• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"CGC crossover special!!" Get 50%off for cgc to grade other companies slabs
7 7

223 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, Cushing Fan said:
44 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

Is CGC still offering a cross grading service? It's a bit unclear from reading people's posts, but it seems that the answer is yes?

The CGC Crossover regrade is still an option though I believe the $10 promotion if your book drops a grade is no longer in effect.

And also there is no prescreen, meaning that cgc doesn't eye it through the slab to see if it is a pressing candidate. Also... I think it is disconted regardless of grade change, meaning to change it into a cgc slab it is discounted, but they have to see it in competitors case first and then you might not "know" to press...

On 4/2/2019 at 2:02 PM, comicdiablo said:

The CGC Crossover Regrade option is a big part of the reason I decided to become a paid member for the first time as of today. I would like to use this option to get several of my PGX-graded comics regraded by CGC.

Awesome! I hope it works out for you!! :whee: 

And I'm finally done. Sometime ago I jumped on the CBCS bandwagon I won't go into details why but I did. Some of the directions as a company they are going down I no longer wanted to follow with, to the point i wanted all CBCS slabs out of my collection. Well this was the last batch of slabs I had at home and they are done :banana:except for the wasted grading fees and the shipping to and from CBCS it all worked out fine i guess. I was happy with the end results from CGC. The ones that dropped a grade was no surprise and the ones that went up were a small gift to cover some of the funds I had spent so unwisely with CBCS. I hope CBCS can somehow workout what they need to workout and stay in business. But it will not be with my money. This group was all CBCS 9.8's and only one fell to a 9.6 needless to say it was the one I probably knew that would but I hoped the most it didn't meh So i'm done with all my crossovers I hope everyone can have as good of results moving forward as I felt I did and good luck to all of you that are rolling the crossover dice.

Capture.JPG

I received my first batch of old PGX books back.  I did okay, nothing went down, but I probably would have done a whole lot better if I would have not been cheap and had them screened for pressing first.  Some looked very nice and a press would have helped almost all of them.  All in all out of 15 books 9 went up in grade and 6 stayed the same.  I was still hoping for a little better as some of my old PGX books jumped from 8.5s and 9.0s years ago to 9.4 and 9.6s. 

The old PGX grade is in bold.

Avengers 100 6/72 Marvel Comics
Universal
8.0 WHITE
PGX GRADE 8.0

Hawkman 24 2-3/68 D.C. Comics
Universal
8.5 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
PGX GRADE 8.0

Thor 158 11/68 Marvel Comics
Universal
9.0 WHITE
PGX GRADE 8.5

Thor 149 2/68 Marvel Comics
Universal
9.0 CREAM TO OFF-WHITE
PGX GRADE 8.5

Avengers 22 11/65 Marvel Comics
Universal
8.5 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
PGX GRADE 8.5

Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. 8 1/69 Marvel Comics
Universal
9.0 WHITE
PGX GRADE 9.0

X-Men 72 10/71 Marvel Comics
Universal
9.0 WHITE
PGX GRADE 9.0

Silver Surfer 17 6/70 Marvel Comics
Universal
8.5 OFF-WHITE
PGX GRADE 7.5

Black Cat Mystery Comics 31 10/51 Harvey Publications
Universal
8.5 CREAM TO OFF-WHITE
PGX GRADE 8.0

X-Men 56 5/69 Marvel Comics
Universal
8.5 WHITE
PGX GRADE 8.0

Avengers 28 5/66 Marvel Comics
Universal
8.5 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
PGX GRADE 8.5

Daredevil 33 10/67 Marvel Comics
Universal
9.4 WHITE
PGX GRADE 9.0

House of Secrets 77 3-4/66 D.C. Comics
Universal
9.0 WHITE
PGX GRADE 8.5

Amazing Spider-Man 67 12/68 Marvel Comics
Universal
8.5 WHITE
PGX GRADE 8.5

Wonder Woman 198 1-2/72 D.C. Comics
Universal
9.0 WHITE
PGX GRADE 8.5

Edited by toro

On 4/15/2019 at 8:04 PM, toro said:

I received my first batch of old PGX books back.  I did okay, nothing went down, but I probably would have done a whole lot better if I would have not been cheap and had them screened for pressing first.  Some looked very nice and a press would have helped almost all of them.  All in all out of 15 books 9 went up in grade and 6 stayed the same.  I was still hoping for a little better as some of my old PGX books jumped from 8.5s and 9.0s years ago to 9.4 and 9.6s. 

The old PGX grade is in bold.

Avengers 100 6/72 Marvel Comics
Universal
8.0 WHITE
PGX GRADE 8.0

Hawkman 24 2-3/68 D.C. Comics
Universal
8.5 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
PGX GRADE 8.0

Thor 158 11/68 Marvel Comics
Universal
9.0 WHITE
PGX GRADE 8.5

Thor 149 2/68 Marvel Comics
Universal
9.0 CREAM TO OFF-WHITE
PGX GRADE 8.5

Avengers 22 11/65 Marvel Comics
Universal
8.5 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
PGX GRADE 8.5

Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. 8 1/69 Marvel Comics
Universal
9.0 WHITE
PGX GRADE 9.0

X-Men 72 10/71 Marvel Comics
Universal
9.0 WHITE
PGX GRADE 9.0

Silver Surfer 17 6/70 Marvel Comics
Universal
8.5 OFF-WHITE
PGX GRADE 7.5

Black Cat Mystery Comics 31 10/51 Harvey Publications
Universal
8.5 CREAM TO OFF-WHITE
PGX GRADE 8.0

X-Men 56 5/69 Marvel Comics
Universal
8.5 WHITE
PGX GRADE 8.0

Avengers 28 5/66 Marvel Comics
Universal
8.5 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
PGX GRADE 8.5

Daredevil 33 10/67 Marvel Comics
Universal
9.4 WHITE
PGX GRADE 9.0

House of Secrets 77 3-4/66 D.C. Comics
Universal
9.0 WHITE
PGX GRADE 8.5

Amazing Spider-Man 67 12/68 Marvel Comics
Universal
8.5 WHITE
PGX GRADE 8.5

Wonder Woman 198 1-2/72 D.C. Comics
Universal
9.0 WHITE
PGX GRADE 8.5

I'm surprised at how tight PGX grading was.  Either that or how loose CGC grading is now.  Either way, congrats on the bumps in grades.

Way back in the day I gave PGX a shot and they all came back with 8.0 to 9.0s when I thought they should have been higher.  I called Daniel and he said that CGC was to loose in their grading and he purposely was grading very strict.    All of those books were from that time frame.  Seeing most of these now in the CGC holder I can see why they didn't grade as high as some of the other books I had regraded years ago.   I couldn't see the problems in the PGX holder.   Still wish I had them all pressed first.     :tonofbricks:

PGX was always horrible on mid grade so most of those resubs to CGC will probably come back lower.

On 10/3/2018 at 3:29 PM, drotto said:

Does CGC sense blood in the water for the longe term survival of the other grading companies?  Is this just a really interesting new tactic?  Should I run around NYCC tomorrow grabbing CBCS slabs for hopefully a lower price then using this new service?

This strikes me as the act of a desperate company. Charging customers twice as much to submit a raw book than one from their rivals. Collector A stuck with cgc all along and gets to pay full price on his submissions but Collector B who showed no loyalty and jumped ship is welcomed back with 50% off.

The sheeple cheer and ask  for another one.

On 4/19/2019 at 11:04 AM, ExNihilo said:

I'm surprised at how tight PGX grading was.  Either that or how loose CGC grading is now.  Either way, congrats on the bumps in grades.

I find PGX grading to be as tight or tighter on most books. The problem is their restoration check is non existent and their very shady relationship with Danny Patterson. On the honesty scale, PGX ranks just above the disgraced, disbarred chap CGC keeps allowing to advertise on this site.

On 4/20/2019 at 1:46 PM, shadroch said:

This strikes me as the act of a desperate company. Charging customers twice as much to submit a raw book than one from their rivals. Collector A stuck with cgc all along and gets to pay full price on his submissions but Collector B who showed no loyalty and jumped ship is welcomed back with 50% off.

The sheeple cheer and ask  for another one.

We are like the prodigal sons coming home.  :insane: 

I only did a couple of submissions directly with them years ago.  Any after that was all CGC. 

Edited by toro

My last batch of PGX books are also now in "Grading / Quality Control" status.    I expect at least one to go down in this group, hopefully not a drastic drop, but I think it will drop.

Edited by toro

On 4/19/2019 at 1:39 PM, toro said:

Way back in the day I gave PGX a shot and they all came back with 8.0 to 9.0s when I thought they should have been higher. 

That's the problem with PGX.  If you're the submitter, then you know what books you sent.  You aren't surprised by what's in the slab.

If you're the buyer of someone else's submissions, you don't know if they're legit books or from the obvious situations where PGX put lower grade (or restored) books in higher grade holders.

As a (potential) PGX buyer, you might as well ignore the grades and assume the book is raw with restoration... there's no way to buy confidently if you don't know who submitted to PGX.

Part of me wonders if the "grade bumps" are to help future business and ensure they receive any and all comics. Because at the end of the day, I feel I could argue over 0.5 of a grade with most anyone. They see a 6.5, I see a solid 6.0. 

It is why I love CGC stuff but personally am hesitant to send many things their way. Although some of the LB Cole stuff I have acquired lately has me wanting them preserved behind that lovely blue plastic :)

Got the grades for my 3rd submission before I go the second ones.  Of 7 books only one went up.   Felt 6 of the books should have gone higher, but the surprise was the FF #48 staying the same.  I felt that was a 4.5 to a 5.0 at best, didn't think it would hold it's grade.

Star Spangled War Stories 131 2-3/67 D.C. Comics
Universal
8.0 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
PGX 8.0

Our Army at War 203 2-3/69 D.C. Comics
Universal
8.5 WHITE
PGX 8.5

Star Spangled War Stories 141 10-11/68 D.C. Comics
Universal
9.2 WHITE
PGX 9.2

Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. 1 6/68 Marvel Comics
Universal
9.2 WHITE
PGX 9.2

Fantastic Four 48 3/66 Marvel Comics
Universal
6.0 OFF-WHITE
PGX 6.0

Tales of Suspense 86 2/67 Marvel Comics
Universal
9.0 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
PGX 8.5

Tales of Suspense 71 11/65 Marvel Comics
Universal
8.5 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
PGX 8.5

So my last group just finished grading this morning.  Not as successful with this group.

One book stayed the same.  Two went up marginally and 3 dropped marginally.

So for my 3 PGX submissions 12 went up, 13 stayed the same and 3 dropped.  Not bad, was hoping for better.  Next time I'll have them pressed.  Although one of the books had a note about an "odor".  Since I purchased them online already in a PGX holder I didn't know the book stunk, just thought it was only the company.  :insane:

Tales of the Unexpected 97 10-11/66 D.C. Comics
Universal
9.0 WHITE
PGX GRADE 9.0

Fantastic Four 70 1/68 Marvel Comics
Universal
9.0 WHITE
PGX GRADE 8.5

Thor 154 7/68 Marvel Comics
Universal
8.0 WHITE
PGX GRADE 8.5 :cry: