Foil covers and pressing?
1 1

18 posts in this topic

I know this has been a topic at some point.  Regardless, with the popularity of the foil convention covers, has it been determined if pressing can, should, and is useful on these cover treatments?  I have a few that have some mild spine creases that are not color breaking.  On a normal book I know they could be pressed out.  Can anything be done with the foil?

On 10/20/2018 at 7:49 AM, joeypost said:

I figured it out. 

Ok, so let me get this straight. 

If I am reading your post correctly, and didn't get lost in your verbose explanation of how to press foil covers.     You say you figured it out..does that sum up your post accurately? 

I don't want to put words in your mouth.

On 10/6/2018 at 9:54 AM, drotto said:

I know this has been a topic at some point.  Regardless, with the popularity of the foil convention covers, has it been determined if pressing can, should, and is useful on these cover treatments?  I have a few that have some mild spine creases that are not color breaking.  On a normal book I know they could be pressed out.  Can anything be done with the foil?

I think CGC recognizes the fact that foil covers are prone to creases and are more lenient with them. If the creases are indeed 'mild', I would not press.  

If the material is actually metal, or a metal amalgam, then it's usually of the "leaf" type, ultra-thin, and generally applied to a cardboard substrate. Since you're mostly dealing with cardboard, *generally* this can be manipulated by a press, to an extent. Think Venom #1, or, say, this book:

92f37a20079691c110d79f357c09a6c4.jpg

If you're talking about any kind of plastic material, like the so-called "chromium" books (X-O Manowar #0, for example, or Danger Girl #1 Go-Go)...you're generally going to be out of luck....or, at least, I've been unwilling to experiment with very high heat to see if the plastic can be re-molded without doing permanent damage to the surrounding area. 

The new DC convention foils look like the plastic kind, rather than the metal leaf applied to a cardboard substrate kind, but I could be wrong. Can you tell, drotto? If it's actual metal leaf applied to a cardboard substrate, then yes, they can sometimes be fixed.

5 hours ago, Ze-man said:

Ok, so let me get this straight. 

If I am reading your post correctly, and didn't get lost in your verbose explanation of how to press foil covers.     You say you figured it out..does that sum up your post accurately? 

I don't want to put words in your mouth.

Yes. 

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:00 AM, joeypost said:

Actually, you can. Thereare many embossed books that do not have foil covers that are regularly pressed. 

What about Chromium covers? I have one that has four small dents on the spine, no color breaks or anything else. Should it be pressed, is it a waste of time?

19 hours ago, Jimmy Daniels said:

What about Chromium covers? I have one that has four small dents on the spine, no color breaks or anything else. Should it be pressed, is it a waste of time?

Which book is it?

On 10/6/2018 at 11:14 AM, joeypost said:

Yes, yes it can.

Have you ever pressed a Vengeance of Vampirella #1? If so what luck did you have? Thanks!

royal blue.jpg