• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Fantasy 15 value 2.5 restored label -Slight/ Mod C2

19 posts in this topic

Discussion of value of amazing Fantasy 15 - 2.5 restored label - Slight/Mod C2 - Color touch (Non-Archival material up to 1” x 1” front cover.  I have seen 2.0 prices with blue labels from $17,000-18,000 & 3.0 price of $23,000. So 2.5 would probably fit in the middle at $20,000, but how less with a restored label is my question?

On 10/5/2018 at 12:43 PM, Harveyalvan said:

Discussion of value of amazing Fantasy 15 - 2.5 restored label - Slight/Mod C2 - Color touch (Non-Archival material up to 1” x 1” front cover.  I have seen 2.0 prices with blue labels from $17,000-18,000 & 3.0 price of $23,000. So 2.5 would probably fit in the middle at $20,000, but how less with a restored label is my question?

That's a lot of CT, eliminating any hopes of a buyer purchasing to unrestore.  Without seeing the book, Marvel chipping, page quality, etc., unless the book really has eye appeal, even 10K sounds like a stretch.

32 minutes ago, Harveyalvan said:

The comic has tons of eye appeal and will gladly email pictures to whoever wants to see the book. Harvey0154@yahoo.com

no disrespect, but you're the one inviting opinions and asking for free appraisal advice.  If you want the best most complete advice (its fine if you don't), then you should post the pictures here as opposed to essentially getting people's personal email addresses. There's no reason you can't use board private messages either. If you're inviting potential buyers or soliciting (because that's what it seems like you're doing), do it at a more appropriate venue.  These aren't hard and fast rules, and its not a big deal, just seems like some questionable form.  And yes I get that you're new.

Just now, Harveyalvan said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I posted the pictures here. There are pictures before being slabbed and after.

It does have excellent eye appeal. However, I stand by my statement that this has a lot of restoration, including trimming on two sides. This book will appeal to someone that simply wants a copy. I think it's best to put a book like this in auction. Trying to figure out the FMV would just be anyone's guess. 

Or you could pay to have it restored correctly if you have the extra scratch and time to wait.  Might yield you a little extra return, but never anything like the unrestored copies.

11 hours ago, Harveyalvan said:

Thanks a lot for everyone’s comments & advice. I only wanted to point out CGC uses the phrase “Slight/ Mod.   Does slight mean what slight implies?

No, their take on 'slight' is probably much different than most . Ditto the word 'small'. In this case the trimmed on two sides is the biggest negative.  It cannot be undone or improved.  Collectors don't like it.  Your book has excellent eye appeal but the trimming will hurt the value.

4 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

No, their take on 'slight' is probably much different than most . Ditto the word 'small'. In this case the trimmed on two sides is the biggest negative.  It cannot be undone or improved.  Collectors don't like it.  Your book has excellent eye appeal but the trimming will hurt the value.

I agree. The "small" term CGC uses is not an adequate description. I think they should change to a percentage. Example: Book has 24% of the cover color touched versus "small amount of color touch" .

A friend had a CGC FF book that was color touched, the description said "small amount" but when we cracked it open to inspect it we were shocked by how much color touch was actually there. It was a lot. Nearly the entire spine, and several spots throughout the front cover.

Edited by Artboy99

I believe I read that CGC has graded, since the year 2000, almost 4 million comics. That’s a lot of comics!   I have no idea how many graders there are or how well they’re trained, but I believe I read that there are 3 graders and then a final grader who determines what the true grade is.   This is important because a lot of people are relying on their expertise and putting a lot of money on it, both in paying for grading and relying on those grades when buying those comics.  But when I think it through, it seems to me, that graders doing this job, doing a lot of the same thing constantly as a full time job, plus with 4 graders on every comic, that doesn’t mean they won’t ever make an error, but it should make it that much more difficult to be off by much.   So in that vein, common words like “slight” and “small” can’t mean the exact opposite. These are opinions using language to describe what these experts are viewing. I’d find it difficult to think these professional graders don’t know what slight and small means vs. other measurements like extensive. Surely, they have standards for these issues. Thanks for listening.

On 10/17/2018 at 12:36 PM, TC33 said:

Or you could pay to have it restored correctly if you have the extra scratch and time to wait.  Might yield you a little extra return, but never anything like the unrestored copies.

This, get it up to 6.0-8.0, and see a much better return.

Hero Restoration specializes on AF 15ns.

Edited by MastrCntrlProgram

CGC does quantify amount of color touch up in grader notes and defines their use of slight, moderate and extensive.  In the case of my Amazing Fantasy pictured earlier, grader notes describe restoration as follows: color touch 1” x 1” C-2  = Slight/Mod, re-glossing B-1 = (Slight), reinforcement to centerfold C-1 = (Slight), year seals to cover C-1 = (Slight).

9EE2017A-8A61-43EB-AA41-DB93E7BD45AF.png

C389F4B2-5C01-4E88-A4B3-3429B4CC14FD.png

On 10/19/2018 at 6:04 PM, Harveyalvan said:

I believe I read that CGC has graded, since the year 2000, almost 4 million comics. That’s a lot of comics!   I have no idea how many graders there are or how well they’re trained, but I believe I read that there are 3 graders and then a final grader who determines what the true grade is.   This is important because a lot of people are relying on their expertise and putting a lot of money on it, both in paying for grading and relying on those grades when buying those comics.  But when I think it through, it seems to me, that graders doing this job, doing a lot of the same thing constantly as a full time job, plus with 4 graders on every comic, that doesn’t mean they won’t ever make an error, but it should make it that much more difficult to be off by much.   So in that vein, common words like “slight” and “small” can’t mean the exact opposite. These are opinions using language to describe what these experts are viewing. I’d find it difficult to think these professional graders don’t know what slight and small means vs. other measurements like extensive. Surely, they have standards for these issues. Thanks for listening.

I think you need to keep in mind that your label is listed as Slight/Mod, with work done listed as not being professional.  And based on your notes, and looking at the book it seems pretty spot on.  Its not all Slight, nor is anything Extensive, its somewhere in between.  Slight/Mod.  C-2

And you could of course have more resto done to make the book look better, grade higher.  But the fact that it's been trimmed, and has had some sort of glossing agent applied to the cover will keep overall value down no matter how high an apparent grade you can achieve through more aesthetic work.   But that's of course a personal decision , risk/reward and all that.