• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will the Dog ever Wag its Tail again?
1 1

48 posts in this topic

Coming out of few discussions on the forum, I was wondering if we will ever see a character created in comics again that becomes popular through the medium of comics and drives all the other media appearances. A friend of mine made the arguement that Spider-Man was the last comic character that this happened (50 years ago!) with and there has not been a crossover character since thats popularity grew out of the comics into other areas. I think that ship has sailed personally and the dog will forever wagged by its tail (movies/TV). Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Besides the others mentioned....

Deadpool and Harley Quinn, also punisher...

1 minute ago, oakman29 said:

How about Laura Kinney, X- 23?

They've all been on t-shirts, mugs, video games etc.

I wonder what specifically other than t.v. or movies was the OP looking for?

I would say characters like Deadpool, Harley Quinn, X-23 had little if any recognition outside of comics until the movies hit and became mainstream. None of their popularity in the outside world was generated through the comics they appeared in. 

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

"Driving all other forms of media" lol

That confused me

"drives all the other media appearances" would mean that the stories and art from the comics would be used for TV, movies, merchandise etc. Like how JRs Spider-Man art is used for the Spideys t-shirts, mugs etc. 40 years later.

I didn't mention spidergwen because it is Spiderman related, but she's been marketed outside of movies tv for quite a while. 

Harley Quinn first appeared on tv so I get your point there.

I disagree about deadpool

Deadpool was so popular in comics that recent college graduates spent their own money to come up with an unlicensed video game that was so good that it got approval.

Then came the movies

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I didn't mention spidergwen because it is Spiderman related, but she's been marketed outside of movies tv for quite a while. 

Harley Quinn first appeared on tv so I get your point there.

I disagree about deadpool

Even now if you showed a picture of Spider-Gwen to a person on the street right now they would have no idea who she was. Same with Deadpool four years ago.

Just now, Krydel4 said:

Even now if you showed a picture of Spider-Gwen to a person on the street right now they would have no idea who she was. Same with Deadpool four years ago.

I get your point but you give Spider-Man 40 years when there were Spiderman cartoons in the 60s and 70s...

If you showed a picture let alone a copy of amazing fantasy 15 in the 60s, you were shunned as a nerd so people wouldn't know who you'd have been talking about then either... @Krydel4

Not so 4 years ago with deadpool

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I get your point but you give Spider-Man 40 years when there were Spiderman cartoons in the 60s and 70s...

My original point of the post was that a characters popularity in comics gained mainstream attention that led to companies approaching Marvel to licence the character for pajamas, t-shirts, cartoons etc. Using Spider-Man, as an example, his popularity sky rocketed within the first year of the characters release. He gained the majority of his mainstream popularity because of his comics not because of a TV show or Movie. Deadpools mainstream popularity was gained because of the movie, not his comics.

2 minutes ago, Krydel4 said:

My original point of the post was that a characters popularity in comics gained mainstream attention that led to companies approaching Marvel to licence the character for pajamas, t-shirts, cartoons etc. Using Spider-Man, as an example, his popularity sky rocketed within the first year of the characters release. He gained the majority of his mainstream popularity because of his comics not because of a TV show or Movie. Deadpools mainstream popularity was gained because of the movie, not his comics.

The video game came before the movies, made by two college graduates who were fans, was unlicensed was played by them on pc for years, that eventually got licensed and deadpool wasn't portrayed in movies until a year later....

Deadpool has been popular same as wolverine, and has a very similar comic work history. Both first appeared in a comic, then both were optioned as a 4 part limited series, then both got their own ongoing title that came monthly.

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

The video game came before the movies, made by two college graduates who were fans, was unlicensed was played by them on pc for years, that eventually got licensed and deadpool wasn't portrayed in movies until a year later....

Deadpool has been popular same as wolverine, and has a very similar comic work history. Both first appeared in a comic, then both were optioned as a 4 part limited series, then both got their own ongoing title that came monthly.

Heck even both were optioned as weapon x programs, both flew under the radar until a 5-10 years ago because books were so common...