• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Etiquette for buying multiple copies of a hot book at LCS?

19 posts in this topic

So, that Deadpool #5 came out today, with the amazing Garbage Pail Kids homage cover.

It's already going for ~$20 on eBay, and my LCS had 9 copies.

How many would you buy? Is it a move to buy all of a single book that is in stock?

I couldn't make it there, but my brother picked me up 3 copies, he said he "didn't want to be that guy" and take them all.

Discuss :)

dpgpk.jpg

You could look at it a couple of different ways...everyone that really wanted it already had it in their pull, so the rest are up for grabs. Or, there may be a few people that walk in weekly that wanted it, not knowing about the cover, and now they don't get it because you picked them clean. It technically wouldn't be wrong to grab 20 copies (if the store doesn't have a max policy), but do you really want to be that guy? At the very least, leave a handful of copies. JMO. I know there are people on these boards that bought out Wal-Marts supplies a few months ago when they started carrying those DC giant size comics. Anyways, do what your comfortable with. My store still had the Batman's Wang book a couple of weeks ago a few days after it came out & was already going for silly money on FeeBay. I passed just because I don't care. I'm sure someone probably came in & bought them out though. At least it wasn't on day one. (shrug)

I personally can't speak to this because my LCS is very small and only orders 5-10 books of most comics. I was hoping they had Batman: Damned (looked for it on Monday) when I learned their stocking habits. I don't resell, either, but I know that I would be severely disappointed if I couldn't buy the latest Action/Detective/Superman/Batman because 1 guy grabbed them all.

If I was a re-seller, and an LCS had 9 copies of a cover that would sell well, I would probably grab 4-5 if I can. I just empathize for other collectors and readers. It's really uncool to grab all copies.

I would always take about 1/2. I get paid for stating on top of trends in the comic world, and I leave some behind for everyone else.  But that is only for books on the stands. Back issues I would take them all and leave only one - so that when the guiy behind the desk asked if I had taken them all, I could say "No" without lying.

I would ask the shop owner what he would prefer. I also wouldn't buy them all on the first day of release. If you go back today or tomorrow all copies still there are fair game.

On 10/4/2018 at 12:19 AM, shadroch said:

That's on the shop owner. Buy as much as he will sell. If he doesn't care, why should you?

I think the shop owner often doesn't know what's happening until they are sold out. Sometimes, if they find out in time, my LCS will set a limit or raise the price. In any case, I would only take a single copy for my personal collection and hope most others do the same. 

On 10/4/2018 at 9:01 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Read this thread and feel like I took a time machine back to the 90's, did not know people still did this.

As Yogi said...This is "dejavu" all over again.

Amen brother, strange times indeed.  My LCS owner is really cool.   If he starts to see some 'odd' buying activity, he pulls some off the shelf to make sure his regulars don't get shut out, and limits what others can buy.   It happened with the Batman #24 'engagement' issue.   Looks like people on ebay are still trying to ride that dead horse .  

My local shop still had a huge stack of these issues today and Deadpool is still quite popular around here. There are definitely two sides to this coin in that shop owners prefer to sell out or at least move a large majority of their orders right ? That's what they are in business for. Owners also need to be able to provide customer service / have products that people want. My local shop does an amazing job of taking care of their customers who forget to preorder or ask for a book after its release.

3 hours ago, jaeldubyoo said:

Depends on your needs. If you're a collector, one will suffice for your collection. Or maybe another one if you're picking up for somebody else. If you're a speculator, flipper, and /or dealer you'll probably take them all.

Today, everyone is a potential flipper. As a collector, I still would desire the extra copies to flip, but I just don't think it's the right thing to do. Maybe my moral compass is wound too tight but taking the stack is an act of greed.

Good feedback, thanks!

I'm fine with 3 copies, and did not go back for more. Was just seeing how it is these days with the collecting knob turned to 11.

I did buy a fast-track 9.8 slab on eBay as well, GPK was a huge part of my childhood, I have a lot of memories about trading them with my friends in grade school, playing football in the yard on warm fall days and my dad surprising me with a few packs, etc :)

It is a hard call. Buying too many may set off alarm bells and shut the whole purchase down if they decide to check the book out. But things are gone quick. 2 weeks ago I ran to the lcs to buy the deathsteoke and wonder woman variants. Only 1 ww variant was left. 10 of the deadpools.this was like 1:30. When I ran back at 3:30 after learning the deadpool cover was hot they were all gone. Moral of the story.. If you don't grab them someone else will.

Edited by the blob

If you want to be a dink, buy them all. 

It is up to the store owner to limit copies. If they are for sale, they are for sale.

That doesn't mean you won't be a dink...but, if they're for sale, they're for sale. You're not doing anything remotely immoral or unethical if you do. It's a little rude, but again...that's not your problem.

8 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

If you want to be a dink, buy them all. 

It is up to the store owner to limit copies. If they are for sale, they are for sale.

That doesn't mean you won't be a dink...but, if they're for sale, they're for sale. You're not doing anything remotely immoral or unethical if you do. It's a little rude, but again...that's not your problem.

Pretty much.  If a shop wants to limit copies, they can.  If they don’t limit them, and they’re on the rack then it’s fair game.

2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Pretty much.  If a shop wants to limit copies, they can.  If they don’t limit them, and they’re on the rack then it’s fair game.

This. Shops want to sell what they have ordered. My LCS is run by a good guy and if he wants to make sure books are spread around he simply doesnt put all of his copies out. He will put out some, then when those sell out he will restock.