• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Foil covers and pressing?
2 2

26 posts in this topic

I know this has been a topic at some point.  Regardless, with the popularity of the foil convention covers, has it been determined if pressing can, should, and is useful on these cover treatments?  I have a few that have some mild spine creases that are not color breaking.  On a normal book I know they could be pressed out.  Can anything be done with the foil?

On 10/20/2018 at 7:49 AM, joeypost said:

I figured it out. 

Ok, so let me get this straight. 

If I am reading your post correctly, and didn't get lost in your verbose explanation of how to press foil covers.     You say you figured it out..does that sum up your post accurately? 

I don't want to put words in your mouth.

On 10/6/2018 at 9:54 AM, drotto said:

I know this has been a topic at some point.  Regardless, with the popularity of the foil convention covers, has it been determined if pressing can, should, and is useful on these cover treatments?  I have a few that have some mild spine creases that are not color breaking.  On a normal book I know they could be pressed out.  Can anything be done with the foil?

I think CGC recognizes the fact that foil covers are prone to creases and are more lenient with them. If the creases are indeed 'mild', I would not press.  

If the material is actually metal, or a metal amalgam, then it's usually of the "leaf" type, ultra-thin, and generally applied to a cardboard substrate. Since you're mostly dealing with cardboard, *generally* this can be manipulated by a press, to an extent. Think Venom #1, or, say, this book:

92f37a20079691c110d79f357c09a6c4.jpg

If you're talking about any kind of plastic material, like the so-called "chromium" books (X-O Manowar #0, for example, or Danger Girl #1 Go-Go)...you're generally going to be out of luck....or, at least, I've been unwilling to experiment with very high heat to see if the plastic can be re-molded without doing permanent damage to the surrounding area. 

The new DC convention foils look like the plastic kind, rather than the metal leaf applied to a cardboard substrate kind, but I could be wrong. Can you tell, drotto? If it's actual metal leaf applied to a cardboard substrate, then yes, they can sometimes be fixed.

5 hours ago, Ze-man said:

Ok, so let me get this straight. 

If I am reading your post correctly, and didn't get lost in your verbose explanation of how to press foil covers.     You say you figured it out..does that sum up your post accurately? 

I don't want to put words in your mouth.

Yes. 

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:00 AM, joeypost said:

Actually, you can. Thereare many embossed books that do not have foil covers that are regularly pressed. 

What about Chromium covers? I have one that has four small dents on the spine, no color breaks or anything else. Should it be pressed, is it a waste of time?

19 hours ago, Jimmy Daniels said:

What about Chromium covers? I have one that has four small dents on the spine, no color breaks or anything else. Should it be pressed, is it a waste of time?

Which book is it?

On 11/19/2018 at 8:00 PM, joeypost said:

Actually, you can. Thereare many embossed books that do not have foil covers that are regularly pressed. 

Hey man! Just joining in the discussion. I have the Spider-man Adventures 1 and it is embossed. There are some spine ticks that I think can be pressed but I'm not sure if it can be done

Edited by Kevin Noble

On 2/27/2019 at 11:06 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's not the right word.

Actually, when used generically, "amalgam" means any kind of mixture or combination.

You must have seen the definition for "amalgam fillings," which use mercury but are specific to dentistry.

So "amalgam" wasn't necessarily incorrect, although "alloy" is more specific to a mixture of metals.