• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will the Dog ever Wag its Tail again?
1 1

48 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Krydel4 said:

Even now if you showed a picture of Spider-Gwen to a person on the street right now they would have no idea who she was. Same with Deadpool four years ago.

I would have know 4 years ago  :foryou: I'll leave it at that

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

The video game came before the movies, made by two college graduates who were fans, was unlicensed was played by them on pc for years, that eventually got licensed and deadpool wasn't portrayed in movies until a year later....

Deadpool has been popular same as wolverine, and has a very similar comic work history. Both first appeared in a comic, then both were optioned as a 4 part limited series, then both got their own ongoing title that came monthly.

I get that you like Deadpool. However, all of his mainstream success is due to the movies not to the comics or a videogame. You could say Ryan Reynolds is more directly responsible for Deadpools popularity and success than anything Marvel has ever published for the character. Most of my friends when the first X-Men movie came out asked me "the comic guy" who the characters were save for the one with the claws who they knew as Wolverine.

2 minutes ago, Krydel4 said:

I get that you like Deadpool. However, all of his mainstream success is due to the movies not to the comics or a videogame. You could say Ryan Reynolds is more directly responsible for Deadpools popularity and success than anything Marvel has ever published for the character. Most of my friends when the first X-Men movie came out asked me "the comic guy" who the characters were save for the one with the claws who they knew as Wolverine.

I understand :) Everyone I knew were not comic people at the time, including me, but we were as kids so we knew..... it's part of the reason that I got back into collecting... I think I bought my last comic in 1996 and started up again in 2014...... with a vague impression of what I liked...

Different experiences for different people, I get it. I've seen on the boards where people have touted that Spider-Gwen was known by peoples kids they knew, so I have had a different experience than you. I've seen this conversation come up before, and that Spider-Gwen was everywhere for a while and a lot of people knew.... just fyi :foryou: 

15 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Even now if you showed a picture of Spider-Gwen to a person on the street right now they would have no idea who she was. Same with Deadpool four years ago.

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

I guess Hellboy with 2 movies under his belt.

-and with the belt come-pouches

Screenshot 2018-10-04 at 10.02.35 PM.png

ok so the question is will a comic book character ever again enter the mainstream popular consciousness purely thru his/her comic book appearances.

Nope. Not as the current market stands...

Only the top 5 comics in a given year have orders over 200k. 

compare that to a moderately successful Marvel movie that introduced a character (say Ant Man) which sold 18 MILLION tickets. Thats 100x more than a current comic.

Add the fact that entey to market is far easier with movies (lots of people go to movies, where they can choose a hero movie) than comics (few people just wander into a comicbook store).

The only way I could see this happen was if the distribution model majorly changed to something mainstream (like comic books became distributed on the Netflix platform)

Rank of how comics enter mainstream:

1. Movies

2. TV (live action)

3. TV (cartoon)

4. Video Game

5. Musical

6. directly via comic/graphic novel.

oh and the last comic to go mainstream  (small scale) was Alison Bechdel's Fun Home (2006-7). I had civilians asking/talking about it... and then they put it on Broadway.

Edited by miraclemet

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

ok so the question is will a comic book character ever again enter the mainstream popular consciousness purely thru his/her comic book appearances.

Nope. Not as the current market stands...

Only the top 5 comics in a given year have orders over 200k. 

compare that to a moderately successful Marvel movie that introduced a character (say Ant Man) which sold 18 MILLION tickets. Thats 100x more than a current comic.

Add the fact that entey to market is far easier with movies (lots of people go to movies, where they can choose a hero movie) than comics (few people just wander into a comicbook store).

The only way I could see this happen was if the distribution model majorly changed to something mainstream (like comic books became distributed on the Netflix platform)

Rank of how comics enter mainstream:

1. Movies

2. TV (live action)

3. TV (cartoon)

4. Video Game

5. Musical

6. directly via comic/graphic novel.

I thought the question was has it happened since Spiderman :sorry:

Spiderman had cartoons in the 60s. The reason deadpool and wolverine haven't had cartoons, is because they aren't exactly your "friendly neighborhood" Spider-Man.

There are plenty that have entered the public consciousness since Spider-Man without t.v. or movies as stated on the first page of the thread. Only "disqualified" have been Harley Quinn who's first appearance was in a cartoon and perhaps deadpool.

That was the initial question 

Probably not unless there a huge market correction and teen / kids start reading books again in droves.  They could make a great Slapstick comic book series but the general public will only know who Slapstick is will be a successful movie or show.  Too few comic book readers to have new characters propagate into the social mind.

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I thought the question was has it happened since Spiderman :sorry:

Spiderman had cartoons in the 60s. The reason deadpool and wolverine haven't had cartoons, is because they aren't exactly your "friendly neighborhood" Spider-Man.

There are plenty that have entered the public consciousness since Spider-Man without t.v. or movies as stated on the first page of the thread. Only "disqualified" have been Harley Quinn who's first appearance was in a cartoon and perhaps deadpool.

That was the initial question 

I guess my point is since Spidey, I dont think it's happened with any of them (and Im not even sure Spidey was widely known in general pop culture back in the 60s/70s, I wasnt around back then, or wasnt old enough to know). 

I used presence in the macy's parade as a sign of general pop relavance. And spidey showed up in 1987, which was also when he got married in Shea staduim. His cartoon predated all this ('81) but even that was only 24 episodes...  but it did get re-run for multiple years in my reccolection. 

I dont think Wolverine or Deadpool entered the general widespread popular culture until after they had cartoons, movies. Same with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (cartoon) and Walking Dead (TV show), and on an on...

I think the 90s X-men cartoons expanded Wolverine a bit with kids, but then it popped with Hugh Jackman and the movies. 

And Deadpool was an unknown outside of comics until the movies. 

My further point is that current conditions are not conducive for it to happen thru means other than the ones I outlined. 

Maybe Archie? He's not widespread, but certainly has SOME slight non-comic book recognition, and that predated the TV show in the last couple years...  (OK I just looked and there were 17 episodes of a late 60s cartoon that came and went, I dont know that it did much for Archie's popular recognition.... but even he's had a little TV help)

Maybe comic book characters who also had comic strips could have wide success, but most of those also had some media influence (Superman, Batman, Spiderman)

12 hours ago, Krydel4 said:

I would say characters like Deadpool, Harley Quinn, X-23 had little if any recognition outside of comics until the movies hit and became mainstream. None of their popularity in the outside world was generated through the comics they appeared in. 

I am less sure about Deadpool. My kid, with no prodding from me, was into deadpool well before the movie and so were his friends. Harley has been popular for a long time because she was showing up in the cartoons around the same time as she was showing up in comics. The cartoons probably had a bigger mainstreaming impact. If anything, Harley in the movie might have made her less popular as Suicide Squad stunk.

12 hours ago, Krydel4 said:

"person on the street"? If that person was a boy from 6 - 18 I would disagree on Deadpool. People were wearing Taco Tuesday t-shirts who may have never read the comic.

Admittedly it is a newer thing, but hundreds of thousands of people are reading comics on line. Not just through the Marvel and DC apps, but through videos where someone goes through the comic and frigging reads it. My son was watching one the other day, I was like "you're too lazy to read a comic???"  The videos had hundreds of thousands of views each. This is how he is familiar with the Marvel and DC universes despite not having read THAT many comics, he has had them read to him, FOR FREE!

13 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I will try it again...

Wolverine

Yes I believe Wolverine got really popular due to just being the "Wolverine" in the comics..Sure Wolverine become more popular when the movies came out but the Wolverine was very popular before any movies were made.