NYCC 2019 -- It's still Never too Early, October 3-6
4 4

100 posts in this topic

24,411 posts
34 minutes ago, the blob said:

Man, I got so spoiled getting free passes for me and my family so many years in a row. My connection won't be there this year so I am out of luck.

 

Industry Pro 4 Day pass came to $70.  I think I remember paying around $30 a few years ago.

Don’t know if I would go for all four days if I had to pay full price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20,247 posts
1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Industry Pro 4 Day pass came to $70.  I think I remember paying around $30 a few years ago.

Don’t know if I would go for all four days if I had to pay full price. 

$70 for 4 days isn't bad. Last time I had a "presenter" badge and people kept on asking me what I was presenting, but in prior years he had gotten me VIP passes. Fact is, I should just save the money I'd be spending on comics as it is harder and harder to find a great deal at that show. Maybe I do the one out in Long Island 2 weeks prior. Anyone have a sense of that one?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
265 posts
14 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

If you read the IDW / Byrne announcement carefully .....

you have the OPPORTUNITY to have 5 non-IDW items signed by Byrne.  I interpret this as Byrne will sign his IDW book for free but you have an opportunity to pay him to sign up to 5 non-IDW items for a not yet disclosed fee.  Given his recent show appearances, he won't sign for CGC signature series / witnessed autographs.

hm

 

This upsets me because I just threw my money at them for the artifact without even considering the fine print. This is rude.

Whatever, I'll take it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,411 posts
33 minutes ago, the blob said:

$70 for 4 days isn't bad. Last time I had a "presenter" badge and people kept on asking me what I was presenting, but in prior years he had gotten me VIP passes. Fact is, I should just save the money I'd be spending on comics as it is harder and harder to find a great deal at that show. Maybe I do the one out in Long Island 2 weeks prior. Anyone have a sense of that one?

 

$70 still doesn't bother me.  I have the LIRR pass so it is just another ride into the city as far as I am concerned and nothing extra out of my pocket.  I have given up on finding comic deals.  I will go and hopefully commission a sketch, or buy a page of art or do some toy hunting.  I mostly go to walk around and get Halloween costume ideas lol

Occasionally though I run into a Golden Age book I cannot pass up on or another key that I enjoy. 

I stand by what I said a few months ago.  I am not selling off my collection but I refuse to simply buy stuff for the sake of buying more.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20,247 posts
2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

$70 still doesn't bother me.  I have the LIRR pass so it is just another ride into the city as far as I am concerned and nothing extra out of my pocket.  I have given up on finding comic deals.  I will go and hopefully commission a sketch, or buy a page of art or do some toy hunting.  I mostly go to walk around and get Halloween costume ideas lol

Occasionally though I run into a Golden Age book I cannot pass up on or another key that I enjoy. 

I stand by what I said a few months ago.  I am not selling off my collection but I refuse to simply buy stuff for the sake of buying more.  

True enough there aren't deals on expensive books for the most part. I enjoy the hunt for small gems. A couple of years back, the October before suicide squad, I spent about $1000 on assorted $1-3 box books and less. About 600 books over 4 days. I made it back on sales of about 50 of them, which was nice, but that was the last time I did much finding $25-50 books in $1-3 boxes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
265 posts

Question to any board members with experience getting Byrne signatures in the past.

Have you ever requested splash page signatures and if so, what is the general reaction? I'm more partial to them and would likely want to request this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
476 posts
3 hours ago, Naphtha said:

Question to any board members with experience getting Byrne signatures in the past.

Have you ever requested splash page signatures and if so, what is the general reaction? I'm more partial to them and would likely want to request this.

John will not sign books he did not write/draw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
265 posts
7 hours ago, catch21 said:

John will not sign books he did not write/draw.

RIght, what I'm asking is he willing to take the extra 5 seconds to open the front cover and sign on the splash page rather than just on the front cover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,513 posts

Back in the days he used to sign splash pages with no problems. I still a few X-men & FF's that he signed on the splash page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,844 posts
On 9/18/2019 at 9:39 AM, Naphtha said:

RIght, what I'm asking is he willing to take the extra 5 seconds to open the front cover and sign on the splash page rather than just on the front cover.

Depends on what mood he is in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,632 posts

Byrne did the show in Boston a few months ago.  Read that thread for insight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,632 posts

Frank Miller appearing Sunday only.

Last year, he had an assistant selling autographed merchandise for him at his artist alley booth all 4 days even if Frank was not there. I suspect he might do the same this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,095 posts

Does anybody know what CGC's booth number is? It doesnt come up under their vendor listing for some reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,411 posts
32 minutes ago, MisterX said:

Does anybody know what CGC's booth number is? It doesnt come up under their vendor listing for some reason. 

They usually have at least two spots set up.  I would not call what they have a booth but more of an area with MANY tables. 

There is one that you cannot miss at all due to size of it.  That is a rather large section where you can approach on multiple sides.  This is in the middle of all of the other comic book areas. There is also another one to the side of artist alley to submit things for yellow labels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,046 posts
On 9/19/2019 at 5:55 PM, NelsonAI said:

Byrne did the show in Boston a few months ago.  Read that thread for insight.

In the events section?  I dont see anything on byrne there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,632 posts

I'm sorry, Byrne did the Fan Expo Boston show in 2018.  :facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,095 posts
6 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

They usually have at least two spots set up.  I would not call what they have a booth but more of an area with MANY tables. 

There is one that you cannot miss at all due to size of it.  That is a rather large section where you can approach on multiple sides.  This is in the middle of all of the other comic book areas. There is also another one to the side of artist alley to submit things for yellow labels. 

Thanks, Buzz, I'll keep my eyes peeled for it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
285 posts

They were at booth 2522 in 2015 -17 and last year it was 2527 , sorry I don’t have any numbers for artists alley,  chances are they will be in the same area 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,844 posts
23 hours ago, 1webslinger said:

They were at booth 2522 in 2015 -17 and last year it was 2527 , sorry I don’t have any numbers for artists alley,  chances are they will be in the same area 

2522 and S1B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
102 posts

Do any of you know how open the vendors are to trading comics at the con? I was thinking about bringing a pile of marvel bronze age comics that I have duplicates off, but if the chances are slim I'd rather save the luggage space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
4 4