• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC will soon tell me how heavily restored this Amazing Fantasy 15 is... EDIT: and the verdict is in... see post...

71 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, FoomMember said:

I agree.  I would have said 7.0 / 7.5.  This is an unusual case indeed.hm(shrug)

That's exactly what I thought. Kind of feel like it's getting docked for the heavy restore... which it does anyway with the PLOD. Not complaining... it is what it is. Just sayin'.

Edit: oops... there is a long color breaking crease on the back. That may be the culprit. 

Edited by oldrover

2 hours ago, oldrover said:

Well, the verdict is in...

Amazing Fantasy 15 8/62 Marvel Comics   B-4 6.0 CREAM TO OFF-WHITE Restoration includes: color touch, pieces added, tear seals, cleaned, reinforced, re-glossed.

And here are the grader notes... it's a Frankenbook... I'm not sure if I'd be better off selling it as a repro cover! LOL

IAF15 grader notes.JPG

Did you get the book pressed ? Pebbling is usually a byproduct of a bad press..

51 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Did you get the book pressed ? Pebbling is usually a byproduct of a bad press..

The pebbling cam from being liquid cleaned (water/solvent/who knows). 

2 hours ago, Timmay said:
On 10/8/2018 at 5:09 PM, Transplant said:

I will eat that cover if it's not a reproduction.

:popcorn:

Between the piece fills, the reinforcing, the seals, the regloss and the ct, it's basically a repro cover.  I admit, the reglossing is what threw me here.  But, I'll still eat the damn thing if you want.

18 minutes ago, Transplant said:

The pebbling cam from being liquid cleaned (water/solvent/who knows). 

Between the piece fills, the reinforcing, the seals, the regloss and the ct, it's basically a repro cover.  I admit, the reglossing is what threw me here.  But, I'll still eat the damn thing if you want.

LOL... no thank you... and you're exactly right. Actually, a Frankenbook kind of denotes something monstrous with no value. I may refer to this kind of book from now on as a Robo-book. Robocop was human... kind of. And this is an original cover... kind of. And overall, it's an improvement... kind of. ;)

I would have put money on it being a reproduction cover with the BRIGHT white sticking up from the top interior photo.  Congratulations on it being "authentic".

First off if anyone is going to eat the cover please get it on video. This is such a strange scenario. Don't know whether to be happy or sad. To think this whole deal started decades ago and was a mystery up until now. Still a great book to have in any shape IMO.  :)

On 10/11/2018 at 12:53 PM, Transplant said:

the reglossing is what threw me here

I don't know why CGC feels compelled to use the term "re-glossing". The book was never "glossed" in the first place. The gloss comes from passing a cover stock with a high clay content between rollers. This produces a shiny hard surface that, when printed on, keeps the inks crisp as opposed to being absorbed like newspring interiors. . CGC saying "re-glossed" perpetuates the myth that somehow a gloss is added to the surface of the cover in original manufacture.They should start saying something like "gloss spray added to cover". 

1 hour ago, PovertyRow said:

I don't know why CGC feels compelled to use the term "re-glossing". The book was never "glossed" in the first place. The gloss comes from passing a cover stock with a high clay content between rollers. This produces a shiny hard surface that, when printed on, keeps the inks crisp as opposed to being absorbed like newspring interiors. . CGC saying "re-glossed" perpetuates the myth that somehow a gloss is added to the surface of the cover in original manufacture.They should start saying something like "gloss spray added to cover". 

"Re-surfaced"?  "Laminated with paint"? "Varnished"? "Shellacked"!  I like that....

On 10/11/2018 at 9:57 AM, oldrover said:

Well, the verdict is in...

Amazing Fantasy 15 8/62 Marvel Comics   B-4 6.0 CREAM TO OFF-WHITE Restoration includes: color touch, pieces added, tear seals, cleaned, reinforced, re-glossed.

And here are the grader notes... it's a Frankenbook... I'm not sure if I'd be better off selling it as a repro cover! LOL

IAF15 grader notes.JPG

That sounds like FFB's restored copy that we broke out of the case one night (many years ago) and were amazed at how much work had been done on it.  If we didn't coin "Frankenbook" that night, it certainly was one of the earliest uses of the term. lol

The upside is that CGC has probably seen this exact book at least a couple of times before this recent grading. :grin:

Hey @povertyrow Michael :hi: were you there that night? or was it just Scott, Jimbo, me and Jeff? Boy those were the good old days.:preach:

Edited by divad