• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC will soon tell me how heavily restored this Amazing Fantasy 15 is... EDIT: and the verdict is in... see post...

71 posts in this topic

On 10/19/2018 at 7:40 PM, MastrCntrlProgram said:

Reglossing can simply mean that the natural gloss has been restored to the cover using the original glossing material, gelatin or methylcellulose, both are used for sealing in color touch, and replacing what is lost during the wash process.

CGC wont label what you are speaking of as "re glossed", those are natural occurring elements found in paper and comics.  It's the thick, fixative, harmful sprays/lacquers that CGC pegs as re glossed.

On 10/11/2018 at 5:20 PM, Yorick said:

I would have put money on it being a reproduction cover with the BRIGHT white sticking up from the top interior photo.  Congratulations on it being "authentic".

Note to self, don't give out resto advice based on a few photos!

Doh!

Question for veteran CGC'ers:

I believe I erred in just submitting this without pre-screening... in your experience with CGC, if they pressed this to remove the pebbling, would that increase the grade enough to make it worthwhile? While I am generally resigned to the fate of this comic, I do think this grade is low. I'm surprised it was below a 7.0.  

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:07 AM, oldrover said:

Question for veteran CGC'ers:

I believe I erred in just submitting this without pre-screening... in your experience with CGC, if they pressed this to remove the pebbling, would that increase the grade enough to make it worthwhile? While I am generally resigned to the fate of this comic, I do think this grade is low. I'm surprised it was below a 7.0.  

I think you did the right thing. From what I can see, the main reason it received a 6.0 is the color-breaking creasing on the back cover.

Even if the grade isn't as high as you expected, this is still a very attractive copy with great eye appeal. This is what I like to call a "high-quality" problem. In other words, it's not a problem at all... :foryou:

Edited by The Lions Den

37 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I think you did the right thing. From what I can see, the main reason it received a 6.0 is the color-breaking creasing on the back cover.

Even if the grade isn't as high as you expected, this is still a very attractive copy with great eye appeal. This is what I like to call a "high-quality" problem. In other words, it's not a problem at all... :foryou:

I agree. My nephew calls this kind of thing a "first world problem." LOL Thanks! :)

On 10/15/2018 at 10:06 PM, divad said:

Hey @povertyrow Michael :hi: were you there that night? or was it just Scott, Jimbo, me and Jeff? Boy those were the good old days.:preach:

Hey Divad. I fear I missed that one! Sounds like a fascinating time. (thumbsu

On 10/21/2018 at 2:35 PM, Ze-man said:

CGC wont label what you are speaking of as "re glossed", those are natural occurring elements found in paper and comics.  It's the thick, fixative, harmful sprays/lacquers that CGC pegs as re glossed.

Maybe this is true now, but this has not been my experience in the past. 

On 10/28/2018 at 7:49 PM, MastrCntrlProgram said:

Maybe this is true now, but this has not been my experience in the past. 

It can of course happen if you put on anything "too thickly"   It can be the thickness of whatever is applied, as much as what's applied.

If a book looks, feels too thickly glossed in hand it'll typically get pegged as re glossed.