• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"CGC crossover special!!" Get 50%off for cgc to grade other companies slabs
7 7

223 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

Fixed

I got the impression that superior optics ....making it ideal for visual display was referring to Newton Rings.

wow - newton rings are now being being referred as a state of the art optic. There goes any hope of CGC to fix it

I have a CBCS ASM 129 9.6W that I would switch over as it is every bit as good as my CGC 121W as looked through a 10 power lens but I feel like they could easily downgrade on purpose out of spite, so I will just leave it as is. I am surprised typing CBCS gets through the profanity filter.

18 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

I have a CBCS ASM 129 9.6W that I would switch over as it is every bit as good as my CGC 121W as looked through a 10 power lens but I feel like they could easily downgrade on purpose out of spite, so I will just leave it as is. I am surprised typing CBCS gets through the profanity filter.

Yeah I agree. I have a number of 9.8 cbcs slabs and all are easily just as good or better than any 9.8 cgc. I even have a few 9.6 cbcs that look perfect. Of course I can't see possible color touch or restoration but I just can't trust these guys. It wouldn't be worth the financial risk with a spiteful grader

10 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yeah I agree. I have a number of 9.8 cbcs slabs and all are easily just as good or better than any 9.8 cgc. I even have a few 9.6 cbcs that look perfect. Of course I can't see possible color touch or restoration but I just can't trust these guys. It wouldn't be worth the financial risk with a spiteful grader

I highly doubt the graders will know it came from an old CBCS slab.  They seem like the type of company who have staff that breaks them out and puts them in bags/boards before they get to the grader (probably more efficient that way).  But maybe they put "old CBCS book" on the front of the bag to make sure the graders know.

Edited by 1Cool

18 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

In theory, the graders are not supposed to know anything about the source of the book. However, I have a feeling they will in this situation. If they grade the books the same or better, this will backfire against them. They need for the grades to be lower. I agree, not worth the risk.

13 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I highly doubt the graders will know it came from an old CBCS slab.  They seem like the type of company who have staff that breaks them out and puts them in bags/boards before they get to the grader (probably more efficient that way).  But maybe they put "old CBCS book" on the front of the bag to make sure the graders know.

Oh I know they'd have no idea it's non CGC and that their are 3 graders per book if I'm not mistaken. I'm pretty sure they'd just treat the crossovers just like any other but there's always the chance of a couple of excessively tough graders (since there's no consistent standards) looking at these books. Financial gain of these books in CGC slabs in same grade wouldn't be too much more than where they are now

Edited by MGsimba77

6 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Financial gain of these books in CGC slabs in same grade wouldn't be too much more than where they are now

Which books?

23 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:
On 10/3/2018 at 10:06 PM, WoWitHurts said:

I'm no CGC cheerleader but do you guys really believe they would lower the grade on your comic out of spite? Really?

11 minutes ago, WhatMeWorry said:

How would this new service affect regular turnaround times?

More traffic. Coupled with newton ring returns, it will adversely affect TATs unless they have increased the size of their grading team to meet the increased demand.

In theory, of course.

On 10/3/2018 at 10:27 PM, Jerkfro said:
On 10/3/2018 at 9:51 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

CGC is introducing a CrossOver service that, for a limited time, provides a 50% discount on CGC’s grading fees for comics that were previously graded and encapsulated by another grading company.

Here's how it works:

• Comics submitted for CrossOver must be intact in another grading company’s holder.
  • These comics will be removed by CGC from that company’s holder and graded according to CGC’s grading standards.
  • They will then be encapsulated in CGC’s state-of-the-art holder, which combines superior optics, except for the Newton Rings and the most advanced archival materials, making it ideal for visual display, except for the Newton Rings and preservation.

Fixed

I was just reading this thread for the first time and jerkfro beat me to it. It's laughable for CGC to describe the new holder this way while a poll with 209 votes bemoaning visual flaws exist on their own website!

1 hour ago, Jerkfro said:

I'm no CGC cheerleader but do you guys really believe they would lower the grade on your comic out of spite? Really?

I can't speak for the other member but no I don't. I meant spiteful in terms of being a tough grader in general not just so they can dump on cbcs.

I should have wrote excessively strict instead of spiteful

Handed over two books to them today at NYCC... Incidentally they said that NYCC is the biggest show for submissions. 

Cap 47 was a Restored 3.5 that I asked Joey to take the spine roll out of.  He did a fantastic job with it by the way.  It came back from CBCS as a 4.5 when I wanted to give them a try.  I really want it back in a CGC holder.  

Superman 11... I won a 3.0 on CLink that was already in a CBCS holder. That will come back in a CGC holder as well.