• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Truly Dissatisfied With Service
1 1

109 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, mysterio said:

It’s possible that this is the Friday thread. 

No, I don't think so. It would've been 'truley disattisfied' if so. 

4 hours ago, Lhel1271 said:

I just wanted to say that- as a first-time user of this service- I am truly dissatisfied.  When I first acquired my comic books as a little boy, I hardly looked at them, and they were well stored in a sturdy comic box, with acid-free backers and bags, in a climate-controlled safe and stress-free environment.  When I got my comics back from my first grading, I was shocked to see that they had been given 8.0 grades.  There had been nothing done to warrant such a mark.  I am sorry that I had to be a paid member to get express servicing done but it will be the last time I do so. 

Lanny

Hey buddy, there is a good chance that many of your comics have Non Color Breaking Bends/dents/Creases.

I find these are the things that usually throw most people off when submitting to CGC.  They are the "invisible" defects that you can't see unless angling your books perpendicular to a bright light source.

These types of defects can take what seem to be a NM 9.4 book down to VF 8.0 in no time.

5 hours ago, Lhel1271 said:

I just wanted to say that- as a first-time user of this service- I am truly dissatisfied.  When I first acquired my comic books as a little boy, I hardly looked at them, and they were well stored in a sturdy comic box, with acid-free backers and bags, in a climate-controlled safe and stress-free environment.  When I got my comics back from my first grading, I was shocked to see that they had been given 8.0 grades.  There had been nothing done to warrant such a mark.  I am sorry that I had to be a paid member to get express servicing done but it will be the last time I do so. 

Lanny

Either:
A-CGC is completely incompetent and none of the collectors with an infinite amount of knowledge have noticed this, or

B-your grading skills are lacking

14 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I'd wager that the vast majority of us were surprised/disappointed on our first sub. I know I was. And what I found out was: I wasn't very good at grading. 20 years (or so) of slabbing later, and I'm now moderately ok at grading! There's no question that there are issues with consistency in CGC's grading over the years (tight periods vs loose periods, etc) and no one is perfect, but chances are that your 8.0's truly are 8.0's. If you decide to stick around, you'll learn a lot and will have a lot of fun.

Yes merely post pics of books with spinal close ups and we can explain for you.

5 hours ago, Lhel1271 said:

Lanny

1 hour ago, FineCollector said:
3 hours ago, valiantman said:

Good info for adjusting expectations:  sellcomics.com

I'm a glass half-empty guy, and even I found that depressing.

There's no way the random "I have some comic books here" person has a half-full/half-empty 50/50 chance of having a gem.  They don't have squat and they need to know it. lol

6 hours ago, Lhel1271 said:

as a little boy, I hardly looked at them, and they were well stored in a sturdy comic box, with acid-free backers and bags, in a climate-controlled safe

A little boy with a climate-controlled safe.  Sounds legit.

1 hour ago, bounty_coder said:

Hey buddy, there is a good chance that many of your comics have Non Color Breaking Bends/dents/Creases.

I find these are the things that usually throw most people off when submitting to CGC.  They are the "invisible" defects that you can't see unless angling your books perpendicular to a bright light source.

These types of defects can take what seem to be a NM 9.4 book down to VF 8.0 in no time.

There's a good chance they have visible color breaks.

2 hours ago, kav said:
7 hours ago, Lhel1271 said:

Lanny

Either:
A-CGC is completely incompetent and none of the collectors with an infinite amount of knowledge have noticed this, or

B-your grading skills are lacking

If I have to choose between professionals who have graded literally a million comics (2 million?) comics which would be at least $20M in revenue, or an internet angry guy who has looked at his comics a handful of times in 20-30+ years and OWNS the comics in question, I usually trust the second guy when it comes to my comic grading.

*And yes, I get that CGC isn't perfect. Nor is any grader.

Edited by revat

2 minutes ago, revat said:

If I have to choose between professionals who have graded literally a million comics (2 million?) comics which would be at least $20M in revenue, or an internet angry guy who has looked at his comics a handful of times in 20-30+ years and OWNS the comics in question, I usually trust the second guy when it comes to my comic grading.

Its telling that he didnt post pics.  "Just believe me".  If I had 9.6s that got 8.0s I'd post pics like crazy!!!

2 minutes ago, kav said:

Its telling that he didnt post pics.  "Just believe me".  If I had 9.6s that got 8.0s I'd post pics like crazy!!!

Who is this Crazy, and where are these pics he's posted?

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

Who is this Crazy, and where are these pics he's posted?

Screenshot 2018-10-05 at 3.03.37 PM.png

3 minutes ago, kav said:
6 minutes ago, revat said:

At least 4,000,000 graded by CGC.  http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/totals/

I bet his books don't look this good:  

0778476021_1200.jpg

0778476021b_1200.jpg

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

I bet his books don't look this good:  

I guarantee there are spine tix and some corner creasing.

Edited by kav