• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC will soon tell me how heavily restored this Amazing Fantasy 15 is... EDIT: and the verdict is in... see post...

71 posts in this topic

I bought it almost 20 years ago... really haven't looked at it since until today. I was told it was restored... my guess is one of these three:

1. Completely new cover. After looking at it today, I don't think that's the case, but then again, what I don't know can fill volumes. LOL

If that's the case, I'll get an NR rating... it'll still sell though. One just went for over $5000 on eBay... coverless book with a cover reproduction. That would be the worst.

2. Cover taken from another book, restored, and placed on this one. That means a Qualified label, correct? 

3. Original cover restored. That's what I'm hoping for. My son said, "What if it comes back unrestored?" After I stopped laughing... ;)

Here are some last minute photos before I shipped it... what's your (far more educated) guess as to the outcome? I'm good with whatever... hey, it will look FABULOUS in a CGC holder. :)

842787463_IMG_31681.thumb.JPG.bac9166728e62397d4263a4a8837bf0a.JPG

IMG_3169.JPG

IMG_3170.JPG

Edited by oldrover
update

Those staples look spanking new..

If you had more picture of the inside cover, front and back and some close ups of the centerfold at the staples.

Anyway, good luck and hoping for anything "un-restored". :wishluck:

10 minutes ago, SamPool said:

If you had more picture of the inside cover, front and back and some close ups of the centerfold at the staples.

Anyway, good luck and hoping for anything "un-restored". :wishluck:

Yeah, my fault on the photos. I should have taken more before I shipped it... as it was, I had to extricate it out of two inner hermetically sealed bubble wrappers to get THESE shots.

57 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I bought it almost 20 years ago... really haven't looked at it since until today. I was told it was restored... my guess is one of these three:

1. Completely new cover. After looking at it today, I don't think that's the case, but then again, what I don't know can fill volumes. LOL

If that's the case, I'll get an NR rating... it'll still sell though. One just went for over $5000 on eBay... coverless book with a cover reproduction. That would be the worst.

2. Cover taken from another book, restored, and placed on this one. That means a Qualified label, correct? 

3. Original cover restored. That's what I'm hoping for. My son said, "What if it comes back unrestored?" After I stopped laughing... ;)

Here are some last minute photos before I shipped it... what's your (far more educated) guess as to the outcome? I'm good with whatever... hey, it will look FABULOUS in a CGC holder. :)

IMG_3170.JPG

The cover looks quite promising - front and back -until you see the last shot inside. The exposed top edge looks unlikely to me. Good luck :wishluck:

20 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

The cover looks quite promising - front and back -until you see the last shot inside. The exposed top edge looks unlikely to me. Good luck :wishluck:

Same thoughts I had.  First pic looked original with resto, second pic looked original (wear on spine) but the third pic shows a discernible difference between the aging of the page and cover.

2 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Same thoughts I had.  First pic looked original with resto, second pic looked original (wear on spine) but the third pic shows a discernible difference between the aging of the page and cover.

Back cover looks great doesn't it. 

7 minutes ago, FoomMember said:

Pretty much in agreeance with previous comments here.  Without seeing more of the inside of the cover, I'm going with option #2.  Qualified with some color touch.hm

Good luck with it.  Looks super nice!

When all are usually in a state of common or garden agreement it's nice to see a good old fashioned agreeance offered up for a change :)

1 hour ago, SamPool said:

This, we needed more pics of the inside. Minimally, I think you have a Married cover. Not sure but I think a married cover gets a PLOD, not Qualified ?

53 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

This, we needed more pics of the inside. Minimally, I think you have a Married cover. Not sure but I think a married cover gets a PLOD, not Qualified ?

They can’t give me both, right? That would be like...

2jeuzd.gif

I recently saw a married cover AF15 on eBay with a blue label that said 'conservation' or something along those lines... probably a good in-between of a universal and restored label.  Either way I'd love to get my hands on a copy anywhere near this nice, lol... my budget might get me a coverless one  doh!

couldn't find the eBay link, but here it is in the census..

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx?cgc-comic-cert=1294639001&grader-notes=yes

Edited by Laita

Well, it seems apparent (particularly from the last image) that the cover does not belong to the book. It's oversized, and there are extra staple holes. That said, it is a fairly nice job of marrying the cover to the book. Unfortunately, it is nowhere near perfect.  It even suggests that the cover may be a reproduction of some kind.  However, I ask you this: If the cover is a fake, there would be no reason NOT to trim it to the dimensions of the interior; what if anything would be lost? It's perplexing and the best judgment will be made with the book in hand. I don't think that any additional photos would have made this any easier. Good luck with the outcome, and do report it to us!

-d 

Some other thoughts:

• Why would you take a cover that looks like this from another book?
  • Why would you marry it to the new interior with all of the excess to the top edge?
  • Why not split the overhang between the top and bottom?
  • And if it's a repro-cover, why not trim it?
  • Lastly, why not use vintage staples, which are easily come by?

:whistle:

I see flaws on the front cover (CT resto and a little wear), and I see many creases on the back cover (mostly at the top), but the 3rd photo shows sparkling white perfect corners at the top.

So,..... I'm going to guess that the cover is a reproduction of a restored AF15.  

If my memory serves me, over a decade ago Matt N was making "imperfect" Af15 cover recreations for people with coverless copies.