• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star wars missing print plate?

28 posts in this topic

I have a star wars #1 that looks like it had a color missed in printing. 

I've taken it to several comic book shops and I get two responses. Half say it's faded and the other half say it is a misprint. I brought it to a printing company to have them look at it and they said it was missing the magenta printing plate when printed. I brought it to a second printing company, a large one outside Charlotte and they too said it was missing a printing plate when printed. They looked at the print under a magnifying glass/light on a computer and said it's missing magenta.

Then they got into the other colors and how missing magenta makes the other colors not complete either.

That fading would have faded other colors too. They are as vivid as the original colors on the full color copy.

In the light saber it is almost clear because nearly nothing was ever printed in it's place... 

All above my pay grade but I take the opinions of these people to be legit. 

At a glance it looks like it could be faded but when you really look at the color that's missing and the area that didn't get print you can see the paper never actually had color on it. 

Has anyone ever seen one like this before?

I can send as many pictures as anyone needs if they have an opinion on it.

15386194877301641443707.jpg

Edited by Bobross
Spoke to my printer connection

3 hours ago, Pontoon said:

What Blowie says. Post a picture of the back cover.

From here it looks like a typical sun fade. Every color is faded; red is the first to go and blue the last.

Yep.  

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

I agree. , although absence of color on the back isn't definitive. You can deliberately do that to a book by leaving it open.

True. But sun fades are easy to spot in my experience. I've owned many error books. An actual colour absence / error stands out a mile. This Star Wars book is sun faded. 

I'm new to this so I can only take your opinions as you know what you're talking about. 

I did take this to two printers and they both said it is missing the color all together. I wish I had a trained eye closer to me to have it looked at. 

They even went into detail about cyan color and what it looks like when missing magenta. They had such a detailed explanation. But then again they were holding it and examining it.

Well if anyone is ever in the Charlotte area let me know. I'd love an expert to look at this. 

15 minutes ago, Bobross said:

I'm new to this so I can only take your opinions as you know what you're talking about. 

Post pictures of the back cover.  It will most likely clear things up.

I'll post it in the morning for sure.

I'll say I did bring that up to the printers I went to. The back isn't faded like the front. They said each side could be run one at a time. The white fold section would mean two different plates were used to print each side and not one large plate for the entire thing. 

I mean the guy used a magnifying glass with a light hooked up to his computer when he was showing me the missing color. As to say it wasn't faded but completely void of color.

Of course I want it to be a misprint but in the end I just don't know what to do. 

The comic bookstore I went to glanced at it and said it was faded. When I went to a professional printer he took the time to look at it professionally so to speak and came up with a completely different opinion. I wish I had someone who had the tools to look at it the way this printer did. He was very convincing. Not to mention I've had a much larger printing company from Charlotte look at it. They do printing from Canada to China. They have the same conclusion that it was missing a complete magenta plate. 

The details you could see when scanned by his computer were so compelling. 

If I sent it in to cgc do you think they would use the same scrutiny this printing company did? Or would they also just glanced at it and say yep it's faded and drop it. 

I wish I could be sure that the same scrutiny this printer used to determine the missing color was being used at cgc.

3 hours ago, Timmay said:

Faded.

Yes.

As surely as the correct answer to the question "who played Ann Darrow in 1933" is.

On 10/4/2018 at 11:50 PM, Bobross said:

I'll post it in the morning for sure.

I'll say I did bring that up to the printers I went to. The back isn't faded like the front. They said each side could be run one at a time. The white fold section would mean two different plates were used to print each side and not one large plate for the entire thing. 

First, you said you took it to two comic shops, then to two printers. If you took it to two printers and they told you each side could be run at one time, the only printing they must do is on their first grade homework. The cover is a single sheet of paper; front and back cover (right and left side of the sheet) are printed at the same time.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

@Bobross

This is what a printing error looks like.

Front and back of a normal edition:

174mji.thumb.jpg.6986a9f4ffe13a3cd81a01015b2e3798.jpg 174mjib.thumb.jpg.38536d0dacee0cec842eec9b7551ad7a.jpg 

Front and back of a copy with 'issues'. You can see the issues exist front and back.

1971927487_174pe(2).thumb.jpg.3e90485c5949c40a06c170e5198293b5.jpg  174peb.thumb.jpg.b3aae1096bdd179f142e76c5e56f44fb.jpg

Do us all a favour and post the back of your Star Wars book, eh? 

4 minutes ago, Timmay said:

Our posts hit together Timmay - I can see the back cover picture in the listing and it looks normal. So it's a sun fade copy.

No marks for the King Kong pun then?

9 minutes ago, jaeldubyoo said:

:idea:  What if I fade the entire cover (both the front and back) together? :flipbait:

hm

Leave it long enough and it can double as a convention sketch variant.