• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC will soon tell me how heavily restored this Amazing Fantasy 15 is... EDIT: and the verdict is in... see post...

71 posts in this topic

On 10/4/2018 at 3:08 PM, SamPool said:

Those staples look spanking new.

Agreed.  Without being able to see the book in hand, I'd say it might have a married cover and new staples.

On 10/4/2018 at 4:53 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

This, we needed more pics of the inside. Minimally, I think you have a Married cover. Not sure but I think a married cover gets a PLOD, not Qualified ?

If nothing else were done to a book, a married cover can get a green label.  If those staples aren't original, or the cover was trimmed or color touched or glued, a PLOD it will be.

2 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I see flaws on the front cover (CT resto and a little wear), and I see many creases on the back cover (mostly at the top), but the 3rd photo shows sparkling white perfect corners at the top.

So,..... I'm going to guess that the cover is a reproduction of a restored AF15.  

If my memory serves me, over a decade ago Matt N was making "imperfect" Af15 cover recreations for people with coverless copies.  

Ugh... that sounds very plausible. The timeline of purchase would be 2002. Oh, well... chalk it up to my emptor not doing enough caveating.

200.gif

Edited by oldrover

Analysis complete.

Back cover: No overt signs of color touch anywhere. Not on the spine line and not any of the myriad of fractures crisscrossing the entire cover in any color areas. So far so good. I also don't see any signs of any trimmed cover edges or page ends, where visible.

Front cover: Is inconclusive. Could be color touch on the upper right area and top left area; also a few areas in other places. Just can't get a clear enough look from the original, relatively low-res scan.

On 10/4/2018 at 12:42 PM, oldrover said:

I bought it almost 20 years ago... really haven't looked at it since until today. I was told it was restored... my guess is one of these three:

1. Completely new cover. After looking at it today, I don't think that's the case, but then again, what I don't know can fill volumes. LOL

If that's the case, I'll get an NR rating... it'll still sell though. One just went for over $5000 on eBay... coverless book with a cover reproduction. That would be the worst.

2. Cover taken from another book, restored, and placed on this one. That means a Qualified label, correct? 

3. Original cover restored. That's what I'm hoping for. My son said, "What if it comes back unrestored?" After I stopped laughing... ;)

Here are some last minute photos before I shipped it... what's your (far more educated) guess as to the outcome? I'm good with whatever... hey, it will look FABULOUS in a CGC holder. :)

842787463_IMG_31681.thumb.JPG.bac9166728e62397d4263a4a8837bf0a.JPG

IMG_3169.JPG

IMG_3170.JPG

There are piece infills in all 4 corners, including the back cover, and at minimum color touch along most of the spine.  Hard to tell much else without seeing it in hand.  Almost certainly cleaned as well.  

5 hours ago, Transplant said:

I will eat that cover if it's not a reproduction.

Not a repro cover. The surface is correct for that issue. The wear is old. You can tell when someone attempts to artificially impart wear/aging/stains, etc. on a reprint or repro. This looks totally authentic to me. Question is if the areas that "look like they are touched up" actually are. I'm leaning towards 55/45 yes, but the nature of the inks used in the production of this book, not just one brown, not just one black, makes it very difficult to be 100% sure judging by the resolution I have to work analytic magic with.

On 10/8/2018 at 10:36 PM, James J Johnson said:

Not a repro cover. The surface is correct for that issue. The wear is old. You can tell when someone attempts to artificially impart wear/aging/stains, etc. on a reprint or repro. This looks totally authentic to me. Question is if the areas that "look like they are touched up" actually are. I'm leaning towards 55/45 yes, but the nature of the inks used in the production of this book, not just one brown, not just one black, makes it very difficult to be 100% sure judging by the resolution I have to work analytic magic with.

I think the smart money is that it is a copy of an actual restored cover. 

2 hours ago, Transplant said:

I think the smart money is that it is a copy of an actual restored cover. 

I believe that too. This is a case where no matter how I try to enhance the image, I can't point to a certain spot and state with assurity, "See this right here, two inches down from the top right corner? That's likely touched up". My money's on there being something augmented or diminished too. I just can't positively pin down a procedure in any spot based on the scan I have to work with.

On 10/8/2018 at 11:36 PM, James J Johnson said:

Just to be clear, the inks they used to print comics with were Cyan , Magenta, Yellow, and Black.  The browns on this book were created using a dot matrix mix of these. 

And Mr Transplant wont be eating any covers, this is clearly a reproduction copy made from scans of a restored AF 15.  The interior photo top edge overhang is the tell, its bone white.   If it was done by Matt back in the day, he used scans of restored copies to use as "repro covers" so people would not try and sell the comic as a flawless original. And if they did try and pawn it off as original it would at least have to be sold as "restored"

Or at least that's how I understood it.

Edited by Ze-man

27 minutes ago, Ze-man said:

Just to be clear, the inks they used to print comics with were Cyan , Magenta, Yellow, and Black.  The browns on this book were created using a dot matrix mix of these. 

And Mr Transplant wont be eating any covers, this is clearly a reproduction copy made from scans of a restored AF 15.  The interior photo top edge overhang is the tell, its bone white.   If it was done by Matt back in the day, he used scans of restored copies to use as "repro covers" so people would not try and sell the comic as a flawless original. And if they did try and pawn it off as original it would at least have to be sold as "restored"

Yikes. Okay... screw Homer's beer...

giphy.gif

LOL... man, I am lucky that Spidey has taken off so much, and I can still make something off this with a repro cover. :) Kind of douchey for someone to sell this to me not disclosing the facts, but it is what it is. <shrug>

51 minutes ago, Ze-man said:

That's the way I remember it too.  I thought it was a brilliant strategy for Matt.

Zeman, I haven't seen a post from you in a long time.  I still love the Archie 1 you worked on for me.

Well, the verdict is in...

Amazing Fantasy 15 8/62 Marvel Comics   B-4 6.0 CREAM TO OFF-WHITE Restoration includes: color touch, pieces added, tear seals, cleaned, reinforced, re-glossed.

And here are the grader notes... it's a Frankenbook... I'm not sure if I'd be better off selling it as a repro cover! LOL

IAF15 grader notes.JPG

Edited by oldrover
added comment