• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarest of Marvel Legacy Lenticular Variants?

14 posts in this topic

I passed on these at the time, but picked up a few out of dollar bins a couple of weeks ago. They're kinda cool for a buck.

It really seems like these are mostly a bust.  I usually don't buy in to to these type of books, but I did on these and nothing has happened at all with them except they've all gone below cover price....:tonofbricks:.  With that being said, the Infinity Gauntlet #1 homage and Moon Knight homage are the ones I think I've seen sell for more than cover, even double cover on a few occasions.  I will just sit on all my copies of the books and maybe something happens with them down the road.

On 10/5/2018 at 1:08 PM, F For Fake said:

I passed on these at the time, but picked up a few out of dollar bins a couple of weeks ago.

Wish I could do this, as my LCS ordered a long box extra of these Marvel lenticulars :insane: smelling a gold mine but are still at cover price.

The Mattina Venom, ASM 129, GSX 1, and Thanos 13 sell well at shows for $8 - $30 (Thanos #13 due to 1st Cosmic GR), but the rest are slow due to the massive oversupply. That being said, they did sell out for the most part the first two weeks locally. However, Marvel/Diamond blew their remaining stock out at larger discounts for retailers towards the end of the lenticular run,so some of the local stores restocked and still have copies sitting on the shelves at cover. 

As far as the rarest question, there were some books in Week 1 that were harder to find since the local stores did not order a ton of the slow titles (e.g. that Royals one). However, with the Marvel/Diamond blow out sale it was evident there were plenty still available for back order if demand was there for them.

Edited by kimik

Unfortunately it just shows how great the artwork used to be versus what they are now.  I honestly could not find a single cover where I preferred the new cover art to the old one.  That's why nobody is buying them.

Now if there was one where it transitioned from a Jim Lee cover to a Scott Campbell cover (for example) it would sell like hotcakes.

3 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Unfortunately it just shows how great the artwork used to be versus what they are now.  I honestly could not find a single cover where I preferred the new cover art to the old one.  That's why nobody is buying them.

Now if there was one where it transitioned from a Jim Lee cover to a Scott Campbell cover (for example) it would sell like hotcakes.

I also think that the lenticular action on these was just not that good. They're sloppy, it's difficult to hold them at any angle to get the complete cover of either version. At least that's my experience with the handful that I picked up. The initial DC lenticular "3D" covers sold well in part because they looked GREAT! These, not so much.

24 minutes ago, F For Fake said:
4 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I also think that the lenticular action on these was just not that good. They're sloppy, it's difficult to hold them at any angle to get the complete cover of either version. At least that's my experience with the handful that I picked up. The initial DC lenticular "3D" covers sold well in part because they looked GREAT! These, not so much. 

I think a lot of the stories were simply unmemorable.  Thanos #13 being the standout as (previously mentioned) included the 1st appearance of the Cosmic Ghost Rider.  But otherwise from a story perspective, there was nothing to potentially drive up market value which is probably a greater reason why these books are selling for below cover price.  Good cover art doesn't equate to higher market value.

As for the quality of the lenticulars themselves, I agree that for whatever reason, the execution was poor.  If you look at the Batman/Flash lenticulars for the Button storyline, they were well done.  But even a simple cover like Spider-Gwen wasn't pulled off well.  For many of the other covers, I think the art was just too busy to lend itself well to the lenticular treatment.

32 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Good cover art doesn't equate to higher market value.

It doesn't?  There are plenty of examples that says cover art equate to higher market value.  Cover variants by popular artists make money on this premise.  Cover art is a factor in comic book collecting (not the only factor...but a factor nonetheless).

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Absolutely agree.  Those initial DC "3D" covers were fantastic looking.  I went out of my way to add them to my collection.  Not so much these legacy ones.

Best lenticular cover ever:sumo:...Jim Lee's Superman Unchained #1:x

20181012_155425.jpg.76fefcc2ae72cd04cf8a7818ee9061fe.jpg

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
Because

6 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

It doesn't?  There are plenty of examples that says cover art equate to higher market value.  Cover variants by popular artists make money on this premise.  Cover art is a factor in comic book collecting (not the only factor...but a factor nonetheless).

What I meant is that it's not a guarantee to increase the value of a comic.  There are mountains of books by great artists whose value has barely been affected.  Superman Unchained #1 with an amazing cover by Jim Lee had a cover price of $4.99 and yet I see it on eBay for $2.99.

For whatever reason, when I was responding to your post, I was thinking you were making a connection between cover art and book values.  But reading back, I see that wasn't the case at all.  Instead I combined the topic of your post along with someone further back and the end result was a misunderstanding on my part.