• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"CGC crossover special!!" Get 50%off for cgc to grade other companies slabs
7 7

223 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, sagii said:

Handed in a Hangman Comics #2 and a Crown Comics #4, both in PGX slabs on Thursday.

Will bump this Thread when I get them back in their new CGC slabs :wishluck:

Yeah let us know, Corey.  Those are great books.  :wishluck:

On 10/20/2018 at 1:29 PM, BriD. said:

Has anyone noticed if this service is on the online submission form yet? I checked but I don't have a paid membership and can't view the form.

I just went through to add a book and unless I missed the option, it does not appear to be available yet,  I have a few I want to send in too.

Just received the following email from CGC regarding this CrossOver service.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CGC Sweetens CrossOver Service with Additional Incentives

CGC’s new CrossOver service, which was universally embraced by collectors at New York Comic Con, has been expanded to include all CGC grading tiers on CGC's online submission form. The service has also been enhanced with two amazing new incentives.

First, CGC will provide free screening for CrossOver submissions at its Standard, Express and WalkThru tiers. Second, CGC will only charge a flat grading fee of $10 for any books submitted for CrossOver service that go down in grade, regardless of tier and value.

These incentives, along with introductory CrossOver discounts of up to 50% off regular grading fees for books that earn the same or higher grade, make it easier than ever for collectors to move their treasured comics to CGC.

Here are the grading tiers with the introductory discounts applied:

• Modern: $12
  • Value: $16.20
  • Economy: $22.80
  • Standard: $32.50
  • Express: $50
  • WalkThru: 1.5% of the Declared Value, $75 minimum

For the Standard, Express and WalkThru levels, graders will screen the books in their holders for free. CGC will contact submitters with guidance on whether their book will drop in grade, and whether pressing or conservation services might benefit their books. Submitters are not charged any grading fees if they decide not to proceed with the CrossOver.

The CrossOver service works like this:

• Comics submitted for CrossOver must be intact in another grading company’s holder.
  • These comics will be removed by CGC from that company’s holder and graded according to CGC’s grading standards. If the grade goes down, CGC will charge only $10 in grading fees.
  • Books will then be encapsulated in CGC’s state-of-the-art holder, which combines superior optics and the most advanced archival materials, making it ideal for visual display and preservation.

Take advantage of the special limited-time discounts on grading tiers to have your comics graded by CGC and enjoy the many benefits that come with trusting the industry leader for over 18 years:

• The highest prices realized in the marketplace
  • The confidence of knowing your books were graded by the team of experts who have certified over 5 million collectibles
  • The superior protection of CGC’s archival holder

Please note: There is no guarantee that the grade assigned by CGC will be the same as the grade assigned by the other grading service. Signed collectibles submitted under the CrossOver service will not receive a CGC Signature Series label.

The CGC online form allows free members to submit at shows, and paid members to submit at shows or through the mail. If you have additional questions regarding CGC’s CrossOver Service, please contact CGC Customer Service at 1-877-662-6642.

22 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Just received the following email from CGC regarding this CrossOver service.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CGC Sweetens CrossOver Service with Additional Incentives

CGC’s new CrossOver service, which was universally embraced by collectors at New York Comic Con, has been expanded to include all CGC grading tiers on CGC's online submission form. The service has also been enhanced with two amazing new incentives.

First, CGC will provide free screening for CrossOver submissions at its Standard, Express and WalkThru tiers. Second, CGC will only charge a flat grading fee of $10 for any books submitted for CrossOver service that go down in grade, regardless of tier and value.

These incentives, along with introductory CrossOver discounts of up to 50% off regular grading fees for books that earn the same or higher grade, make it easier than ever for collectors to move their treasured comics to CGC.

Here are the grading tiers with the introductory discounts applied:

• Modern: $12
  • Value: $16.20
  • Economy: $22.80
  • Standard: $32.50
  • Express: $50
  • WalkThru: 1.5% of the Declared Value, $75 minimum

For the Standard, Express and WalkThru levels, graders will screen the books in their holders for free. CGC will contact submitters with guidance on whether their book will drop in grade, and whether pressing or conservation services might benefit their books. Submitters are not charged any grading fees if they decide not to proceed with the CrossOver.

The CrossOver service works like this:

• Comics submitted for CrossOver must be intact in another grading company’s holder.
  • These comics will be removed by CGC from that company’s holder and graded according to CGC’s grading standards. If the grade goes down, CGC will charge only $10 in grading fees.
  • Books will then be encapsulated in CGC’s state-of-the-art holder, which combines superior optics and the most advanced archival materials, making it ideal for visual display and preservation.

Take advantage of the special limited-time discounts on grading tiers to have your comics graded by CGC and enjoy the many benefits that come with trusting the industry leader for over 18 years:

• The highest prices realized in the marketplace
  • The confidence of knowing your books were graded by the team of experts who have certified over 5 million collectibles
  • The superior protection of CGC’s archival holder

Please note: There is no guarantee that the grade assigned by CGC will be the same as the grade assigned by the other grading service. Signed collectibles submitted under the CrossOver service will not receive a CGC Signature Series label.

The CGC online form allows free members to submit at shows, and paid members to submit at shows or through the mail. If you have additional questions regarding CGC’s CrossOver Service, please contact CGC Customer Service at 1-877-662-6642.

This is very cool- I just mailed out 5 other guys slabs - 3 cbcs and 2 pgx- 2 at the standard level and 3 modern, I can not wait to see what happens. 

Very interesting how this will impact CGC's incentives to give high grades. Only $10 if CGC gives it a lower grade?  This deal sounds too good to be true.  I would hope to get a lower grade on every book for the $10 fee!

2 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Very interesting how this will impact CGC's incentives to give high grades. Only $10 if CGC gives it a lower grade?  This deal sounds too good to be true.  I would hope to get a lower grade on every book for the $10 fee!

I don't see it as something driven by short term $; they are eliminating the very existence of the other slabs and increasing market dominance. That should pay off very well in the long run.

2 minutes ago, Bird said:

I don't see it as something driven by short term $; they are eliminating the very existence of the other slabs and increasing market dominance. That should pay off very well in the long run.

Yes, I believe that is the motivation.  I would be totally happy to have a PGX 4.5 come back a CGC 4.0 for only $10 bucks though!

37 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Yes, I believe that is the motivation.  I would be totally happy to have a PGX 4.5 come back a CGC 4.0 for only $10 bucks though!

And at that cost many may consider pressing with CCS first, so more $ for them and a better chance of not getting that grade drop.

I received an email today that the 7 books I submitted have gone through the initial screening process. It was suggested that one book could get a slight bump with a press but I declined that. The others did not fare so well at this point in the process :eek:. I'm really hoping for no PLODs :wishluck: (or newton rings)

I asked if the graders would have any of the old information when the books get to grading.

I was told that the graders will not have any of the old slab information when they get the books, similar to how they are supposedly unaware when pressed books come from CCS. I guess I'll take their word on that. I assume they will compare the grades at the end and charge accordingly. On the plus side, my order might be only $10 per book!  Now the waitingzzz

I also got the email about my 2 standards being screened, they said both "should" grade at the grade they are or within a half grade - no mention of a press or anything. I told them to move forward with the grading. We will find out in a couple weeks how it goes, plus the 3 moderns sent in with no screening...

On 11/2/2018 at 8:25 PM, BriD. said:

I asked if the graders would have any of the old information when the books get to grading.

I was told that the graders will not have any of the old slab information when they get the books, similar to how they are supposedly unaware when pressed books come from CCS. I guess I'll take their word on that. I assume they will compare the grades at the end and charge accordingly. On the plus side, my order might be only $10 per book!  Now the waitingzzz

This is a pretty important point, as I haven’t seen anywhere them mention this. Makes a big difference to me that they claim they’ll maintain grading integrity where graders won’t know what grade it received previously with the other guys... I agree if they do know, would bias them negatively to grade lower (IMO, despite getting a lower $10 fee, worth more of having the rep that they’re the tougher grading company).