• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"CGC crossover special!!" Get 50%off for cgc to grade other companies slabs
7 7

223 posts in this topic

On 4/15/2019 at 11:04 PM, toro said:

I received my first batch of old PGX books back.

Why did you have so many PGX books in the first place? 

My question got answered in a subsequent post.

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon

I had 24 GA books and one Modern that I got back yesterday.  All were universal alien labels and at least no resto/conservation was detected. 

The Modern dropped from 9.8 to 9.6.

GA books

16 stayed the same.  One of these was a double cover and both covers stayed the same.  Plus two were peds and they retained their ped status. 

6 went down.

2 went up.

Details of the +/-

Ups

9.4 - 9.6

3.0 - 3.5

Downs

4.5 - 4.0

6.5 - 6.0

7.5 - 6.5 

4.5 - 4.0

5.5 - 5.0 This was one of the peds (Cosmic Aeroplane)

4.5 - 4.0

One issue was that my account wasn't credited for those that went down as the submission was received before the deal expired.  But a shout-out to Jane Beattie, CGC CS Rep.  She investigated and had the credit applied to my account.  She was great and to be honest, I cannot of one time I have received bad customer service from CGC. 

I cannot say the same for Voldy.  I mentioned in a few posts how my once and done submission to the non-distinguished competition how poor the customer service and was given incorrect information as to what books could be graded.  That cost me a rejection fee which they hit you with as well essentially said I was lying about the information I was given. 

1 hour ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Why did you have so many PGX books in the first place? 

My question got answered in a subsequent post.

Today I still buy PGX books if they are decently priced and look nice in the picture.  I look at them mostly like ebay raw books, but I would never pay GPA price for any of them.   

I was shocked that the PGX FF48 came back  the same grade.  If that book was in a grading contest I would have said it was in 4.5 maybe 5.0, I never saw that coming back as a 6.0.

On 4/20/2019 at 1:11 PM, shadroch said:

The problem is their restoration check is non existent and their very shady relationship with Danny Patterson. On the honesty scale, PGX ranks just above the disgraced, disbarred chap CGC keeps allowing to advertise on this site.

I cracked one of the few PGX books I had and it was actually missing pages.  I have also had one that was restored like you mention (not too hard to spot either, tear seals and CT).  The only time I would buy a PGX book is if it is one on my want list that I can't find anywhere else (I collect only GA books so some are hard to come by) but even then I dread what might lurk in the PGX slab and just roll the dice.

This one was a CBCS 7.5 W.  I thought it might stay the same. :cry:

1504083086_donwinslow11001.thumb.jpg.ea047c378e899a9cf94280b2a1a6bdc3.jpg

1657083247_donwinslow11b001.thumb.jpg.b1d6116beed3b8463d00203586f613a0.jpg

This was a CBCS 7.5 ow/w that I thought would drop.  Visually, the #11 above is a much prettier book.  Graders Notes for the #11 are: small crease right top of front cover breaks color, subscription crease front cover, tear top of front cover.  Notes for the #31 are: wear top of spine breaks color.

220559227_donwinslow31001.thumb.jpg.ce13f2b02ef61e218cd0fd1c6a3f9f42.jpg

1185561872_donwinslow31b001.thumb.jpg.1a28dab9e1d1226c47f4ce31b1acec84.jpg

On 4/25/2019 at 10:08 AM, telerites said:

One issue was that my account wasn't credited for those that went down as the submission was received before the deal expired.  But a shout-out to Jane Beattie, CGC CS Rep.  She investigated and had the credit applied to my account.  She was great and to be honest, I cannot of one time I have received bad customer service from CGC. 

This does seem to be a problem (or perhaps a strategy  hm ).  You have to request the credit and it sometimes takes two or three requests.  Since I only had one comic go down in grade on this last submission, I'm not even going to bother.

34 minutes ago, walclark said:

This does seem to be a problem (or perhaps a strategy  hm ).  You have to request the credit and it sometimes takes two or three requests.  Since I only had one comic go down in grade on this last submission, I'm not even going to bother.

I admit I have had a problem with some credits being posted to my account in the past.  Normally for me anyway, it has been resolved without much effort other than the hassle of calling and explaining what has happened.  

To be honest what surprised me the most was how many went down.  I had one PGX that went down ( shoot - just glad no hidden restoration or missing pages).  The others were all CBCS.  

2 minutes ago, telerites said:

I admit I have had a problem with some credits being posted to my account in the past.  Normally for me anyway, it has been resolved without much effort other than the hassle of calling and explaining what has happened.  

To be honest what surprised me the most was how many went down.  I had one PGX that went down ( shoot - just glad no hidden restoration or missing pages).  The others were all CBCS.  

My results have been fairly consistent.  Admittedly, they were all low to mid grade GA books and that's an area where one man's 4.5 is another's 5.0 and so on.  Overall, no complaints.  A few went up, a few went down, most stayed the same.  PQ changes were similarly a mixed bag of ups, downs, no changes.

Just got the grades from my second crossover batch. Note, I fully expected the PGX comic to go down in grade. However, it's still shocking to see how far off they were on the grade.

Thor #133 PGX 9.2 OW/W -----> CGC 7.5 C/OW

X-Men #62 CBCS 9.0 W -----> CGC 8.5 OW/W

Strange Tales #178 CBCS 9.0 W ----> CGC 9.2 W

Strange Tales #169 CBCS 9.0 OW/W ----> CGC 8.5 OW/W

Eternals #1 CBCS 9.4 W ----> CGC 9.4 W

Eternals #3 CBCS 9.6 W ----> CGC 9.6 W

Received the grades on my final crossover batch from the Crossover Special in January. All books had been ones I originally submitted to CBCS during its first few months after opening. I decided to have them switched to CGC and pressed this time. I had to laugh at the Usagi Yojimbo 10 update. My eyes about popped at the Swamp Thing 37 change!

Usagi Yojimbo 10:  9.6 1st printing ---> 9.8 2nd printing  :eyeroll: xD

G.I. Joe 1:  9.0 OW/W ---> 9.2 OW

Demon Annual 2:  9.4 ---> 9.8

Saga of Swamp Thing 37:  6.5 ---> 9.8  :whatthe: :whatthe: :whatthe:

Marvel Team-Up 14 (2006):  9.6 ---> 9.8

I, Zombie 1:  9.6 ---> 9.8

Incredible Hulk 271:  9.2 OW/W ---> 9.6 W

Edited by Legion HQ

I don't see the Crossover service listed on the CGC site but have a CBCS graded comic I am considering submitting for the service.

Question - I don't normally buy any graded comics other than CGC and I notice with this CBCS slab that when I gently tilt it from left to right the comic slides back and forth, from side to side, inside the case. Seems like a recipe for disaster to me and I am seriously considering cracking the case open myself before submitting the comic just to protect it during transit. Are all their graded comics like this? (shrug)

Received my 1st crossover book back

Hulk #1  PGX 1.5

to

Hulk #1 CGC 0.5 (Universal, blue label, whew!)

Happy I got a blue label, kinda expected a grade drop.  I don't know how the book managed a 1.5 before, but was hoping for 1.0.  oh well.  Book is complete, that was the other thing I was worried about.

1 hour ago, Zordar said:

Received my 1st crossover book back

Hulk #1  PGX 1.5

to

Hulk #1 CGC 0.5 (Universal, blue label, whew!)

Happy I got a blue label, kinda expected a grade drop.  I don't know how the book managed a 1.5 before, but was hoping for 1.0.  oh well.  Book is complete, that was the other thing I was worried about.

Congrats and condolences.