• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you want in a Podcast

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

new podcast in the works. I was curious was like minded people in the comic community would want from a comic book podcast. Any segments, ideas or anything feel free to shot them this way! Also things you hate that podcasts or comic book podcasts do! 

Thanks!

18 hours ago, Lucas_Trent said:

Hey guys!

new podcast in the works. I was curious was like minded people in the comic community would want from a comic book podcast. Any segments, ideas or anything feel free to shot them this way! Also things you hate that podcasts or comic book podcasts do! 

Thanks!

Honest, reliable, accurate information. A little history about the artist and characters. When giving an opinion,  say it IS your opinion. 

State market trends as trends, not speculation. Bring your emotion and passion, and above all else have fun. 

Dave and Chuck The Freak is the only Podcast that I listen to lmfao.

If I were to listen to a comic book Podcast, I would be interested in these:

- "Reactions" to comic book movie trailers and films. Speculation on the movies (after trailers). Maybe verbal responses to emails about said trailers and movies.

- p00p on The Last Jedi often.

- "New Releases This Week". I honestly have no idea what the distribution schedule is for comic books. I know that most are monthly. A lot of bi-weekly. Are they all delivered on Mondays? It would be really cool if you could list them off. This may be a reach depending on how many comics are currently being produced...

- "Milestone Comics Released This Month ____". "Superman XXX with the first appearance of Zod" (I should probably know this one...). Talk about the historical importance of the comic, the story, how it impacted the series and long-term relation to the titular character.

- Upcoming comics that seem important. Like Superman: Year One. A future first appearance, or climax to an ongoing story, or finale to a small run (like Man of Steel Vol. 2 #6).

I'm a n00b so this may all be uninteresting to a lot of people...

9 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Dave and Chuck The Freak is the only Podcast that I listen to lmfao.

If I were to listen to a comic book Podcast, I would be interested in these:

- "Reactions" to comic book movie trailers and films. Speculation on the movies (after trailers). Maybe verbal responses to emails about said trailers and movies.

- p00p on The Last Jedi often.

- "New Releases This Week". I honestly have no idea what the distribution schedule is for comic books. I know that most are monthly. A lot of bi-weekly. Are they all delivered on Mondays? It would be really cool if you could list them off. This may be a reach depending on how many comics are currently being produced...

- "Milestone Comics Released This Month ____". "Superman XXX with the first appearance of Zod" (I should probably know this one...). Talk about the historical importance of the comic, the story, how it impacted the series and long-term relation to the titular character.

- Upcoming comics that seem important. Like Superman: Year One. A future first appearance, or climax to an ongoing story, or finale to a small run (like Man of Steel Vol. 2 #6).

I'm a n00b so this may all be uninteresting to a lot of people...

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I agree all these points! (Except the last Jedi...I kind of enjoyed it! Lol!). I do plan on having reviews/ a monthly stand out mentions of comics that month. Also new comics are released on Wednesday’s every week ☺️

9 hours ago, The Brain said:

Honest, reliable, accurate information. A little history about the artist and characters. When giving an opinion,  say it IS your opinion. 

State market trends as trends, not speculation. Bring your emotion and passion, and above all else have fun. 

Thank you for replying! 

I have an idea to do some episodes like “Current and best artists/writers” this might be a reaccuring one but I plan on most of it being a discussion about that idea. 

I also plan on talking about the fan bases...the two big ones especially (Marvel and DC) and the issues they cause and solve

9 hours ago, Lucas_Trent said:

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I agree all these points! (Except the last Jedi...I kind of enjoyed it! Lol!). I do plan on having reviews/ a monthly stand out mentions of comics that month. Also new comics are released on Wednesday’s every week ☺️

Threw it in there as a joke because I hate it lol.

This is also news to me, so thanks!

On 10/3/2018 at 7:26 PM, Lucas_Trent said:

Hey guys!

Thanks!

Deep thought provoking podcasts talking about famous comic book runs and also keys. 

At least 2 hours. No commercials in the middle. I can't stand podcasts that feel rushed because they have to go to commercial interupting good thoughts. I would also look into having rotatating different guests. It is always more interesting to hear two people go back and forth discussing things than some guy reading news off of CBR or Bleeding Cool.

The perfect model for a podcast would be to watch a few of Joe Rogan's podcasts. He has over 3.6 million subscribers and most of his podcasts are usually more interesting than what we watch on network TV.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Deep thought provoking podcasts talking about famous comic book runs and also keys. 

At least 2 hours. No commercials in the middle. I can't stand podcasts that feel rushed because they have to go to commercial interupting good thoughts. I would also look into having rotatating different guests. It is always more interesting to hear two people go back and forth discussing things than some guy reading news off of CBR or Bleeding Cool.

This is pretty much what I try to do on my podcast. Whether or not it's actually thought provoking, I can't promise! But I have a different guest for each topic - usually a specific run, series, or even individual issue - where we try to go in depth with discussions about the creative team, the behind the scenes decisions that led to stories going one way or the other, market stuff, and of course the stories themselves. No ads. I try to keep each episode to between 45-75 minutes, but that's just for ease of listening - when conversations go longer, I just cut them up into multiple episodes. Many of the discussions go 2 episodes, or even 3 or 4 on rare occasions. So far we've done stuff like Steve Englehart's Captain America run, Cap's Kooky Quartet, First Issue Special, Fantastic Four #1, etc. I start with a brief interview of the guest about the reading and collecting history and tastes, so the listener has an idea where they are coming from, then we just talk until someone passes out. 

Hopefully it's interesting! I started doing it because it was the kind of podcast I wanted to listen to, but couldn't find. So I decided to record it myself so I would have a podcast to listen to!

That would be my main advice: do what you would want to listen to, not what you think someone else might want to listen to. You never know how many people are going to listen either way, but if you do something you like, you'll enjoy it a lot more. I mean, I did three hours on Mark Evanier's Blackhawk run — trust me, that was not because I thought it would go viral. But they were probably the most fun I've had yet. 

Here's my podcast if you want to see what I have been trying with it:  https://classiccomics.podbean.com/

I came into podcasting a complete noob, and one thing I have learned, as ComicConnoisseur suggests, is that sound quality can be really tricky. On some of my early episodes, my mic volume was not as high as my guest's. Some of it I could fix in editing, but that's much more time consuming than getting it right to begin with. There are a couple episodes where my voice is still a bit too soft in areas. 

The other thing is, unless your guest is with you in a controlled environment - where you both have real mics - you're kind of at the whim of the guest's sound quality. I interview guests from all over the country, plus some in Europe and Canada, and if we have a bad connection or they have a poor mic, there's not a ton that can be done about it. Even if your mic and sound quality are perfect, someone with a crappy mic or a washing machine running in the background can be pretty frustrating. 

In the ‘hate’ category - I don’t spend time listening to podcast where a significant amount of time is everyone laughing at inside jokes. The best podcasts have a good conductor to keep the conversations moving along and minimal time spent on the silly stuff. That being said, if the guest (or story) is good or compelling, then its sometimes best to let it ride. 

At any rate, good luck; I'm always interested in searching out new comics podcasts (thumbsu