• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will the Dog ever Wag its Tail again?
1 1

48 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

Yes I believe Wolverine got really popular due to just being the "Wolverine" in the comics..Sure Wolverine become more popular when the movies came out but the Wolverine was very popular before any movies were made.

Really comic book popular? yes, totally. 

Asking random people who he is and having them know? No. (my opinion)

5 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Really comic book popular? yes, totally. 

Asking random people who he is and having them know? No. (my opinion)

Of course you could say the same for Spider-man before cartoons and such..... imo I think that no character has gotten wide spread attention without the context of T.V. movies..... it just hasn't happened. This thread should be renamed to has the dog ever wagged his tail....... superman, Batman, wonder woman etc were not well known before T.V. Movies etc. imo

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Of course you could say the same for Spider-man before cartoons and such..... imo I think that no character has gotten wide spread attention without the context of T.V. movies..... it just hasn't happened. This thread should be renamed to has the dog ever wagged his tail....... superman, Batman, wonder woman etc were not well known before T.V. Movies etc. imo

with the exception of "maybe" superman and Captain America, perhaps WW during the war

6 hours ago, miraclemet said:

I guess my point is since Spidey, I dont think it's happened with any of them (and Im not even sure Spidey was widely known in general pop culture back in the 60s/70s, I wasnt around back then, or wasnt old enough to know). 

Spidey had a cartoon series in the 60s and a live action TV series and a live action film in the 70s so even his popularity in pop culture wasn't solely the result of comic books

On 10/4/2018 at 10:55 PM, Krydel4 said:

Coming out of few discussions on the forum, I was wondering if we will ever see a character created in comics again that becomes popular through the medium of comics and drives all the other media appearances. A friend of mine made the arguement that Spider-Man was the last comic character that this happened (50 years ago!) with and there has not been a crossover character since thats popularity grew out of the comics into other areas. I think that ship has sailed personally and the dog will forever wagged by its tail (movies/TV). Thoughts?

Spawn. 

Started out as a comic book first than went on to have video games, action figures, animated show than movie about it.

Actually Spawn got its big budget movie in a far shorter period than Spider-Man did.

Related image             

image.jpeg.7f543750f4311c3601851cbcc6975e0a.jpeg     Image result for spawn video game playstation

Image result for spawn action figures 90s

16 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

Spidey had a cartoon series in the 60s and a live action TV series and a live action film in the 70s so even his popularity in pop culture wasn't solely the result of comic books

Same thing with Batman and Superman.

More people were introduced to Batman and Superman because of their tv shows than the comics.

image.jpeg.32a3da0456031983d787186a2d5ff655.jpeg

Image result for george reeves superman         Image result for batman 1966 west

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

So my conclusion is that comic books and their distribution method, as a singular medium, cannot drive significant non-comic reading populations to adopt them. 

Best selling books are read by non-typical book readers (examples: 50 Shades of Grey, The Martian, Harry Potter).

Massive movies pull audiences that include nontypical movie goers, same with TV.

I would say the last big non-comic audience (spurred purely by comics and not TV or movies) came with the death of superman, and that was a one off event that probably only held onto a small percentage of "new to comics" readers. Most non typical readers came in bought the "event" (partially fueld by speculation) and never returned.