• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is the best source to order print books from online?

5 posts in this topic

Hi all, long time reader and first time poster...I am just wondering who everyone thinks is the best online comic shop to order print subscriptions from? The two most important facets I am looking for are 1. The best discount for 50 plus monthly subscriptions. 2. My books arriving in the best condition, new NM. (Yes I understand about Diamond's shipping and lack of handling / care issues). I thought there was a post within the last 2-3 years on the Newbie threads recommending different online retailers but I haven't been able to find it again. I have looked at Midtown and DCBS, I just want to know if you have any other suggestions and and other tips haven't read or heard of yet. Thank you everyone for any and all help. :)

30 minutes ago, FN-2199 said:

This thread may help you:

30 minutes ago, FN-2199 said:

This thread may help you:

Thank you very much for the response and link, I knew I had come across this topic in the chats sometime in the last year but I could not find it again, I thought it might be good to update the discussion anyways even though it was fairly recent, I really appreciate the help so thank you again.

You need to find your local comic shop and give them your wish list/selective list/subscription. Tell them that you want to keep them in NM condition. Also you have to give them your bags/boards to the dealer before the new comic books arriving on Wednesdays. That is what I did with my LCS.

I used to subscribe comic books via other comic book store online (it's one hour of driving). I never had a problem from 2009 to 2015 until I got one or two damaged books per month (to save the shipping cost instead of weekly) so I decided to shift to my nearest comic book store. Only one negative about my LCS, they don't order variant comic books. They said it's too expensive and wanted to sell regular comic books to make the money.

I seldom use my subscription online for the variant comic books that became my hit and miss mission but it's unpredictable like Batman Damned #1 - I had to drive 45 minutes to the little shop in a small town and had to pay $30 per copy instead of $6.99.

I appreciate your reply JollyComics but I am switching to online because my LCS does not and will not give me the titles I subscribe to in NM condition nor will they bag and board them for me even if I give them my own bags and boards. They also only give a 10% discount to subscribers which as many titles as I get is just not cutting it, I average $4-500.00 a month in subscriptions, sorry but for that kind of monthly pay out I expect my books in NM condition and I do not want the hassle of having to track down single issues every month because I got shorted. The other problem is my LCS orders the bare minimum so when they do received damages from Diamond, I either get books in VF condition or I may not get them at all, last month I was shorted over 5 books on 5 different titles because of this so then I had to go buy them online anyways. We have a new shop that is higher end that has opened here recently that does bag & board all their books on the rack which personally they way I feel in today's age with the costs of basic books being so high, ALL shops should do this as a courtesy, I know it is an extra cost and amounts to a lot annually but these books are not 35 cents or even $2.50 each anymore, the average is $5.00, for that shops should do this for their customers. I was able to pick up 2 copies each of Batman Damned #1 cover but they have a limit of 2 per customer and I forgot to load up on them and order ahead so that was my fault but still 2 each on any book is pretty limited. I am glad I got those either way though, 2 each is more than most people were able to get of them. My LCS does get a lot of variants, the newer store specializes in the higher ratio variants so I have a nice local mix but I still prefer to get them with a heavy discount which in turn allows me to buy more books.