• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jay Anacleto Appreciation Thread
1 1

105 posts in this topic

So I was updating my signature line and  afterwords, did a search to see if there's a specific thread to him and, amazingly, there isn't. I couldn't find it anyway.

I wish he did more full books but he's far and away my favorite artist. His commissions are one of the highest priced but someday I'll take the plunge when the checkbook allows. :x

Curious what other top artists charge these days.

giphy.gif&key=a82e2ca9bd5d59637c009fa615

Edited by I like pie

Anacleto is one of those "if I'd discovered him at a younger age, he'd be one of my top 3 favorite artists."

As it is, he's certainly in my top 10.

I wish his body of work was bigger, but the stuff he produces is brilliant.

I cannot imagine someone being, say, 17 or 18 in 1999 and stumbling on Aria for the first time.

To the art critic: yes, he does have occasional problems with anatomy, that he (successfully, I think) hides in the softness of his work, but I think his dedication to realism more than makes up for it. His art has a lovely quasi-realistic dreamy quality that, while lacking the absolute photo-realism of, say, Alex Ross, manages to overcome the sometimes awkward angularity that ***just*** borders on the fringe of the "uncanny valley" in Ross' work. Sometimes, Ross' work is a little TOO realistic, while still not being photographic, which can make people feel a twinge of discomfort. Anacleto softens that border up and gives his work a fantasy, dream-like quality that is quite palatable.

24 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I love Jay's grasp of natural anatomy, Just love it. The "flaws" on the women's bodies is just perfection. The torso on Sonja is a touch long, but other than that, they look like real women's bodies. Just lovely.

You think he'll ever attempt drawing full books again? It seems artists can make a great career on just CA now and commissions. Dilbeck quoted my around 3k for a full splash(2 or 3 characters).

5 minutes ago, I like pie said:

You think he'll ever attempt drawing full books again? It seems artists can make a great career on just CA now and commissions. Dilbeck quoted my around 3k for a full splash(2 or 3 characters).

I asked him at SDCC, and he's open to doing an Aria book...but Holguin and Silvestri (?) own the character, so it's up to them.

I would absolutely support such an effort, though. I would absolutely support a Witchblade mini by him, too.

Maybe I'll pester Silvestri about it next time I see him. ;)