in this topic

I'm not sure I would deny a sale based on the person buying my book and flipping it for some profit. That is what makes the business go around (some do it more ethically than others, yes).  However, if I found out that person was misrepresenting the book, then I would have a problem.

The only time I nearly refused a sale and this customer is borderline with me now, is because of his attitude. I had never had a problem with him before and at the last con, he didn't want to pay my asking price, so we negotiated and when I would not go any lower he went all troll on me and made a bit of a scene.  In the end, I told him that was my best and final offer. He could buy them or not.  He begrudgingly purchased the books but if there is a next time and he behaves like that again, I will just close the door on any future transactions.  

And the $$$ I see some people spending on some of these raffles, especially some of the bigger players on IG...Great for the winner but there are a lot of people flushing $100's of dollars away.  Zero protection too...They all want e-transfer or PayPal friends and family. Not sure how PayPal can't catch on...

It all depends on how illegal you view on-line raffles are.  If you feel they are highly illegal then I would understand you wanting to not be associated with him or the process of raffling books.  If you feel its similar to March Madness pools at your office where its not technically legal but it's not something you worry about then I can see you continuing to sell to him and shaking your head at all the rubes online.

Edited by 1Cool

1 hour ago, Wall-Crawler said:

I'm not sure I would deny a sale based on the person buying my book and flipping it for some profit. That is what makes the business go around (some do it more ethically than others, yes).  However, if I found out that person was misrepresenting the book, then I would have a problem.

The only time I nearly refused a sale and this customer is borderline with me now, is because of his attitude. I had never had a problem with him before and at the last con, he didn't want to pay my asking price, so we negotiated and when I would not go any lower he went all troll on me and made a bit of a scene.  In the end, I told him that was my best and final offer. He could buy them or not.  He begrudgingly purchased the books but if there is a next time and he behaves like that again, I will just close the door on any future transactions.  

And the $$$ I see some people spending on some of these raffles, especially some of the bigger players on IG...Great for the winner but there are a lot of people flushing $100's of dollars away.  Zero protection too...They all want e-transfer or PayPal friends and family. Not sure how PayPal can't catch on...

I know a few guys were getting their Friends and Family feature turned off or blocked because they were getting way too many people sending them cash. 

22 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I have a guy local to me that buys books off of me at comic shows and then sells them the same day in the evening in a Facebook channel. Usually he gets 30-40% more than he paid me for the book. I honestly do not understand how he can get the price he does by selling via a video auction on Facebook: you can't make out any detail at all regarding defects.

if he pays my price I don't care.

But next time he buys off us he’s paying sticker price.

It’s annoying to see raffles for cheaper books. Such as books less than say $500 value. Gem Mint’s raffles are the best ones I think, since you have a chance to win mega keys like ASM 1, X-Men 1, Hulk 181, even AF 15. But seeing raffles for TT 44 and cheaper keys...it’s basically a sneaky way for a seller to sell a book for multiples of GPA. They think “We’ll I tried to sell for GPA. No ones buying from me so I’ll just raffle it and get my $$$ that way.” I guess what’s even more annoying are the guys that actually enter the raffle. I want to say, if you want the book that bad you can just save up $100 bucks? But some people love the gamble. I’ve seen people raffle $50 dollar books on IG. :facepalm:

Edited by punksdropdirtysrh

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:57 AM, RCheli said:

For example, he had a New Teen Titans #44 CGC 9.4, selling 15 spots at $10 each.  He gets $150 (minus Paypal fees). You can find this same book on eBay for about $75. 

Now, I'm not going to tell someone that they're being idiotic in trying to win these comics (even though it's obviously not worth it), and I'm not even going to tell this guy to stop doing it (even though it's against eBay's policy). But I do want to tell him that I'm not going to sell him my stuff. Am I being overly sensitive? Should I just not care? He's not buying anything that I couldn't sell to another person.

I'll do it for you -- they're idiotic.  Honestly, who looks at the proposition of spending $10 to either save $65 or get absolutely nothing as a good risk/reward?  If you're that desperate to gamble $10, sign up for a DraftKings account.

On e a sale is complete I don’t care what the buyer does with it after. What I don’t like is when I get the “it’s my grail books story” and the book is up on a consignment site a week later. 

With that said there are many I choose not to sell to, but it is not based on previous sales. 

23 minutes ago, divad said:

Yes, indeedy! :grin:

9 hours ago, kav said:

If I sold books and the guy didnt appreciate the story well then I WOULDNT SELL TO HIM ANY MORE!!

giphy.gif   :foryou: 

I cannot stand those IG raffles. Isn't it illegal? It's gambling. I run an actual business and I ask folks who tag me on IG to participate in raffles to please not do so. Grrr.... (tsk) I hope FB/IG cracks down on this. And I think they will eventually.

I wouldn't sell to this buyer if I were in your shoes. I've come close to banning a few buyers who are repeatedly rude and disrespectful. The type who takes up literally 15 minutes of your time haggling over a $50 slab during a show, while being rude. That's time I could spend helping others find things in my bins.

Edited by KEY ISSUES Comics

I've accepted that Raffles have become mainstream now on FB and IG eventually. Personally its just slimy to me, but I know some people who run them and make
decent money from them. They are constantly looking for keys to buy for them. Its just another shady part of our hobby that has come out the last few years.

Now all that being if the guy is paying your full price as long as you cant be tied to their illegal activities who cares. I don't care what anyone does with my
books after they buy them. Some slab them and make more good for them. (Everyone is happy.) But like you said if there activities even remotely look
illegal I would cut him off. Like you it just is not something I want to be even remotely involved in. Its an ethical dilemma for sure.

And like you I have no idea how some of these sellers on Facebook are outright gouging buyers from current online prices and don't even grade them.
I look for FB in the next year or two to legitimize their marketplace and compete with ebay.

3 minutes ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

I cannot stand those IG raffles. Isn't it illegal? It's gambling. I run an actual business and I ask folks who tag me on IG to participate in raffles to please not do so. Grrr.... (tsk) I hope FB/IG cracks down on this. And I think they will eventually.

Illegal isn't always the same as a rules violations which isn't always the same as legal (but with specific tax implications) which isn't always the same as unethical which isn't always the same as bad business which isn't always the same as fraud.  There's a lot to parse through, any many points along the spectrum. 

Would you sell to someone who YOU KNEW was reselling for profit but WASN'T paying their taxes on it?  What if someone held the lotteries physically in their store as opposed to online, but DID pay the taxes?  If you as the original seller don't pay the taxes, is that more or less legal or ethical than the next dude doing a lottery?

I think if there's a lot of wormholes to dig if one is interested.  I would say that unless you know someone is actively lying or committing fraud, what they do with the comic they bought from you is their business.  Otherwise what if you know they're gonna resell and donate money to a religious, social, or political entity you disagree with?  What if their kid goes to the rival college of your college?

A guy that I work with recently scored in one of those "box lots" at a con. $10. for a "mystery box". He got a very high grade Black Cat Mystery #50. He was actually disappointed that he didn't get an autographed/slabbed Stan Lee book until I told him what he got. He is a SA guy that knows nothing about GA. Sucks to be honest sometimes. I could have probably traded him some X-Men and a Stan autographed book for it. Now he has dollar signs and "stars" in his eyes...

And oh yes, I've kicked people out of my booth more than once. Usually, very rude or whiney folks that try to explain to me why my "price is too high". Usually waving a cell phone with an ebay auction on it. I can deal with that but if you are rude, abusive or whiney, I want you gone. I've never had to get physical but I have called security a couple of times for the real stubborn ones. 

I often have to explain that the item in question is junk and that they are right. It isn't worth anything especially my "lofty" price. It is stuff people threw away. If they don't believe me, take it to 7-11 and see if they will give you a carton of milk for it. It is only worth money to crazy people like us...

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

And oh yes, I've kicked people out of my booth more than once. Usually, very rude or whiney folks that try to explain to me why my "price is too high". Usually waving a cell phone with an ebay auction on it. I can deal with that but if you are rude, abusive or whiney, I want you gone. I've never had to get physical but I have called security a couple of times for the real stubborn ones. 

I often have to explain that the item in question is junk and that they are right. It isn't worth anything especially my "lofty" price. It is stuff people threw away. If they don't believe me, take it to 7-11 and see if they will give you a carton of milk for it. It is only worth money to crazy people like us...

wait till they are selling a newer toyota and want $12,000 for it and point out there's a toyota on craigs list for $100-

Edited by kav