• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very Low Grade ASM 121 - Rusty Staple, Pressing and Grading Questions

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have an very low grade heavy water stained Amazing Spiderman 121 that I got for a quarter in 1984.  I had put this book away for 25+ years and I never looked at it until I started collecting again about 6 months ago. 

That said, I know the bottom staple is destroying the book and I am considering just removing it myself to preserve what value this low grade book has left.  I had also considered getting it pressed to make it look nicer and maybe CGC graded and then maybe sitting on it for another 4-5 years before I sell it after I buy a higher grade book to replace it.

My questions are as follows:

1. Should I remove the staple myself?

2. Should I bother getting it pressed?

3. Should I bother submitting it to CGC for grading?  I think no.

4. Should I unload it "as is" and let the next buyer decide what they want to do? 

5. If I decided to unload it "as is", what grade would you consider this to be?  I think a 1.5 to 2.0 at best, but that may be too high given the damage the staple has done.

Thanks in advance

Front Cover

Scan_20181006 (4)

Back Cover

Scan_20181006 (2)

Inside Cover - Bottom Staple

IMG_1412

Bottom Staple Up Close

IMG_1409

Edited by shatter998
another typo corrected

I cannot give you advice on CGC Grading/Pressing or Replacing the Staple.

IMO that book is a GD/VG 3.0 as you did not mention nor did I see any spine splits or that the cover is detached which of course would lower the grade to a GD 2.0/GD+ 2.5.

I collect to collect and have no problem with low grade readers so I would leave the book as is and store it as I would any other comic in my collection.

In a Mylite with an Acid Free Board Away from All Light and Not Stored in an Unfinished Basement, Garage, Attic or Storage unit that is not Temperature Controlled.

3.0 GOOD/VERY GOOD (GD/VG): 
A used comic book showing some substantial wear. Cover shows significant wear, and may be loose or even detached at one staple. Cover reflectivity is very low. Can have a book-length crease and/or dimples. Corners may be blunted or even rounded. Discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor to moderate soiling is allowed. A triangle from 1/4" to 1/2" can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" to 1/4" square is also acceptable. Tape and other amateur repair may be present. Moderate spine roll likely. May have a spine split of anywhere from 1" to 1-1/2". Staples may be rusted or replaced. Minor to moderate staple tears and moderate stress lines may be present, as well as some rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple. Minor to moderate interior tears may be present.

In eBay Sold Listings there is a book that is probably a FR/GD 1.5/GD- 1.8 that sold for $53.00 and a CGC VG- 3.5 that sold for $105.00 so would there be any profit to be made (if that is what you are looking for) by having the book Pressed and Graded?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDERMAN-121-MARVEL-LOW-GRADE-DEATH-GWEN-STACY-1973-Key-Issue-/323392189307?hash=item4b4bad337b%3Ag%3A07sAAOSw2GJbbyQj&nma=true&si=eSSTId0Ee4bFqhe9P0R0Z8pjr8c%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The bottom staple is not "destroying" the book. If you keep the book in good storage conditions ( heat and humidity comfortable to human beings, not exposed to light (in a box) the rust is not getting any worse. 

1) Don't bother removing and replacing the staple. That would result - if sent to CGC - in a conserved grade. 

2) It would be a risky press, as the staple as pictured may well pull through the front cover

3) If you would like to have  CGC graded 2.5-3.0, sure, send it in for CGC grading.

4) If you want the $$, sure. Sell it. 

5) 2.5-3.0. 

Edited by Tony S