• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oddly Similar Comic Covers
11 11

897 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Juno Beach said:

There's some great examples but I wish there was a separate thread for intentional homages vs. swipes (or amazing coincidences). 

Yes, I called it 'oddly similar' for a reason Juno (thumbsu

16 hours ago, Juno Beach said:

There's some great examples but I wish there was a separate thread for intentional homages vs. swipes (or amazing coincidences). 

On 10/23/2020 at 9:57 AM, JazzMan said:

image.png.ce770329719a4277e9555ed9d1ac7092.pngimage.png.b63258734a7fabf2cd2af0315e07a8f6.png

:taptaptap:

This had bothered me for years and I finally looked it up after posting.  To my astonishment, the Avengers issue is a REPRINT of Amazing Adventures minus 3 pages.  And to give it that "original" look the faces of Captain America, Thor and the Vision added to the reprinted cover by John Romita.

20 hours ago, catman76 said:

The pretty boring code approved 1956 original and the 1962 British reprint with the cover partially redrawn and made much better...

creep.jpg.314accb5ee588a77b816352ebf4a5db4.jpg

As I recall, the British reprint covers are from photostats of the original covers submitted prior to them being toned down for code approval. So it is the "original" American covers that are actually redrawn. 

13 hours ago, rjpb said:

As I recall, the British reprint covers are from photostats of the original covers submitted prior to them being toned down for code approval. So it is the "original" American covers that are actually redrawn. 

Do you know why it had to redrawn to meet code approval? I don't see why one would be approved and the other not.

6 hours ago, Gaard said:

Do you know why it had to redrawn to meet code approval? I don't see why one would be approved and the other not.

That particular cover is a bit of a head scratcher. If you look at some of the other Atlas covers for which their seems to be changes made when comparing U.K. and U.S. usage, it generally seems that that while tame compared to pre-code covers, some covers were toned down a bit due to being a bit too menacing. In this case it's a bare beastly arm covered with a sleeve, and the head redrawn so it looks less terrified, though the original hardly looks "scarier" than a number of other post code Atlas covers. It's unclear as to whether these changes were made due to CCA complaints or anticipating possible trouble. 

I recall an article or thread showing a number of examples but couldn't find it, but here is one other example.

https://tombrevoort.com/2020/07/03/your-comics-code-at-work-mystery-tales-38/

On 10/24/2020 at 11:23 AM, JazzMan said:

This had bothered me for years and I finally looked it up after posting.  To my astonishment, the Avengers issue is a REPRINT of Amazing Adventures minus 3 pages.  And to give it that "original" look the faces of Captain America, Thor and the Vision added to the reprinted cover by John Romita.

The original was Gil Kane and that is pretty much one of my favorite covers in the Marvel Covers Artist edition.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 10/24/2020 at 12:23 PM, JazzMan said:

slight changes to the stones just below the 3 heads as well.